What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Hop said:

8dc3da28c247afc2a7c0de05ce343a08.jpg

82f7642554cdfb6d1fd8e7dce5dff35e.jpg

In Owensboro earlier at J's Liquors where they have a great tasting area. Tried their 4R OESK pick and was impressed, tried the 1920 after and again wasn't impressed then tried the 4R Elliott's Select. The OESK store pick was the hands down winner so I picked up a few bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice tasting area. Must make a mental note to visit some day if I'm ever in the area.

11 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I LOVE that the shelves are pretty closely organized by distillery and mashbill. Very much caters to my OCD. 

I find my self looking at the shelving now and trying to see if it'll hold or not.  It looked a little flimsy.  

Wife was making some mint brownies this morning and I suggested using bourbon instead of water to make them mint julep brownies. She said go grab some bourbon.  I grabbed something that I wouldn't miss if it was used in cooking (Towne Branch).  Went ahead and had a sip and yep, it's still thin and just kind of there.  Guess I'm going to have to start cooking with bourbon a lot more so I can get rid of this bottle.

Saw this recipe over in the cocktails thread; JD with honey and iced tea. It's just the ticket to ride out Harvey as he passes thru the DC metro area. Drink in hand with A Bridge Too Far on the HDNet movie channel.

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Wife was making some mint brownies this morning and I suggested using bourbon instead of water to make them mint julep brownies. She said go grab some bourbon.  I grabbed something that I wouldn't miss if it was used in cooking (Towne Branch).  Went ahead and had a sip and yep, it's still thin and just kind of there.  Guess I'm going to have to start cooking with bourbon a lot more so I can get rid of this bottle.

Ha,  My wife enjoys cooking with bourbon, and my bottles are always changing, so I usually have one set aside that's "ok to use for cooking".

Usually 4R SmB, since its reasonably cheap, plentiful, and delicious.

We talked about using some real turds (gifted bottles of junk) for cooking and decided that if it wasn't something we'd actually drink, we didn't want it in our food either.

Let us know how those brownies turn out, btw.  Sounds like a genius idea.

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

A little Blanton's while packing some Blanton's.

acbfdf8518ae2222e6c61e734327d43a.jpg

hmm...  got any extra room in that suitcase?

Your posts this past week have been making my mouth water.

Can't get over how nice that LMDW blanton's bottle looks with the dark grey/blue label and the gold horse.  Just stunning.

Imagine that on a shelf with the light hitting it just right.

Edited by 0895

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Ha,  My wife enjoys cooking with bourbon, and my bottles are always changing, so I usually have one set aside that's "ok to use for cooking".

Usually 4R SmB, since its reasonably cheap, plentiful, and delicious.

We talked about using some real turds (gifted bottles of junk) for cooking and decided that if it wasn't something we'd actually drink, we didn't want it in our food either.

Let us know how those brownies turn out, btw.  Sounds like a genius idea.

The brownies are good.  Of course I think they need to be drizzled with additional bourbon after they come out of the oven but . . . lost that argument. :)

4 minutes ago, Sour Mash Esq. said:

Alternating RY10SiB and OGDBiB

Quite a difference in price there. What's your opinion of each?

Just poured a glass of RY10 in preparation for the big game tonight. I am very excited to be going to the new stadium on Monday night. 

1 hour ago, MTNBourbon said:

Second time around with this bottle, feels a little bit thicker.

sJ603w1.jpg

I will echo that. I really like what BF is doing with OF

MM46. This was bland to begin with, but I feel like it got even worse over the course of two weeks. It's always the same with all MM products, I can somehow tell that it is well made just by its texture and the way it drinks, but then, there is no bourbon taste that follows. Just mildly woody sweet alcohol. Not going to replace this bottle.

'Twas another scorcher here today, so I'm enjoying a local PS of KCSB over some ice. I didn't think this one would dilute we'll, but it's tasting mighty fine. I stuck the rest of the bottle in the freezer because I know I'll be going back for more before this heat subsides.

It's getting better and better, now I'm hitting the last quarter of the bottle and it shows the real potential of this whiskey, a well rounded, full flavored bourbon, quite smooth for the proof. From the nose which has improved with oxidation, in a good way, to the finish which is much longer compared to the first 3/4 of the bottle, no flaws on this one. I'm glad I've bunkered a few of this batch. 

Cheers! 

IMG_8877.JPG

Had a couple more pours of the 1792FP SP. Wow. This is truly getting better every night I've had it this week. 

1 hour ago, hn4bourbon said:

Had a couple more pours of the 1792FP SP. Wow. This is truly getting better every night I've had it this week. 

I am really enjoying my 1792 FP SP too.  Finding good store pics of FP is hard to beat for the value.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:47 PM, kevinbrink said:

I haven't had much opportunity to spend time with my younger brother lately so we decided to go big

IMG_20170831_233530574.jpg

Nice selection!   Be careful with the load capacity of the plastic cover on the Pioneer turntable...replacements can be hard to find! :)

Was having a glass of EHTSmB while reading and came across this article. Guess all things EH Taylor could get even harder to find if it starts stacking awards this season.  http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2017/09/colonel-e-h-taylor-jr-single-barrel-named-best-american-whiskey-at-2017-international-spirits-challenge-american-whiskey-news/

A good friend of mine I haven't seen in a while has helped me finish off a bottle of Old Forester 1920 this evening. Wonderful stuff, but I think it really needs some water to enjoy best. Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.