What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got the text that a Thomas H Handy is waiting for me! 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 2

19 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hi all!  Now that I've had a chance to sleep all night with my new 2017 George T. Stagg ($124.99 OTD, BTW!), here's my report ...

Excellent notes G! Friday night I popped my WLW and tasted it after the GTS ($106 OTD on each BTW!) :D and I'll say my experience mimics yours right down to the WOOF! The GTS was great, and kind of exactly what I expected, but the WLW was an intense experience to say the least. Both were exceptional pours, but that WLW elicited a loud WOW! I'm looking forward to opening and tasting my ORVW, Lot B and ER17. I'm hoping your findings on the ER17 and Lot B were due to their order in the rotation. I found the OFBB I tasted after the WLW to be bland and watered-down tasting as well... 

Edited by JTaylor
  • I like it 2

46 minutes ago, JTaylor said:
 Excellent notes G! Friday night I popped my WLW and tasted it after the GTS ($106 OTD on each BTW!) :D and I'll say my experience mimics yours right down to the WOOF! The GTS was great, and kind of exactly what I expected, but the WLW was an intense experience to say the least. Both were exceptional pours, but that WLW elicited a loud WOW! I'm looking forward to opening and tasting my ORVW, Lot B and ER17. I'm hoping your findings on the ER17 and Lot B were due to their order in the rotation. I found the OFBB I tasted after the WLW to be bland and watered-down tasting as well... 

WooHoo - $106 OTD for WLW and GTS!  Now THAT'S s great deal - would you adopt me????   :D

5 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

WooHoo - $106 OTD for WLW and GTS!  Now THAT'S s great deal - would you adopt me????   :D

Ah, if I could only see a bottle of WLW or GTS, much less take one out the door for $100+.  I guess a guy can dream.

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:
 19 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hi all!  Now that I've had a chance to sleep all night with my new 2017 George T. Stagg ($124.99 OTD, BTW!), here's my report ...

I too am hoping that GeeTen's take on the ER17 was due to that being a follow up to WLW & 15yrPappy. I've always found this one (ER) to be fabulous but never as a follow up to the MacDaddy WLW. There's a bar in town that used to keep the ER17 available at $30 a pop. Of course it was too much, and maybe at that price your mind always told you it was better? I had a celebration pour from time to time over the previous few years and each time I would tell myself awh, it's really not that good-and each time I was wrong. BUT, if given the chance like GeeTen to do em all and in the same order-count me in. :D

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

The ORVW and Lot B were $69 and $79... Sorry, I can't adopt you but I do miss the Framingham / Boston area. Worked for Bose for almost 9 years before they moved all our operations to Mexico. Traveled to Framingham a few times a year. (because you mentioned the Julio's is in Westborough, There was a Bose plant there too...)

Edited by JTaylor
  • I like it 1

No BTAC or PVW in Kansas City yet, but I grabbed a BH for $29 and a ER10 for $32 today.   Just visiting a few LS to stay in touch with the LE discussion, and like to walk out with a bottle in hand this time of year...

11 hours ago, starhopper said:

Just found Wild Turkey Rare Breed 112.8 Proof 375ml bottles for $9.50 at my local Class VI store!  Seriously great price so had to get four of them! 

Ft. Stewart?

12 hours ago, starhopper said:

Just found Wild Turkey Rare Breed 112.8 Proof 375ml bottles for $9.50 at my local Class VI store!  Seriously great price so had to get four of them! 

And here I was thinking I did good finding the 375s at $13.50. 

• I like it 1

In before the buzzer...thanks to one of the few nice LS owners in TN and a gifted OWA a few months back I grabbed my first BTAC bottle.

enhance

• I like it 1

On 11/26/2017 at 2:46 PM, GeeTen said:

Here are my impressions recalled from my notes and limited memory:

Important question: Now that you've had it all, where do you put FR Al Young? Worth picking that over WLW or GTS?

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Important question: Now that you've had it all, where do you put FR Al Young? Worth picking that over WLW or GTS?

I haven't had the Weller, but I'd take the Stagg over the Al Young personally.

3 hours ago, jshleffar said:

I haven't had the Weller, but I'd take the Stagg over the Al Young personally.

Same here, while the Al Young is great and kind of special, it's as tasty as a Stagg or a Weller, the 2015 SmB is still the winner in my book.

Will.

5 hours ago, Kane said:

WLW, GTS,  . . . . FRSmBLE Al Young.  IMHO, NO!  ^_^

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

^^^^agree, as the finish is the only thing I find a bit lacking in the Al Young.

That's not an issue with the WLW or GTS:P

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

Picked up a 375 of Blanton's today for $32 out the door. Pretty happy with that since I hardly ever see Blanton's and if I do it's $70-$90 for a 750. 

Picked up two bottles of GTS yesterday. One at MSRP and one at double that. Gotta do what you gotta do to play the game. I’ve got a couple of store lotteries yet to participate in, so we’ll see how it works out for any more BTAC. Pappy still hasn’t hit our market yet, but hopeful that I’ll get a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

what I assume is my last chance at BTAC fell through so I consoled myself.

Makers.jpg

What do you think of MM private picks? I've always wanted to pull the trigger on one but have never done so. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

What do you think of MM private picks? I've always wanted to pull the trigger on one but have never done so. 

I'll just say that if you don't like MM in general, these won't change your opinion. But let's hear MM fans chime in, folks seem to like these bottles a lot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.