What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I like the strategy! I've been keeping an eye on Total Wine inventory at local stores for a few things, and it looks like they got shipments in today or yesterday and $110 is their going rate (I buy 99% of my booze from TW as I'm trying to hit their Grand Reserve status by the end of the year, so I don't shop around as much - that way I may have a chance at BTAC next year). It's more of a case of 'make up my mind' than anything haha.

$110 for HWMWND at total wine? Wow, either that's a huge state by state variance or a huge year over year increase. Last year I bought 6 or 7 bottles of this at my local TW locations in MN for $64 plus tax each. 

It is a great product, in my opinion. Especially goes well with thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I give it as a gift around the holidays pretty frequently since it is unique and like I said I think it is seasonally appropriate. 

As previously mentioned you can try the Rendezvous Rye as well which is the base of the Dram. Also solid in its own right for $50 of less. 

It was $89.99 at TW here but I just missed out. Not too broken up about it. Another store (non TW) locally has it for $110.

didnt pass it up but rather missed out on some OF birthday bourbon.  Store manager said that some one from the distributor must have tipped people off that it was on the truck that day because, he claimed when he arrived to open the store there were already people waiting in line and he did not know it was going to be delivered that day.  Said he only knew it was on order.

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

$110 for HWMWND at total wine? Wow, either that's a huge state by state variance or a huge year over year increase. Last year I bought 6 or 7 bottles of this at my local TW locations in MN for $64 plus tax each. 

It is a great product, in my opinion. Especially goes well with thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I give it as a gift around the holidays pretty frequently since it is unique and like I said I think it is seasonally appropriate. 

As previously mentioned you can try the Rendezvous Rye as well which is the base of the Dram. Also solid in its own right for $50 of less. 

Yep, $109.99 was the price for it at all the TW stores here, and I believe it was an allocation (just checked online inventory, and it sold out from the TW I got it from last night). They had the Yipee Ki-Yay on the shelves at the store I normally frequent for $70 or $75, but I was told it was allocated and sold out at the store I got the MWND from. 

I gave it a try last night when I got home, and I did enjoy it. I was just going to get the Rendezvous Rye which is $60 here, but I was talking to a manager and he recommend I get the MWND if I wanted it, since it would be gone quickly (he was right, being that it's all gone from there today). 

24 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

didnt pass it up but rather missed out on some OF birthday bourbon.  Store manager said that some one from the distributor must have tipped people off that it was on the truck that day because, he claimed when he arrived to open the store there were already people waiting in line and he did not know it was going to be delivered that day.  Said he only knew it was on order.

He should have played dumb and sent those fools home.

"Nope.....wasn't on the truck.....sorry guys".

We have/had a group that did the same thing here....they literally follow the truck from store to store and then harass each store.

One of the local managers was telling me about it....same guys, every time, came in like gang members, minutes after the truck hit the dock. 

Were standing in his store, bothering him for bottles, while discussing with each other where the next stop was. 

He started going and picking up the allocated stuff himself in his own vehicle just to avoid it.

They do it with beer here too.  There's a very hard to get vanilla bean stout from a local micro that comes out every year and is sold in a chain of local grocery stores.  Last year 2 guys got almost 8 cases of it before the grocery chain liquor managers even realized what was going on. The truck drivers would drop the cases in the liquor dept. (like normal) and the guys would grab them and go to the register before the stuff was even processed.  It was already in the checkout system from corporate though, so they had no problem at the register.

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

We have/had a group that did the same thing here....they literally follow the truck from store to store and then harass each store.

One of the local managers was telling me about it....same guys, every time, came in like gang members, minutes after the truck hit the dock. 

Were standing in his store, bothering him for bottles, while discussing with each other where the next stop was. 

He started going and picking up the allocated stuff himself in his own vehicle just to avoid it.

They do it with beer here too.  There's a very hard to get vanilla bean stout from a local micro that comes out every year and is sold in a chain of local grocery stores.  Last year 2 guys got almost 8 cases of it before the grocery chain liquor managers even realized what was going on. The truck drivers would drop the cases in the liquor dept. (like normal) and the guys would grab them and go to the register before the stuff was even processed.  It was already in the checkout system from corporate though, so they had no problem at the register.

I guess I will sip what I can get. lol  saves me a little $$ for my next bottle is my best thought of how to look at it.

I guess this is bourbon?

I don't know..... I quit worrying about it after the clerk was gushing about how great it is.

......"but it just came in today?

Do you have one open for tasting?"

"No?  Ok..... But you juat said it's really great stuff?"

pass.

IMAG2464.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, kevinbrink said:

Wine finishes vary this is in Port barrels so definitely on the sweeter end of the spectrum, Angels Envy is similarly finished in port so that might be a good thing to try along with HWRR if you want to make a more educated decision without tasting first.

AE and MWND are certainly both port but MWND in the past to my palate at least tended to be a bit more heavily impacted by the finishing. I also seem to remember more than just port used for the finishing in the past but I could be thinking of YKY as well. The HW website does say only port for this one. In any case this is perhaps the first blend of MWND since David Perkins left so it would be of interest to see if it is different. That said I added a few to the bunker when I heard he was leaving so not sure I am going to pursue a bottle of the current vintage.

28 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I guess this is bourbon?

I don't know..... I quit worrying about it after the clerk was gushing about how great it is.

pass.

A new and rather unusual blend of whiskies from Beam with 13yo Corn Whiskey as a major ingredient.

• 4-year-old Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey
  • 13-year-old corn whiskey
  • About 6-year-old 100% malt whiskey
  • About 6-year-old high-rye whiskey

I don't know the actual proportions of each or if it has even been revealed. Mostly because I haven't that much interest at $80 or more.

I guess this is bourbon?

pass.
IMAG2464.thumb.jpg.fcbe93b5fc27366f26e3c04b6e8f5fc4.jpg

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :). Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

Great prices, but that is my point exactly.  They dont pay a premium because there are 25 locations of Twin Liquors in Austin.  If each location got 10 cases, they would sell all 250 cases within a week.  They would get this $$/credit I was talking about.

I guess your seller needs more stores then if he wants to compete for your business.

Edited by The Black Tot

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. [emoji4]. Thanks for sharing.

But it's great they told me so! I see this as a release from Beam whenever they have some aging barrels to offload.

Also it seems like Freddie been spending some time with the guys from Alberta.

Passed on some Blanton's at $100 and OFBB at $300. I definitely want to try Blanton's but not for $100. 

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :). Thanks for sharing.

The clerk at TW today was fawning over their FRSB ps.  I think its an OESF.  He told me how great it is. Me..do you have one open for tasting? Clerk looking at me like I have leprosy...oh no we don't do that.

He was also the same clerk that claimed they didn't get any FRSmBLE when the other two TW stores in town were selling theirs.

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember what the retail for Blanton's is supposed to be anymore...

Found more of the new ECBPs, it's all over town it seems. Ranging from $80 to $150. Insanity.

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember what the retail for Blanton's is supposed to be anymore...

Found more of the new ECBPs, it's all over town it seems. Ranging from $80 to $150. Insanity.

Blanton's is generally right around $60 retail in my area, but every state and locality is different. ECBP, since it's a bit more scarce, tends to range from $60 to $80 depending on the store. I'm usually only a buyer when I find it below $70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on Orphan Barrel Forged Oak at 65 bucks but got their last Blantons for retail.

That's actually less than I can get it for...Forged Oak is usually $75 to $80 in my area and Barterhouse is $95 to $100.

OFBB for #250 just sitting on the shelf, sad, as in insanity, thing is it will be gone tomorrow if not already gone.

OFBB for #250 just sitting on the shelf, sad, as in insanity, thing is it will be gone tomorrow if not already gone.

I was offered a couple bottles of OFBB a few weeks ago at $250 each and passed, the store has sold one at that price, but they still had the second bottle a few days ago when I was in the store. I wouldn't bet that it's gone tomorrow. They will sell it, but it may take longer than you think.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

In Ohio the State sets the minimum which is 53 bucks and change.  They can mark it up I guess but haven't had that yet. Paid 59.99 for store picks in Atlanta recently and my once a month stop in Kentucky charges 69.99 but he always has one for me so I pay it to further the relationship.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

The clerk at TW today was fawning over their FRSB ps.  I think its an OESF.  He told me how great it is. Me..do you have one open for tasting? Clerk looking at me like I have leprosy...oh no we don't do that.

He was also the same clerk that claimed they didn't get any FRSmBLE when the other two TW stores in town were selling theirs.

For whatever its worth, the TW pick is actually pretty good.  But I'm a self proclaimed 4R junkie.  Not thrilled with the pricing ($70) though.

:)

Edited by 0895

7 hours ago, Kane said:

$42-$46.  Most are $52-56 OTD!  Nice, eh?

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

I like chasing the LE stuff as much as the next guy but this doesn't seem very sporting to me. 

• I like it 1

For them its a business not a sport as most if not all they grab gets flipped, we have two groups that I know of, one in Fort Collins and one in Denver, guys with time and income that start to appear this time of year. Some LS are getting wise to them as they are pretty well known.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.