What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

...Last night was some EW SiB.  To me it's one of the best value pours.  Lots of flavor even though the proof is not quite as high as some.

having a home pour of EW SiB myself right now after  grilling some steaks and a productive work day...  i can see why this wouldnt be someone's favorite dram but i don't understand some of the negativity ive read elsewhere that say this is a poorly made bourbon. it may not have the backbone or kick like some others at the price point, but its still an easy, straightforward sip and for the price (i paid $24) i'm not complaining as something to reach for on a Tuesday night...

IMG_20180227_183801.jpg

IMG_20180227_183810.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm not having anything at the moment. I have to go out shortly. When I get back home, there's a possibility I may have a date with Sarah. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Got home, ate supper, then kicked back with a nice pour of SAOS 7 yr  99 proof.........Sarah.:D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

having a home pour of EW SiB myself right now after  grilling some steaks and a productive work day...  i can see why this wouldnt be someone's favorite dram but i don't understand some of the negativity ive read elsewhere that say this is a poorly made bourbon. it may not have the backbone or kick like some others at the price point, but its still an easy, straightforward sip and for the price (i paid $24) i'm not complaining as something to reach for on a Tuesday night...

IMG_20180227_183801.thumb.jpg.65ff396380bd38dddecf74eaf43073c0.jpg
IMG_20180227_183810.thumb.jpg.ddf89e116f063bcba3d4a8bab3d5c630.jpg

I don't think you'll see many of us on this forum talk very negative about EWSB. There will be some comments that it's younger than it used to be, and maybe not as good as it once was, but I think most of us still think it's pretty good stuff even at around 8 years of age. If you haven't tried Henry McKenna 10yo Single Barrel BIB, give it a try. It's even a better value than EWSB.
  • I like it 1

I made the mistake of opening a WTRB a few days ago. I've been into it every night since then. Including right now.

This is what happens when I open a WTRB.

They go quick.

• I like it 2

Found this at a liquor store a while back and I’m finally cracking it tonight. I can’t remember what year they used this label but I won’t pass up old age stated anything for only $15

image.jpg

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think you'll see many of us on this forum talk very negative about EWSB. There will be some comments that it's younger than it used to be, and maybe not as good as it once was, but I think most of us still think it's pretty good stuff even at around 8 years of age. If you haven't tried Henry McKenna 10yo Single Barrel BIB, give it a try. It's even a better value than EWSB.

fair enough, i'll admit most of the negative stuff i saw was on the r/bourbon sub on Reddit, maybe not the best place to peruse info on Bourbon? and while my experience with Henry McKenna BiB is extremely limited, i'm very much smitten with it, probably my favorite pour at the moment. its actually why i picked up the EWSB and a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch this weekend...  for me they are easier to procure than the HmK so i'm hoping i will enjoy them enough to be my "bunker defender" Bourbons so i don't go through my stash of HmK so quickly! plus being a few $$$ cheaper doesn't hurt as well...

12 hours ago, flahute said:

I made the mistake of opening a WTRB a few days ago. I've been into it every night since then. Including right now.

They go quick.

Same here, I got a bottle of the new 116p just because. I wasn't floored with the 112 so was merely curious about this new version. Once I tasted it, curiosity became obsession. I love this RB and its moved to the front line of open bottles.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

17 hours ago, flahute said:

They go quick.

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Same here, I got a bottle of the new 116p just because. I wasn't floored with the 112 so was merely curious about this new version. Once I tasted it, curiosity became obsession. I love this RB and its moved to the front line of open bottles.

I really don't think that I've ever worked down a bottle too quickly. :ph34r: Not a ps BT, not a Weller 12, not a OWA, not a....... HOLY COW!  Lightning almost struck my house. :o

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

This whiskey is like dessert in a bottle. Cherries Jubilee comes to mind 

P1040897.JPG

• I like it 2

0A3FA98A-7F77-435A-AE4A-7B6D17CEBC50.thumb.jpeg.e5d46f419ab2617e5fa5cf2076b8f357.jpeg

This stuff is going down fast. Love the proof, more approachable version of the beast but it’s still tasty as hell. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

0A3FA98A-7F77-435A-AE4A-7B6D17CEBC50.thumb.jpeg.e5d46f419ab2617e5fa5cf2076b8f357.jpeg

This stuff is going down fast. Love the proof, more approachable version of the beast but it’s still tasty as hell. Cheers! 

Will. 

Nice glass! Those guys are an entertaining pair to watch

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Yum!! I love this stuff! 128.1 proof of goodness :D

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.0a2da1fb4306caf3f097b61468c2932f.JPG

Where ya been man?!!

• I like it 1

Been waiting for Thursday. Here’s my ladder for tonight. Gobble, gobble!

4873DF4C-89B5-437E-A0A4-B318DAA7C373.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Where ya been man?!!

Haha! I've been around, I just haven't posted in a long while. It makes me feel good that someone noticed lol.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, Kane said:

Ordered a Larceny at the bar for a change. It was undoubtedly the best bourbon I've had in my life, ever. Which is improbable, so I guess I am having the exact opposite of an "off palate" day. I'll go home and drink up all my unwanted bottles.

I've had those nights they are sublime.

REALLY enjoying this ECSB tonight... for my palate, i'd say this is closer to HMKBIB then that EWSIB that i've been sipping this week. love the Henry McKenna BIB 10yr, and liking that Evan Williams SiB too, but for the same price as the EW, definitely liking this more.

IMG_20180301_192835.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, Surtur said:

Found this at a liquor store a while back and I’m finally cracking it tonight. I can’t remember what year they used this label but I won’t pass up old age stated anything for only $15

image.jpg

I have a couple of those, mine list Booker Noe as the current Master Distiller on the side so I assume they are from prior to his passing in 2004.

Had a pour of DN which I usually love but found kind of blah tonight, following that up with a pour of a Woodford Double Oak "Single Barrel" from Bayway that is really hitting the spot.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I have a couple of those, mine list Booker Noe as the current Master Distiller on the side so I assume they are from prior to his passing in 2004.

That’s a reasonable assessment. The juice is good, nothing extraordinary but it’s solid.

• I like it 1

ER 10 SiB Third Base Market and Spirits select is hitting the spot after a stressful day. 

REALLY enjoying this ECSB tonight... for my palate, i'd say this is closer to HMKBIB then that EWSIB that i've been sipping this week. love the Henry McKenna BIB 10yr, and liking that Evan Williams SiB too, but for the same price as the EW, definitely liking this more.

IMG_20180301_192835.thumb.jpg.dd24335de13f3419e7d59f2c6988c567.jpg

All three are from the same mashbill, but slightly different ages; bottled at different proofs and probably aged in different rickhouse locations. The EC12 was a great bourbon for my tastes. Some of the current EC NAS private store barrel picks are pretty good, but generally still not as good as the old EC12. Fortunately, I have a lot of EC12 stored away in my liquor closet. The Henry McKenna SB and EWSB can vary since they are always single barrels, but if you find a “honey barrel” as Harry likes to call them, they can go from being just pretty good to wonderful.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.