What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Surtur said:

Isn’t that standard for Kentucky Owl?

I think it is the standard. I just couldn't swing it yesterday. 

• I like it 1

I passed up 2 cases of Knob Creek small batch age stated 9 year.  KCSmB is one that I enjoy.  I can see the bottles have laser printed codes, not sure if I should get 1, or 6.  Price is reasonable, would like to know if these were just before the end of age stated, or well before the end.  Any thoughts on how to read the laser code? 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, tarheel said:

NC is more or less a bourbon wasteland. You can get lucky in November with all of the lotteries, but during the year it's just not worth a trip. At least there's no price gouging. 

Thats some truth. I quit even stopping in NC stores until fall...unless a store manager calls with something random.   NC is the worst state for bourbon acquisitions... 

Perhaps...still more expansive than WT101 though...price on the 1792 drops to 17.99 if buy 6 more more i think 

Passed on a Whistlepig 10 yr SiB for $80. Anybody know if they offer a standard SiB or are all the SiB's private selects?

1 hour ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Perhaps...still more expansive than WT101 though...price on the 1792 drops to 17.99 if buy 6 more more i think 

Unless you just don't like 1792 I would head back to the store and pick up a few at that price.

This past weekend I passed on a RRSmbSB store selection with the old label, it was around 45.00, a dollar LESS than the RB116 sitting next to it, I have never seen that. Either this is just not an outstanding barrel OR maybe its just not popular in Dawsonville and they are blowing it out. It didnt say it was sale pricing in fact the shelf tag was quite clear. I passed as I am sufficiently stocked with RR. I know of another store with the old label RR store pick and it is a very nice barrel, its also closer to the standard (for GA) 60.00. How these RR's sit around when other PS bottlings fly off shelves is a mystery to me.

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Passed on a Whistlepig 10 yr SiB for $80. Anybody know if they offer a standard SiB or are all the SiB's private selects?

I think the SiB are store picks at barrel proof. Every one I have gotten have been very good.

• I like it 2

Houston airport duty free shop had probably 3 cases of Blanton's displayed for $59.99. They also had something called Jim Beam Kentucky Dram which is a blend of bourbon and peated Scotch.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

They also had something called Jim Beam Kentucky Dram which is a blend of bourbon and peated Scotch.

Yet another example of Beam bringing to market products that the people don't want.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Yet another example of Beam bringing to market products that the people don't want.

Yeah.   I wonder for whom JB Kentucky Dram is intended? 

This just seems so odd.    I can't imagine anybody seeking out such a strange combination.    (Then again, some Millennials will drink anything trendy... if this can be sold as 'trendy'.)

Maybe Beam/Suntory had a bunch of lousy Bourbon that just wouldn't have been marketable, even 'blended away' in JB White Label?

Overwhelming bad flavors by blending in a cheap-peat-y scotch that may have been 'off' in some way just seemed to some of their marketing folx like a solution to a couple problems? 

I guess, without being in the room when this decision was made, we'll never know how this 'Jackalope' came to be.

34 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

The JB Kentucky Dram is duty free only.

Most likely for international drinkers, not us yankees.   Maybe someone who likes scotch but wants to dip a toe into american whiskey?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, miller542 said:

Most likely for international drinkers, not us yankees.   Maybe someone who likes scotch but wants to dip a toe into american whiskey?

Have you folks tried HW Campfire? It actually works. That whole duty free biz doesn't exactly instill trust, though.

• I like it 2

On 2/13/2018 at 7:45 AM, CUfan99 said:

I bought WP10 yr store pic at K&L - barrel proof at 115.8 - and it was great!  Worth every cent...  But, like any single barrel release, they're all going to be different; so it's a gamble. 

I had one passed up for me today. Working on a military base and their liquor stores are inside the post exchange. I stumbled across Little Book from Beam and was ready to pull the trigger. 

I got to the counter and you have to have military ID to buy alcohol and tobacco on post.... saved me $80 I guess. I've seen reviews that half the cost would be about right for it.

Stopped at a few random LS only one had anything decent in stock but prices were blah. Passed on Blanton’s -$90; ETL $70; EH SiB $80 did not bother to ask about any others. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Have you folks tried HW Campfire? It actually works. 

I agree, it does work.  Very bizarre stuff, but I really enjoy it on those occasions that I go to it.  

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I bought WP10 yr store pic at K&L - barrel proof at 115.8 - and it was great!  Worth every cent...  But, like any single barrel release, they're all going to be different; so it's a gamble. 

I got a 120 proof, it was so good I bought 2 more. Among the best ryes I've ever had. These WP store picks are an easy buy/recommendation even at $80.

Edited by EarthQuake

On 2/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, Richnimrod said:

Yeah.   I wonder for whom JB Kentucky Dram is intended? 

This just seems so odd.    I can't imagine anybody seeking out such a strange combination.    (Then again, some Millennials will drink anything trendy... if this can be sold as 'trendy'.)

Maybe Beam/Suntory had a bunch of lousy Bourbon that just wouldn't have been marketable, even 'blended away' in JB White Label?

Overwhelming bad flavors by blending in a cheap-peat-y scotch that may have been 'off' in some way just seemed to some of their marketing folx like a solution to a couple problems? 

I guess, without being in the room when this decision was made, we'll never know how this 'Jackalope' came to be.

It's for me, I would buy it if I was in an airport, like some of the others I like High West Campfire and the limited reviews I've read on this have been good and I'm a tail end Gen X'er. 

Passed up WSR for $29 yesterday. I remember liking it but I don't think it stands out enough for me to purchase again. Maybe I'm just not a wheater fan?

2 hours ago, emr454 said:

Passed up WSR for $29 yesterday. I remember liking it but I don't think it stands out enough for me to purchase again. Maybe I'm just not a wheater fan?

I feel like that’s about $10 more than it should be.  There are certainly many other $30 bourbons better for my money.  I also don’t feel like it’s close to being in the same class as W12, OWA, MM46, or even Larceny.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.