What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed a WT101 Rye for 28.99. First time I’ve seen it so not sure on what the price should be or how it compares to pikesville (which is my rye benchmark).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed a WT101 Rye for 28.99. First time I’ve seen it so not sure on what the price should be or how it compares to pikesville (which is my rye benchmark).

Here it is usually $35-$40 for a liter, I would say if it was a 750 it would compare more favorably to Pikesville than if it was the current 1 Liter bottle as the old stuff seemed to have more age on it.  Pikesville is a pretty high benchmark, but I think stepping up from 101 rye to RR SB Rye is more on par with Pikesville, I might like it a tad more than Pikesville actually. 

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it’s worth a shot. Challenge was I only had room for one in my luggage and had another bottle already.

Passed on a bottle of ORVW for $269. They also had some old, age-stated 8yr JBB, so it wasn't a totally wasted stop.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Here it is usually $35-$40 for a liter, I would say if it was a 750 it would compare more favorably to Pikesville than if it was the current 1 Liter bottle as the old stuff seemed to have more age on it.  Pikesville is a pretty high benchmark, but I think stepping up from 101 rye to RR SB Rye is more on par with Pikesville, I might like it a tad more than Pikesville actually. 

If it is a 750, unless something has changed, it is likely the older version and worth a pick up. It would also have an older style label.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

I buy the liter bottles for $30 regularly. It is my staple rye for making cocktails. I prefer it over Rittenhouse personally. It’s a spicier rye than Pikesville. As Kevinbrink said, the apples to apples comparison would be more appropriate with the RR single barrel rye. Again, I’m in the camp that prefers the turkey over the HH juice at that level as well. 

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it is a 750, unless something has changed, it is likely the older version and worth a pick up. It would also have an older style label.

That's what I was trying to say, less concisely :lol:

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Passed on this gallon of Old Crow. 

But only because it was empty. 

Heee-Heeee!  :lol:   The VERY BEST (if not definitive) reason for taking a pass... Good for you Steve!    You are really showing us the way!   HA!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

I’ve heard it’s really good but not $500 good...

44A73F70-0F4D-475E-9453-84CCAAC522C2.jpeg

I know a lot of these are still sitting on the shelves around my area.  Several of them have even dropped the price to the mid $400s without many takers.

Edited by NDN98

10 hours ago, JTaylor said:

I’ve heard it’s really good but not $500 good...

44A73F70-0F4D-475E-9453-84CCAAC522C2.jpeg

I was around in Maryland this weekend and one store that had high prices on pretty much everything.  The regular price they had on this was $477 and they had it on sale for $427.  They still had a bunch of them (looked like Dave Pickerall may have signed them as well).

VA ABC also recently got these and it doesn't seem like they're moving.  It seems like they got a massive amount as pretty much everything is lottery in VA and within my store radius of 9.6 miles there are 33 bottles at 6 stores (looks like they've sold 3 bottles in 2 weeks).

Lots of passes this weekend (no pictures, so here's what I can remember):
Saz 18 - $800

Whistle Pig Boss Hog - $427

Thomas H Handy - $300

Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch - $250

Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof - $170

Blanton's (store pick) - $90

Rock Hill Farms - $90

Stagg Jr - $60

Passed up Michters 10 for 169.99 (no thanks) and this. This was a "lol" and a hell no

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.1182c2432b97912bfb37505753c63efa.JPG

Another store. More passes. 1792 Bottled in Bond almost came homeIMG_0795.thumb.JPG.43c30a94582f5adda407b0c975117dfc.JPG. Might come back for that one.

I passed on a 2017 Thomas Handy. I was selected in the NH Liquor Store lottery, but I decided to pass. I figured it was time to pump the brakes a little.

1 hour ago, Government Beard said:

Another store. More passes. 1792 Bottled in Bond almost came homeIMG_0795.thumb.JPG.43c30a94582f5adda407b0c975117dfc.JPG. Might come back for that one.

1792 Bottled in Bond is an excellent bourbon. It would be a worthwhile return visit. :)

• I like it 1

I passed on a 2017 Thomas Handy. I was selected in the NH Liquor Store lottery, but I decided to pass. I figured it was time to pump the brakes a little.

You passed on a really good one there. I’d never pass on a bottle of Thomas Handy at retail!

On 2/17/2018 at 1:50 AM, mosugoji64 said:

Passed on a bottle of ORVW for $269. They also had some old, age-stated 8yr JBB, so it wasn't a totally wasted stop.

That’s actually not that high compared to the $400-$600 I’ve seen it for in nearly every store. I would still pass as well.

On February 17, 2018 at 10:10 AM, BottledInBond said:

I buy the liter bottles for $30 regularly. It is my staple rye for making cocktails. I prefer it over Rittenhouse personally. It’s a spicier rye than Pikesville. As Kevinbrink said, the apples to apples comparison would be more appropriate with the RR single barrel rye. Again, I’m in the camp that prefers the turkey over the HH juice at that level as well. 

Agreed on the 101 Rye. Best value in rye right now besides HWRR at $45 but the newer batches of RR I think might have older MGP rye compared with the Barton16 that was claimed years ago.

21 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You passed on a really good one there. I’d never pass on a bottle of Thomas Handy at retail!

I am aware. I just decided I didn't need it. One of my friends has already disowned me.

• I like it 2

On 2/19/2018 at 12:06 PM, Government Beard said:

And kudos for the HST avatar. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.