Empty bottle support group - 2018

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Eagle Rare gave its last earlier. Need to give my contact a call since it’s 25% cheaper there than here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emptied my second to last bottle of BA Old Fashioneds. The results were just ok. Will make some changes for batch two. Maybe use a base entirely of VOB Bib. 

E66319FA-04DB-400F-8049-ADE30F285BCF.jpeg

Was a huge disappointment for the first 3/4 of the bottle, pretty tasty after that. I feel like I keep wasting my 4R bottles like this all the time. I am leaving my open OESQ and OESFs alone for a year to oxidize. Let's see if I can finally fully appreciate some 4R.

IMG_20180313_223709.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Was a huge disappointment for the first 3/4 of the bottle, pretty tasty after that. I feel like I keep wasting my 4R bottles like this all the time. I am leaving my open OESQ and OESFs alone for a year to oxidize. Let's see if I can finally fully appreciate some 4R.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Most 4R seems to need a decent amount of air for me.  Some bottles are downright horrible at first opening.

I've not really been able to figure out or explain this phenomenon and why it's so exaggerated with 4R, but for me, it is.

I love the stuff, but it can be frustrating at times.

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

I couldn't agree with you more.  Most 4R seems to need a decent amount of air for me.  Some bottles are downright horrible at first opening.

I've not really been able to figure out or explain this phenomenon and why it's so exaggerated with 4R, but for me, it is.

I love the stuff, but it can be frustrating at times.

I'm one of the card carrying 4R cult members here and this happens to me a lot too. It usually only takes 2-3 pours and a couple weeks for them to start tasting good to me at which point they generally become 'awesome'. That's how my palate works at least.

• I like it 2

I can’t say I’m sad to see this one go. I should have included this on the thread about biggest disappointment of 2017. I had read that many people prefer the OBSK over the other 9 recipes. I assume this was just a bland barrell.  No joke, I feel the stock OBSV 100 Proof has more depth than this one, which is 103.2 proof. 

6457F9DF-6C96-42C2-AD67-D3290265FD11.jpeg

Man down.  A delicious 10 year 55.3% OBSV from Binny's (purchased in the summer of 2015).  I love 4RPS's and especially in the 10 year range.  

IMG_4692.JPG

I cheated a little. The last of this bottle went into my mini barrel decanter. Its not the glass decanter behind it. That's GW4G.  HMCK10 is a decent value, solid bourbon. I'd still put it under age-stated EC12.

20180319_200047-1209x1612.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, flahute said:

I'm one of the card carrying 4R cult members here and this happens to me a lot too. It usually only takes 2-3 pours and a couple weeks for them to start tasting good to me at which point they generally become 'awesome'. That's how my palate works at least.

Similar for RRsib.  They always seem to be tight for lack of a better description until they get past the shoulders. 

This is one bottle that seemed to get better the deeper I delved into it. I’ll crack another soon enough.

4B61C678-F736-4DC6-8F99-965B923EB13D.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, spectre said:

This is one bottle that seemed to get better the deeper I delved into it. I’ll crack another soon enough.

This is one I really want to try. So much whiskey, so little money.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, spectre said:

I completely agree. I’m a rye newb so after my initial taste which I thought was good and complex, I really appreciated it the second time around. Maybe that was it opening up a tad too and trying other ryes. 

John J. Bowman. In these parts I’m almost as likely to find GTS or WLW as I am to find a replacement anytime soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finished a WLW, but as luck would have it I have another ready an oxidized.  

E209AA9A-5BA8-485A-BA4D-9D17251BDB0A.thumb.jpeg.259e98ccd5cf8aab3809d4c8f5d869bc.jpeg

• I like it 3

Another bottle down of my daily sipper...bf1e5ea6feae16769a856ca3a67e8c2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EC store pick. 8 years. Started out “tight”. Opened up beautifully 1/3 in. So much so that Lady Loblaw asked for her own glass one night, a rarity. Few nights later she tried it again not knowing it was the same juice and did not enjoy at all.

my experience was all over the place as well. Overall a solid bottle (my first EC store pick) and I will grab another if still in stock. 

8ADEAA66-FB72-4672-9EEF-ABBAC6E107CA.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

EC store pick. 8 years. Started out “tight”. Opened up beautifully 1/3 in. So much so that Lady Loblaw asked for her own glass one night, a rarity. Few nights later she tried it again not knowing it was the same juice and did not enjoy at all.

my experience was all over the place as well. Overall a solid bottle (my first EC store pick) and I will grab another if still in stock. 

8ADEAA66-FB72-4672-9EEF-ABBAC6E107CA.jpeg

I’ll admit to working on a bit of artistic flair and presentation myself when posting pics of bottles here on SB.  You sir, however, have my admiration for not really giving a crap, by throwing it up there by a roll of toilet paper.  A man’s man.  

Salute!  ;)

• I like it 10

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ll admit to working on a bit of artistic flair and presentation myself when posting pics of bottles here on SB.  You sir, however, have my admiration for not really giving a crap, by throwing it up there by a roll of toilet paper.  A man’s man.  

Salute!  ;)

Haha, too funny! Didn’t even see It! All I’ve got by way of explanation is two kids under 3 coming off winter colds. There are probably as many toilet paper rolls in random around the house as Harry has OGD. So you know its a lot!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

There are probably as many toilet paper rolls in random around the house as Harry has OGD. So you know its a lot!

Two items that you can’t have enough of in a well stocked bunker. ;)

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Salute!  ;)

Excellent delivery. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.