What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I see more store pick Full Proof choices than any other 1792 variants in my area, and they are all usually very good...some are even fantastic.

I dont think I've seen a Full Proof that WASN'T a store pick come to think of it. I've only had one bottle of it and wasn't crazy about it. Seemed to be all heat. Drank above its proof. 

Had a hankerin' for something different and untried when I stopped for a quick cruise down the bourbon isle - almost went for a Michter's but saw this markdown on a 10yr and thought "What the hey, $30 is worth givin' it a whirl".  So far, do good...

20180512_193157.jpg

Picked up a case of WT 101.   Ended up being $12 a bottle out the door.

Best price I've ever seen

20180512_182644.jpg

20180512_182949.jpg

• I like it 6

23 hours ago, Canarse said:

Very cool.  I've never seen a store pick Full Proof.  We see the store pick Single Barrels around here.  That are quite good in my experience.  Hope that one is too. 

In my area, they usually get PS 1792 bottled multiple ways.  Same barrel will give SiB and FP.  Heck, I've even got a SmB PS on the shelf.  Tell me that makes sense...

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

I dont think I've seen a Full Proof that WASN'T a store pick come to think of it. I've only had one bottle of it and wasn't crazy about it. Seemed to be all heat. Drank above its proof. 

When it was first released it was a national release.

I drank one and it was just ok.

The store picks seem much better.

7 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

In my area, they usually get PS 1792 bottled multiple ways.  Same barrel will give SiB and FP.  Heck, I've even got a SmB PS on the shelf.  Tell me that makes sense...

I've seen the SmB PS too--really good value. I think it has to do with which warehouse the barrel came from. The Single Barrel label is only for barrels from particular places, like how Blanton's has to come from a specific warehouse.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

I've seen the SmB PS too--really good value. I think it has to do with which warehouse the barrel came from. The Single Barrel label is only for barrels from particular places, like how Blanton's has to come from a specific warehouse.

Could be.  I just find it odd that they'd bottle a PS (a single barrel) in a Small Batch bottle, when they could put it in a Single Barrel bottle and sell it for $5 more.  Or sell it at the SmB price as a great value SiB.  Seems contrary to the nature of the whiskey business...

Regardless which bottle they put it in, it is a good bourbon.  

30 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Could be.  I just find it odd that they'd bottle a PS (a single barrel) in a Small Batch bottle, when they could put it in a Single Barrel bottle and sell it for $5 more.  Or sell it at the SmB price as a great value SiB.  Seems contrary to the nature of the whiskey business...

The proofs are different.  

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The proofs are different.  

I get that.  It's just added water...

Let me put it a different way.  Say you are going through the trouble and expense of picking a barrel.  Organizing the whole thing, then dropping thousands of dollars into a bunch of bottles to sell, mix drinks for your bar, or drink/gift to your friends.  Why would you take that single, primo, best offered barrel and put it in bottles that, at first glance, appear to be small batch blend- the entry level bottle offered by the distillery.  Being one barrel, it's not even accurately labeled as a SmB (I guess one barrel is technically the smallest batch).  It qualifies and is more accurately labeled as a SiB, generally considered to be a better quality bourbon.  On top of that, you would have the option to bottle it at Full Proof, it's as easy as not adding (as much) water.  The distillery probably could care less, as long as it meets the description on the label of the bottle.  

So, why pick the primo barrel- a bourbon you have gone to great lengths to ensure it's the best possible- water it down, and put it the least impressive bottle the distillery offers?  Why not at least show it off for what it is- a SiB- or even put some in FP bottles for those that appreciate a whiskey with more character?  

Sorry, scratching my head.  Someone please enlighten me...

8 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I get that.  It's just added water...

Let me put it a different way.  Say you are going through the trouble and expense of picking a barrel.  Organizing the whole thing, then dropping thousands of dollars into a bunch of bottles to sell, mix drinks for your bar, or drink/gift to your friends.  Why would you take that single, primo, best offered barrel and put it in bottles that, at first glance, appear to be small batch blend- the entry level bottle offered by the distillery.  Being one barrel, it's not even accurately labeled as a SmB (I guess one barrel is technically the smallest batch).  It qualifies and is more accurately labeled as a SiB, generally considered to be a better quality bourbon.  On top of that, you would have the option to bottle it at Full Proof, it's as easy as not adding (as much) water.  The distillery probably could care less, as long as it meets the description on the label of the bottle.  

So, why pick the primo barrel- a bourbon you have gone to great lengths to ensure it's the best possible- water it down, and put it the least impressive bottle the distillery offers?  Why not at least show it off for what it is- a SiB- or even put some in FP bottles for those that appreciate a whiskey with more character?  

Sorry, scratching my head.  Someone please enlighten me...

If it's a retailer who's picking and selling the bottles, he will necessarily get far fewer bottles to sell if the proof is 125, than if the proof is 'low-nineties'.   More bottles equals more per-bottle-mark-ups; therefor more profit.

If the barrel is picked by a Bourbon aficionado group, the lower number of bottles only means fewer to go around.      But often each of those bottles will be more appreciated.    Not a hard and fast rule, of course.    Some large groups may want more bottles to satisfy the demand across the membership.

1792 isn't the only brand doing that. Every store pick of Elijah Craig that I've seen in this area has 'Small Batch' on the bottle, and a sticker stating that it is a private selection.

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, Arkady said:

1792 isn't the only brand doing that. Every store pick of Elijah Craig that I've seen in this area has 'Small Batch' on the bottle, and a sticker stating that it is a private selection.

Good point.  EC doesnt offer all of the same bottling options though.  No SiB bottle possible.  

50 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

If it's a retailer who's picking and selling the bottles, he will necessarily get far fewer bottles to sell if the proof is 125, than if the proof is 'low-nineties'.   More bottles equals more per-bottle-mark-ups; therefor more profit.

If the barrel is picked by a Bourbon aficionado group, the lower number of bottles only means fewer to go around.      But often each of those bottles will be more appreciated.    Not a hard and fast rule, of course.    Some large groups may want more bottles to satisfy the demand across the membership.

I thought of the "more bottles to sell", but figured the difference in price would make up for at least some of the difference.  SiB is 98.6 proof so not that many fewer.  Probably still a shortfall with fewer bottles, though.  Good points though.  I guess I should just accept that things don't always make sense in bourbon...

Sorry for the derail,  it's just always bugged me.  Maybe I'll be able to post back On Topic tomorrow after I shop on delivery day.  Hoping to report a CEHT 4G...

16 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

That’s probably why they choose a sticker design that has huge letters that state “Single Barrel Select”. 

4 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I guess I should just accept that things don't always make sense in bourbon...

This is correct, small batch, Full Proof, and even single barrel don't really necessarily mean anything. And even at that American Whiskey regulation is still better than most other Countries/Spirits.

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

That’s probably why they choose a sticker design that has huge letters that state “Single Barrel Select”. 

Yet some of the bottles with that very same label are "Micro Batches" so even that means nothing.

On 5/12/2018 at 1:59 PM, Whiskey Junkie said:

First bottle in a few months or so, but Mother's Day coupon got me this for $41 otd.

image.jpg

How is it? Does the port really sweeten it up?

1 hour ago, Achair34 said:

First time seeing this one on the shelf so decided to grab it. 

A0721E62-EFFA-4AA9-8521-955012A203AD.jpeg

Great pick, it’s good stuff. A little pricey but the quality is there. Enjoy. 

Will. 

37 minutes ago, mrpipster said:

How is it? Does the port really sweeten it up?

I found it too sweet to drink and promptly sacrificed it to my wife.

Edited by Marekv8

18 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I found it too sweet to drink and promptly sacrificed it to my wife.

Really. Was it a very grape forward taste? Was it a dry finish?

Thanks.

Edited by mrpipster

2 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Great pick, it’s good stuff. A little pricey but the quality is there. Enjoy. 

Will. 

I’m looking forward to giving it a try. This bottle was $55

• I like it 1

First bottle in a few months or so, but Mother's Day coupon got me this for $41 otd.

image.jpg

I just passed on a bunch of this for $80. Reading the other posts it sounds like i chose wisely.

So would this be batch 10 (126.4 pf)??  After seeing the third bottle within 20 minutes and three stops, I figured it was karma and really shouldn't pass it up.  

20180514_204733.jpg

• I like it 4

image.jpg

I am usually not a fan of finished bourbons, but this one is quite tasty.  I will buy another bottle if I see it again.  I still prefer the Bowman single barrel, but this one is nice for a change of pace.

Edited by NDN98

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

I just passed on a bunch of this for $80. Reading the other posts it sounds like i chose wisely.

I would pass on it at $80.  It MSRPs for $39.99.  At MSRP, I like it.  At $80, that would be a pass for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.