What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/19/2018 at 6:32 AM, DCFan said:

I don't understand your "nanny  nanny  nah  nah, I got connections and you got squat" attitude when Tarheel (as I do) lives in a control state when you're in freewheeling NH where free enterprise in alcohol sales reigns. Imagine having to buy your booze from the DMV, that's about what it's like at the ABC stores.

I remember with fondness on a drive up to Lake Winnipesaukee, NH about 10 years ago and seeing an exit ramp off of I-95 going right into the parking lot of a liquor store.  And that LS was the only establishment that exit ramp fed into.  Talk about having connections with the highway department. 

DCFan, I'm sorry if my post came off with my trying to boast at Tarheel's misfortune in anyway, as that was not my intent. NH is the second control state that I have lived in now, with NC being the first and the state we left just 6 months ago. What I obviously did a poor job of communicating is I totally understand life in a control state with NC in particular. The bourbon frenzy in NC right now is better or worse depending on which boards you frequent. One board will have people lining up on delivery day as Tarheel noted, while another board could have something, like OWA sit on the shelf for a week or more without being cleared. 

I was more trying to highlight how important it is to work your connections in a control state almost more than a non-control state. When we lived in NC, there was a stark different between two boards that had stores less than 10 miles away. One board would get ECBP by the cases and would let me get as many as I wanted. The other board would be lucky to get a single case and make me think I was lucky as could be to have a bottle held for me. But that was the thing, I had built up those relationships to where those managers held bottles for me when they should have been going to bars and restaurants. I didn't have to worry about being in line on delivery day. I am still making purchases from one board to this day because they can get their hands on items in NC that I don't stand a chance of getting up here in NH. I just lost out on a NH lottery for WSR, but have purchased 6 or so bottles on OWA in NC in the past 6 months since we have been gone. 

Like most things in this world, it is who you know. Again, apologies for my post sounding more condescending that it was meant to be.

• I like it 1

On 5/19/2018 at 7:06 AM, tarheel said:

Nah, I wasn't complaining about the OWA supply in NC as much as using it as an anecdote for how crazy things are down here. I started drinking bourbon back when the shelves were full of OWA out here and I could get the whole BTAC by emailing the Wake County ABC board and asking what they had. Now it's all lottery. There is simply too much good stuff right on the shelf to get involved in the chase. Honestly, I don't have a problem with the people waiting outside the store on a random Thursday because eventually that's going to lead to more bourbon for all of us. Personally, I like a bunch of distillers just as much as BT so I'm plenty happy. 

Tarheel, I didn't take this as complaining and please accept my apologies if you felt I was trying rub you the wrong way as that was not my intent. You may not have other boards more accessible to you than the Wake County one, but if you can, try some of the smaller out of the way boards. You would be amazed at how much easier it is to obtain those items you are hoping to get. And yes, it was starting to get ridiculous before we left in the bourbon isle of ABC Stores all around the state. The politics involved in what some of the larger boards would get and how was amazing to me. Best of luck in your future searches.

• I like it 1

Here's hoping for the best. Shame that this NAS dog & pony show costs ten bucks more than Springbank 12 CS.

IMG_9302.thumb.jpg.119320d7df300073f5ad95fb78deeceb.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:12 AM, FriendlyEdgar said:

oh, it was just a common ole ordinary day...

IMAG1474.jpg

Great score!!!  I'm still on the hunt in hopes of finding one.

Here's hoping for the best. Shame that this NAS dog & pony show costs ten bucks more than Springbank 12 CS.

IMG_9302.thumb.jpg.119320d7df300073f5ad95fb78deeceb.jpg

I think you'll like that one. I've got a bottle open, and liked it enough that I'm looking for a second bottle.
  • I like it 1

Found a 10 yr Baum Bros cask strength marked down to $60 on clearance, so grabbed it as a back up (got one open). Good MGP juice, much like SAOS or Belle Meade CS, at a good price.

Grabbed a WSR for $16.47 at lunch, mostly so the manager would let me park there while I walked to the BBQ restaurant next door.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:12 AM, FriendlyEdgar said:

oh, it was just a common ole ordinary day...

IMAG1474.jpg

What a "GREAT" ordinary kind of day... Jealous, jealous, here!!!

Ooooooh yeah.... One of these SFTB is for a new friend of mineIMG_8387.JPG

• I like it 3

Really have enjoyed my Barrell (batch #012), looking forward to this Infinity Barrel Project. Was hoping to get my hands on the first bottling, but this will have to do.

Have any of you guys tried this out yet? I am curious of first impressions.

IMG_2435.JPG

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, jodytek said:

Really have enjoyed my Barrell (batch #012), looking forward to this Infinity Barrel Project. Was hoping to get my hands on the first bottling, but this will have to do.

Have any of you guys tried this out yet? I am curious of first impressions.

IMG_2435.JPG

Huge peppermint candy notes, presumably...

• I like it 2

On 5/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, elmossle said:

Tarheel, I didn't take this as complaining and please accept my apologies if you felt I was trying rub you the wrong way as that was not my intent. You may not have other boards more accessible to you than the Wake County one, but if you can, try some of the smaller out of the way boards. You would be amazed at how much easier it is to obtain those items you are hoping to get. And yes, it was starting to get ridiculous before we left in the bourbon isle of ABC Stores all around the state. The politics involved in what some of the larger boards would get and how was amazing to me. Best of luck in your future searches.

No worries. Those willing to build relationships should benefit from them. Me, I'll just walk over to the shelf and grab some KCSB, MMCS, ECBP, FRSB, and RRSB. Cheers.

• I like it 1

Out of town on a job interview and took the opportunity to hit a local retailer.  Ended up with these:

20180521_190730.jpg
20180521_190648.jpg
20180521_190548.jpg

Edited by bourbon-n00b
  • I like it 2

Out of town on a job interview and took the opportunity to hit a local retailer.  Ended up with these:

20180521_190730.jpg
20180521_190648.jpg
20180521_190548.jpg

That’s one of my favorite locals! Those two are great store picks. They also have several great BT selections, and may still have a few bottles of their fantastic 1792 FP PS available.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s one of my favorite locals! Those two are great store picks. They also have several great BT selections, and may still have a few bottles of their fantastic 1792 FP PS available.

Excellent!  Have you had a chance to try the Chattanooga 1816?  Looks like it might be a little young (side label says it's "at least two years old")  but proof and price won me over.

Excellent!  Have you had a chance to try the Chattanooga 1816?  Looks like it might be a little young (side label says it's "at least two years old")  but proof and price won me over.

I do have a bottle that I purchased elsewhere to maintain goodwill with the store manager, but I have yet to open it.

16 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Ooooooh yeah.... One of these SFTB is for a new friend of mineIMG_8387.JPG

I hope for your sake that the friend is female or you have a split personality; win-win!!!

• I like it 1

Picked up an Elmer T. Lee, Henry McKenna and a liter of Weller 12 for right at $100 after tax.  One of my better bourbon shopping days.  

• I like it 4

19 minutes ago, vismatt said:

Picked up an Elmer T. Lee, Henry McKenna and a liter of Weller 12 for right at $100 after tax.  One of my better bourbon shopping days.  

That is a sweet haul.

With Henry McKenna being named the top bourbon of 2018 by those people in San Francisco, it is flying of the shelves here. The MSRP has also increased by a couple of bucks. I was able to score 2 bottles for 62 bucks, which I believe is going to turn out to be a steal.

• I like it 2

Just now, graftonbc1 said:

With Henry McKenna being named the top bourbon of 2018 by those people in San Francisco, it is flying of the shelves here. The MSRP has also increased by a couple of bucks. I was able to score 2 bottles for 62 bucks, which I believe is going to turn out to be a steal.

And I know where (heh, heh).  Good on ya', my friend!

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

And I know where (heh, heh).  Good on ya', my friend!

I cant keep any secrets from you.

1 hour ago, vismatt said:

Was this 5 years ago? :)  nice haul

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Achair34 said:

Was this 5 years ago? :)  nice haul

I couldn't believe the prices either and was shocked when they told me my total at the register.  Got lucky and hit the store on the day the ETL hit the shelves.  I hadn't seen it in a couple of years.  Would have bought another bottle, but they limited us to 1.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.