What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4x Stagg Jr and a Store Pick Elijah Craig8f6a0b4ddf6b23c048e29e947aa6209c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

How much are those normally for you? OF1920 is typically around $52-$55 and Baker's is $38-$42 so those prices don't seem like deep discounts.  CEHT Small Batch is $35 I think when it shows up at TW.

OF1920 is $60+ everwhere around KC, up to $65.  I've seen it once on sale for $55.99, and bought it.

Bakers is usually upper $40's.  I bought one gladly on sale in the lower $40s a few weeks back.

Best I've seen on CETH is $38.99 on sale, usually $43ish.  I spent $45.99 today.

Funny how pricing on non-allocated stuff is high here, but I can generally  get allocated stuff at retail when it shows up.  Some of that is "who you know", but definitely not all...

• I like it 2

Got this today. I'm now, probably, done buying for awhile. Been spendin a lot of late on brown water.

Will do a SBSBS on these RRSBs in a few weeks.

KsmNwWo.jpg

Lroi7hq.jpg

• I like it 4

On 3/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, Charlutz said:

ECBP C917 for $58. Owner told me his distributor is just letting these out. It’s a racket. 

I just caught one of that C917 batch too. Amazed that batch is still around.

Got lucky a found one place anywhere near Denver that had an ECBP, turned out to be C917, so September 2017.

Also found McKenna 10yr and some Mellow Corn and picked up an A. D. Laws Store Select Barrel Four Grain bourbon, local Colorado company.

Super Happy. Now if a dusty ole EC12 could fall in to my lap Id be ecstatic

20180406_172332.jpg

Edited by Dannabis
  • I like it 2

23 minutes ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Got this today. I'm now, probably, done buying for awhile. Been spendin a lot of late on brown water.

Will do a SBSBS on these RRSBs in a few weeks.

KsmNwWo.jpg

Lroi7hq.jpg

Let me know how that one is. Which Total is that from?

• I like it 1

On 3/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, CUfan99 said:

I'm really not happy with myself right now. 

IMG_4738.JPG

Let me know how that 10yr SB Rebel Yell is. Havent seen any but ive been reading and thinking about it

38 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Let me know how that one is. Which Total is that from?

Will do. It's in the Charleston store. Wonder if the Columbia store has the same barrel? Looks like they have it too

Edited by Cigars&Bourbon
  • I like it 1

Being in the motherland is always dangerous. It was a jam packed couple of days of picking barrels with a couple liquor store visits squeezed in.

(4) VOB BIB

(2) HH BIB 6yr

(2) WFE 4yr Rye (Willett distilled)

(2) Evan Williams Master’s Blend

(1) Early Times BIB,

(1) 4RSiB (because it was only $32)

(1) Peerless Rye SiB

Oooooffff.....

• I like it 4

Being in the motherland is always dangerous. It was a jam packed couple of days of picking barrels with a couple liquor store visits squeezed in.

(4) VOB BIB
(2) HH BIB 6yr
(1) Early Times BIB,
(1) Peerless Rye SiB

Oooooffff.....

I thought you weren’t going to succumb to the high price point on the Peerless Rye!

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I thought you weren’t going to succumb to the high price point on the Peerless Rye!

Just like with Bruce, famous last words......

Our group got a VIP tour that included some single barrel tastings with their distiller.  We nerded out big time and asked him a lot of detailed questions that he had great answers for. I really respect his skill and I really like what they are doing. So, I decided to buy a “show my support” bottle. I otherwise plan to wait for them to get more age on their product because I think it will be that much better and supposedly the price will remain the same (and they will phase out the younger product as it continues to get older).

• I like it 2

Just like with Bruce, famous last words......
Our group got a VIP tour that included some single barrel tastings with their distiller.  We nerded out big time and asked him a lot of detailed questions that he had great answers for. I really respect his skill and I really like what they are doing. So, I decided to buy a “show my support” bottle. I otherwise plan to wait for them to get more age on their product because I think it will be that much better and supposedly the price will remain the same (and they will phase out the younger product as it continues to get older).

I think I’ll hold out for older juice! A distributor rep I was talking to at one of my favorite liquor stores the other day was all excited about getting it soon in our market, but I told him I won’t be buying. I think they took the price gouging a bit too far, but good for them if they can get folks to buy 2yr old Rye for over $100 a bottle.

I understand your predicament with a distillery visit and spending time with the distiller. I’m thinking about visiting Glenn’s Creek Distillery that’s now in the old Old Crow facilities, and if I do, I’m sure I’ll buy some of their overpriced craft spirits to also show some support...

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I think I’ll hold out for older juice! A distributor rep I was talking to at one of my favorite liquor stores the other day was all excited about getting it soon in our market, but I told him I won’t be buying. I think they took the price gouging a bit too far, but good for them if they can get folks to buy 2yr old Rye for over $100 a bottle.

I understand your predicament with a distillery visit and spending time with the distiller. I’m thinking about visiting Glenn’s Creek Distillery that’s now in the old Old Crow facilities, and if I do, I’m sure I’ll buy some of their overpriced craft spirits to also show some support...

Yeah.......

Only do it if there’s legitimate potential. 

I wouldn’t have bought the Peerless if it wasn’t legitimately good. (And what I mean by that is that it isn’t just “good for only being 2 years old” good. It actually tastes older than that).

And, I do see a lot of potential for them to be exceptional. 

I wouldn’t have bought it if tasted grainy and too young. 

• I like it 1

Yeah.......

I wouldn’t have bought the Peerless if it wasn’t legitimately good. (And what I mean by that is that it isn’t just “good for only being 2 years old” good. It actually tastes older than that).

Do they use smaller barrels or other methods to help with the lack of age?

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Yeah.......

Did he say what they come off still at and what their barrel entry proof is?

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m thinking about visiting Glenn’s Creek Distillery that’s now in the old Old Crow facilities, and if I do, I’m sure I’ll buy some of their overpriced craft spirits to also show some support...

I was there yesterday with a couple other SB'ers and after tasting their whiskies, I couldn't pull the trigger. Their best product, relatively speaking, is sourced from MGP. I'm sorry, but for me the spirit has to be decent, especially at the prices they're asking, to get my hard earned $$.

On the other hand, we were able to wander the grounds of the old distillery, which was fascinating. Almost, but not quite enough, to make me go back and buy an overpriced bottle.

I was there yesterday with a couple other SB'ers and after tasting their whiskies, I couldn't pull the trigger. Their best product, relatively speaking, is sourced from MGP. I'm sorry, but for me the spirit has to be decent, especially at the prices they're asking, to get my hard earned $$.

On the other hand, we were able to wander the grounds of the old distillery, which was fascinating. Almost, but not quite enough, to make me go back and buy an overpriced bottle.

Did they charge you $8 for the tour? My understanding is that you get that back if you buy something. I looked at their prices on their website, and they certainly weren’t cheap, but I have seen worse.

Is it worth a visit? I’ll be finished with a tour at C&K around Noon on 4/26 anyway, so I’ll be just up the road. I’m also registered for the EH Taylor tour at BT at 2:30pm that day. So, I’m trying to decide whether I squeeze in a visit in between at Glenn’s Creek, Woodford or go on to BT and do the regular tour at 1:00pm since the BT Hard Hat tour at 1:30pm is full. I visited C&K last year with the SB group, but haven’t visited the other distilleries in the Frankfort area.

8 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Did they charge you $8 for the tour? My understanding is that you get that back if you buy something. I looked at their prices on their website, and they certainly weren’t cheap, but I have seen worse.

Is it worth a visit? I’ll be finished with a tour at C&K around Noon on 4/26 anyway, so I’ll be just up the road. I’m also registered for the EH Taylor tour at BT at 2:30pm that day. So, I’m trying to decide whether I squeeze in a visit in between at Glenn’s Creek, Woodford or go on to BT and do the regular tour at 1:00pm since the BT Hard Hat tour at 1:30pm is full. I visited C&K last year with the SB group, but haven’t visited the other distilleries in the Frankfort area.

N/C. Just invited us to sit down, listen to his story, taste some product (a few of them in Ball canning jars) and see what's cooking. There's not a lot to look at as it's a small set-up and all in one building. Checking out the Old Crow distillery was fun, yet sad since Mother Nature has had it's way with it. I would've loved to have seen the place in its prime but now it looks more like a filmmakers dream location for a horror movie or a gritty scene for a mob hit

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Do they use smaller barrels or other methods to help with the lack of age?

Full size barrels.

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Did he say what they come off still at and what their barrel entry proof is?

They come off the still very low. Barrel entry proof is also down at 105 or so. They use a sweet mash instead of a sour mash. Barrels are toasted first, and then given a #3 char.

All these things contribute to better flavor at a younger age.

• I like it 1

They come off the still very low. Barrel entry proof is also down at 105 or so. They use a sweet mash instead of a sour mash. Barrels are toasted first, and then given a #3 char.
All these things contribute to better flavor at a younger age.

Interesting Micheal Veach wrote about it on his site bourbonveach.com , do a search for Peerless. He mentioned at the time, “smaller cooperage”. Wonder if they have since changed to standard barrels or he misunderstood.
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, flahute said:

(4) VOB BIB

(2) HH BIB 6yr

(1) Early Times BIB,

(1) Peerless Rye SiB

Oooooffff.....

When and where Steve???!!! Vosgar, Galvin 0791 and I were in the motherland too. BT on Friday. :o We also stopped at a few places on the way home. ^_^

Biba! Joe

1-Blanton's

2-HH6 BIB

1-Binnys ps Eagle Rare

1-Flat Boat-a Barton/1792 bourbon bottled for Liquor Barn

2-Early Times BIB

1-4RSiB, like Steve, because of the price. On sale for $29.99

apr.jpeg

• I like it 1

Interesting Micheal Veach wrote about it on his site bourbonveach.com , do a search for Peerless. He mentioned at the time, “smaller cooperage”. Wonder if they have since changed to standard barrels or he misunderstood.

I believe the reference to a "smaller cooperage" has to do with the size of the company (cooperage) making the barrels and not the actual size of the barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the reference to a "smaller cooperage" has to do with the size of the company (cooperage) making the barrels and not the actual size of the barrels.

Or I misunderstood what he meant by smaller cooperage.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Or I misunderstood what he meant by smaller cooperage.

I think Jeff is onto the meaning.

They use Kelvin Cooperage, a much smaller company than ISC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.