What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Is the ORVW laser coded from 2017?  If so, I agree with you.

6 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

is the Old Fitz really that dark or is it just the lighting? Looks Great. Very Jealous!

It's the lighting though it is legitimately darker than the ORVW, the angle made the difference much more pronounced. 

With it being a rainy Sunday around here, I hit the higher proofs today. Started with a store pick RRSB and quickly followed that up with a big pour of Stagg Jr. After those two got me going, I finished the day off with a small pour of ECBP A118. Needless to say, Monday is going to hurt for multiple reasons!

7 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I always find myself worrying about Monday on Sunday.  But, a two day at work week followed by a three day of a lot of work week will be a welcome change of pace.

Yes, it's a welcome change, enjoy.  I'm the same way, and I suspect a lot of people are.  The Sunday Stress creeps in and essentially makes the day a wasted day, another addition to the work week even if not at work.

12 hours ago, JTaylor said:

My cousin came up from Kentucky for our family reunion and along with the AAA and SAOS 11yo SiB that he muled up for me he brought his PVW15 that he recently acquired from LB. Along with my son and sil this was our line-up Friday evening. Did all wheaters first then we polished off the rest of my GTS. I was in rough shape Saturday morning!

514DFCF9-2F0A-4486-B531-C22CB2F09AED.png

The PVW15 and WLW were the top of the wheater heap and were pretty close. But the GTS stole the show! 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, JTaylor said:

My cousin came up from Kentucky for our family reunion and along with the AAA and SAOS 11yo SiB that he muled up for me he brought his PVW15 that he recently acquired from LB. Along with my son and sil this was our line-up Friday evening. Did all wheaters first then we polished off the rest of my GTS. I was in rough shape Saturday morning!

514DFCF9-2F0A-4486-B531-C22CB2F09AED.png

The PVW15 and WLW were the top of the wheater heap and were pretty close. But the GTS stole the show! 

• I like it 1

Tough swim meet in St. Petersburg, FL last week - hot and humid.  But a couple of bottles of Murray Hill Club and ECBP Batch B518 (both available locally) did their best to ease the discomfort at the outdoor pool.  Both were absolutely super.  Life is so unfair, no (heh, heh)????   

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Tough swim meet in St. Petersburg, FL last week - hot and humid.  But a couple of bottles of Murray Hill Club and ECBP Batch B518 (both available locally) did their best to ease the discomfort at the outdoor pool.  Both were absolutely super.  Life is so unfair, no (heh, heh)????   

We should all share such suffering, Gee!   :lol:    They say suffering builds character, no?   ...:mellow:

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

We should all share such suffering, Gee!   :lol:    They say suffering builds character, no?   ...:mellow:

"That which does not kill us only makes us stronger!"  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.   ????

• I like it 1

While, and after posting about the Double Eagle Rare, I'm having some ER^_^

Biba! Joe

Enjoying a large pour of a 14yo KCSiB PS in an old fashioned this evening. I've tried this neat, but it's pushing the envelope for age with KC because this bottle is a little too heavy on the oak...and I usually like a good bit of oak. I think this bottle will likely be destined for continued use as a mixer for old fashioneds and other cocktails or maybe blended with something else.

• I like it 1

Enjoying a large pour of a 14yo KCSiB PS in an old fashioned this evening. I've tried this neat, but it's pushing the envelope for age with KC because this bottle is a little too heavy on the oak...and I usually like a good bit of oak. I think this bottle will likely be destined for continued use as a mixer for old fashioneds and other cocktails or maybe blended with something else.

Yeah I thought I was different as I know people go crazy for any KC picks over 11 years but I seem to prefer picks in the 10 year range.

Yeah I thought I was different as I know people go crazy for any KC picks over 11 years but I seem to prefer picks in the 10 year range.

I've actually got some 12 to 13 year old private selections that are really good, and I've got another 14yo PS from another store that I tasted during the pick that I'm hopeful is as good as I remember (FacePlant certainly likes it, so I'm sure I will too). I actually participated in the pick on this particular bottle too, but I think the final barrel that was chosen was my second choice that I thought was a bit too oaky at the time. It still makes a very good old fashioned, which I enjoy during the summer, so all is not lost.

A visit from the Colonel this evening.
20180723_213320-784x1613.thumb.jpg.0e68e82e941604124f8ca511c3bfe4e8.jpg

My first thought before I scrolled down to the picture was “fried chicken?”
  • I like it 1

Really struggling with a PS 8y-11 mo OBSF that I picked up earlier today.  I just can’t put a finger on what’s in there.  What am I tasting?  It’s...it’s...it’s......I keep pouring into my glass waiting for a light bulb to go off to give me a clue as to where I stand.  At this point, I have no clue.  I don’t love it.  I dont dislike it. But, it’s not even neutral...This Bottle is going to take some time for me to wrap my head around.  Which is odd for me, because I typically can make a high percentage and accurate call on what I taste and how I like a whiskey.  This could end up really well, really bad, or completely f@+! up my baseline...I’m frightened for me...  :o

Perhaps it was the Zaxby’s sammie I had in the car on the drive home...  :D

• I like it 1

Really struggling with a PS 8y-11 mo OBSF that I picked up earlier today.  I just can’t put a finger on what’s in there.  What am I tasting?  It’s...it’s...it’s......I keep pouring into my glass waiting for a light bulb to go off to give me a clue as to where I stand.  At this point, I have no clue.  I don’t love it.  I dont dislike it. But, it’s not even neutral...This Bottle is going to take some time for me to wrap my head around.  Which is odd for me, because I typically can make a high percentage and accurate call on what I taste and how I like a whiskey.  This could end up really well, really bad, or completely f@+! up my baseline...I’m frightened for me...  [emoji33]

Perhaps it was the Zaxby’s sammie I had in the car on the drive home...  [emoji3]

Zax’s sauce strikes again!!!

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Really struggling with a PS 8y-11 mo OBSF that I picked up earlier today.  I just can’t put a finger on what’s in there.  What am I tasting?  It’s...it’s...it’s......I keep pouring into my glass waiting for a light bulb to go off to give me a clue as to where I stand.  At this point, I have no clue.  I don’t love it.  I dont dislike it. But, it’s not even neutral...This Bottle is going to take some time for me to wrap my head around.  Which is odd for me, because I typically can make a high percentage and accurate call on what I taste and how I like a whiskey.  This could end up really well, really bad, or completely f@+! up my baseline...I’m frightened for me...  :o

I have a 9 y 9 m OESV I can't quite put my finger on, I have come to the conclusion that I love it for all of it's weirdness. 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Personally, something is different with Four Roses PSSB these days. At first I thought is was the fact that JR was gone and quality control was not what it used to be. Then I realized, he was still there when this juice was put away and we are still 6 to 7 years away from Elliott's juice hitting shelves. Then I thought, maybe it was just the recipe that I didn't care for too much. The first bottle I had a problem with, was a bottle of Liquor Barn OBSK which is my favorite recipe!

I have concluded, that is must be they are so short on stock these days. They are just bottling these barrels well before they are ready and not in the 9 to 12 year prime according to my taste buds. All of my 9 1/2 year or older bottles taste great. Anything younger than that. It is a noticeable difference and I do not like it nearly as well. 

Again this is just one mans theory, but there is something off and odd about what is coming out these days, and I think it is just the age of the juice.

Back in the day, my regular pours were AAA10YO, VOB BIB 6YO, and OWA. When I wanted to step up for not much more, it was EW SB which I thought was just superior for the price. Last night, though, I found the 2010 vintage somewhat disappointing. Again.  I don't know if my palate has changed significantly or if the EW SB is simply no longer up to its usual standards.

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

Back in the day, my regular pours were AAA10YO, VOB BIB 6YO, and OWA. When I wanted to step up for not much more, it was EW SB which I thought was just superior for the price. Last night, though, I found the 2010 vintage somewhat disappointing. Again.  I don't know if my palate has changed significantly or if the EW SB is simply no longer up to its usual standards.

Yeah, with a single barrel product, you're going to get some barrels that are better and some that are sub par.  That's why I generally avoid SBs unless they are a private selection or a store pic of someone whose palate I trust. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.