What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Mccanna.  Love it!  

Damn auto spell 

On 7/9/2018 at 5:42 AM, Richnimrod said:

What notable differences have you become aware of, J?      I've only had the BIB; but bought a newer (non-BIB) and will eventually open it.

It's been a minute since I had one of each at the same time so I don't know I could properly articulate the differences from memory. I just remember when I did a SBS thinking the differences were easily noticable.

4 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Damn auto spell 

Yeh, dat wazzit.  :D

37 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yeh, dat wazzit.  :D

Well, I like to spell things the way they sound.????

Edited by LCWoody

A nice pour of this one, pretty tasty for the price. I'll take it over BT.

m5Ki0s1.jpg

• I like it 4

Making a pretty good dent in the 100 proof store pick I bought last week. Almost get this bubble gum ‘big league chew’ thing on the nose. It works. 

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Trying these sbs for the first time. Since they're so close in proof (52.8% and 50%) the taste difference is really based on the age difference. The 11yr definitely has more complexity. I then poured some OBSQ (56.2%) to sbs with the 11yr. I gotta say I prefer the OBSQ, but they're both (all) very good. I'm headed to KY next month. I'm hoping to get an OBSK or an O yeast from the distillery. 

20180710_180337.jpg

I've got one of those Q bottles from my trip to the Lou last weekend.  Waiting to open it and its 7 cousins until I complete the set of 10.  Still need the O bottles, so please think of me if the gift shop search is successful.  I've got plenty of friends on the east side of the state to pony it my way...

I had the wife blind pour these for me. 

This was the first time I'd had the John J Bowman.

I immediately separated the WTKS and HM10 from the the others since they're a little louder. Due to the dryness I picked the HM10 first guess. 

The other 3 were more difficult, but I got the 4R on the 2nd guess and the other 2 on the first guess (I had her tell me yes or no after my first guess for 4R, oops). 

These 5 are all single barrels, all within 1.5% of each other, (allegedly) fairly close in age, but all over the price spectrum. My favorite is the WTKS (which didn't surprise me). I can see myself liking any of the others 2nd depending on the day. 

20180711_193937.jpg

• I like it 4

Glad to continue seeing these hit the clearance bin for under $20, have yet to find the six row barley or triticale but so far I've enjoyed these all, probably dig the Red Wheat and High Rye the most but I'm wondering if that is just because they are the most familiar. 

y4m25bDHXJy_iI4Aa8S7W3Dvi49VDysybck7-tfN

• I like it 1

A healthy final pour of this excellent 13yo KCSB selected by Davidson’s in Colorado. It has a nice oaky underpinning as expected but more fruity notes than most other KCSBs I’ve had.

A0369570-3251-4D48-986C-D2D139FFE229.jpeg

I can’t post any more pics. Apparently I maxed out the storage. 

Made another run at Stagg Jr 129.5. Lots better than I remember. 

36 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I can’t post any more pics. Apparently I maxed out the storage. 

That happened to me a while ago, since I take pictures with my phone and they sync to "the cloud" I just link them from there, I use OneDrive but I would think Google and iCloud be used the same way. 

SBS of 16 GTS and SJR Batch 9. Wow jr. stands up tall against dad.  It has a slightly sweeter profile on the palate and nose with less alcohol on the nose. Sr. has quite a bit of alcohol heat from its extra proof points and more oak on the finish. It has another layer of complexity to it where jr. has just a tad bit of "rough around the edges" quality to it. Sr. has a bit of that old leather that I associate with older BT products. Blind these would have come in a lot closer and I'm sure I'm projecting a little bit. The wife tried them blind and picked Sr. as the better pour.

20180711_221146-1612x784.jpg

• I like it 2

Our local bourbon/cigar group finally managed to get together tonight after a few week hiatus. Enjoyed tonight were BT, Weller SR, Redemption Rye, a Peoria Walkers Deluxe and an older variation of J.W. Dant BIB. A good time was had by all. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Mako254 said:

The 129.5 (batch 8 ) was awesome!  I could get lost for days in the nose... 

40 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Four Grain for $10/ pour. 

That’s as good as the deal I got the other day of ETL and CEHT SmB for $7.95 and Blanton’s for $9.75. 

Recently opened some bottles I've been sitting on for a few months and have been impressed by all comers.  First a standard RR, then EWBIB, followed by Larceny.   Had a bottle of Larceny 5 or 6 years ago but that was before I really had a palate, so only remembered not disliking at all.  Very surprised to find a similar nutty note in both the Larceny and the Evan Williams. I presume this is the HH house style coming through.

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Our local bourbon/cigar group finally managed to get together tonight after a few week hiatus. Enjoyed tonight were BT, Weller SR, Redemption Rye, a Peoria Walkers Deluxe and an older variation of J.W. Dant BIB. A good time was had by all. ^_^

Biba! Joe

The Dant that Joe brought was amazing!! Plenty of that old time butterscotch on the nose, nice and chewy and delicious!  A tough act to follow, but tonight's pour of a RRSiB from Binny's is pretty damn good.

I have this Stagg Jr. I've been using to vat with a less than desirable ER10 private barrel. That was a successful vat that allowed me to finish the ER10 but now that it's gone and I'm drinking the Stagg Jr. on its own I'm thinking I should have just poured out the ER. This Stagg Jr. is fantastic all by itself. Whichever of you out there who've been describing Stagg Jr. as cherry cola are spot on. So good.

• I like it 2

Been sitting in the bunker a while so thought I'd crack it open. I know they have a bad rap and I haven't bought any for a while now... but the 2014 is excellent wherever it came from...

Screenshot_20180713-220527_Photos.jpg

Currently I am enjoying a 14 yr old KC SB PS from Packages & More (Elizabethtown, Ky).  An outstanding selection from the KC warehouse!

42 minutes ago, beasled said:

Been sitting in the bunker a while so thought I'd crack it open. I know they have a bad rap and I haven't bought any for a while now... but the 2014 is excellent wherever it came from...

Screenshot_20180713-220527_Photos.jpg

These can be all over the place, glad you got a good one

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.