What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Celebrating the safe arrival of my baby girl with a couple 100ml bottles of WT101 smuggled into the room. Going down nicely, and will help me sleep on the couch/desk/table/bed combo thing I'm dealing with : - ) 

Big Congrats!!! The good ole days are here today.

• I like it 1

Celebrated this afternoon with a pour of William Heavenhill SB.    What was I celebrating?    I haven't a clue.    How about ...celebrating a nice afternoon, and a nice pour to boot?

• I like it 3

Having a pour of an 8 year OESQ. Earlier I had a store pick KCSB. Really different but both are very good. 

Tonight:  a GeeTen vatting of 3 WTRB with 2 Bernheim.

• I like it 1

A nice HMcK 10 with dinner... as usual the best bang for the buck

IMG_9996.thumb.JPG.a47885c0d876691ba0ea89d6ec788997.JPG

• I like it 1

This is post #2000 for me, decided it should be a pour of one of my favorites and despite all the options on the WT shelf went with a freshly cracked Booker's 2014-05, 7 yrs 5 months 63.95% and like every other Booker's I have had absolutely fantastic. Not sure why I needed a 3rd open bottle of Booker's but here we are. 

y4mr87-BmoghHU-3DrF7exNi6LVexZIxQUgtvzWf

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Celebrated this afternoon with a pour of William Heavenhill SB.    What was I celebrating?    I haven't a clue.    How about ...celebrating a nice afternoon, and a nice pour to boot?

You were celebrating Alpe d'Huez. It's definitely worthy.

Took 3 bottles to supper club to share tonight: a BT store pick, 100 proof OBSV store pick, and Bakers. 

Home now with a little B517 to finish up the night. 

Having a fishnbowljoe kind of night. Started with a wee nip of PVW15. The palate was super into that so I kept it rolling with some OWA. Palate was super super into that so I kept it rolling again with some WLW. Surprise, the palate is into it. It's a wheater night I guess! 

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Finally got to try Al Young 50th. 

55ECC68A-704C-4141-80A1-100E9374F4BC.jpeg

That is a great pour..and a great pic! Looks like Christmas. 

• I like it 1

Bourbon is just not doing it for me in this heat; so the Yuengling has been doing double duty. On this night, however, I was going to find my island if I had to go through everything that I had open, 1/2 oz at a time...

Started with the KC120 and even this goto wasn't going. Next was Blanton's and even though this is a very good bottle (Jan this year) it struck out, harshly. (damn) The LS SS Jefferson V11, was closer than the other 2, but the CEHT SiB wasssssssss...  Eureka!!! It got a second, decisive 2 oz pour. Boy was that suffering!!! hehe.

friday.jpg.f2867f2ecf94f12eec779406ff920be9.jpg

After starting on the dark side, opted for an 9 yr, 1 mo OBSV; one of the first Brent Elliott gift shop picks from Sept 2015.  Pretty tasty!

Been hitting the WTRB 116.8.  I find it excellent at around 103 proof.  Tonight, I am having a healthy (but single) pour of Total Wine KCSB.  It is a little more woody and astringent than my first pour from the bottle.  A little less cherry and vanilla than I recall.  I may have proofed it down a little too much.  I am around 103 proof.  This one seems to sing a little better at a slightly higher proof.  The profile is interesting.  While the taste is a little off, the nose is top tier.  

Due to this wicked sinus infection, and the fact I can't smell anything anyway, I decided to go back to what started this whole bourbon journey, a little Jim Beam and Coke....Gasp. Relax people it's only temporary.

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 1

Feeling off tonight, really off RR10yr tasted astringent, figured I should try something a little more out of left field and went with this HW AP SP finished in Pinot barrels for 1.9 years and what do you know it's working quite well. 

y4mXekVxqMzv-IeDnfKHwSpCMWvG2EXsGZIHKd_m

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Due to this wicked sinus infection, and the fact I can't smell anything anyway, I decided to go back to what started this whole bourbon journey, a little Jim Beam and Coke....Gasp. Relax people it's only temporary.

I ain’t got no problem with that, my man.  

Larceny for me right now.  

I drank a hell of a lot of JB and Coke in my younger days...especially during my time in the Marine Corps. I haven’t had one for more than 30 years now, but may have to have one during this hot summer for nostalgia sake.

Having a pour (1) HM 10y tonight (always good), I have to get up early tomorrow morning. My daughter has a track meet tomorrow. I'm going to brag a little, she is ranked 4th in the nation for 11 year old's in javelin at the Jr. Olympics this year. We just found this info out yesterday. So I'm a proud papa with my chest poking out a little bit....   The Olympics are still a few weeks away, this is her final meet until then.  

• I like it 5

Just finished packing the car for vacation. It’s 12a and alarm is set for 4a to roust the family and hit the road for the 300+ mile drive to the OBX.  Need to go to sleep on a good note, so it’s WLW ‘16 for me. Long breaks between sips because the finish just lingers, and lingers, and lingers...

A5707B77-3B9F-438F-9996-CAFEA453EC68.jpeg

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Just finished packing the car for vacation. It’s 12a and alarm is set for 4a to roust the family and hit the road for the 300+ mile drive to the OBX.  Need to go to sleep on a good note, so it’s WLW ‘16 for me. Long breaks between sips because the finish just lingers, and lingers, and lingers...

I had to look up what OBX was. Have a great trip.

In addition to my “collection” bottles, I typically keep a couple sippers open all the time. But the summer heat has turned my casual preference towards ice-cold gin drinks: G&T or martini mostly... but I wanted some bourbon tonight. Opened my cabinet to find the only one I had open was a Bookers Bluegill Creek. So I started with a single of that in a glencairn with half a tsp of filtered water. It was good . . . for the price Bookers was a few years ago. Later, I wanted something else, so I had to open something new. My only purchase this week was Blanton’s SP, as my local was lucky enough to get a barrel this year. This was the only bottle there, and I had to go in the middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday to get it (they put out whatever they get on Mondays). It struck me how crazy it is that Blanton’s is so limited and allocated now. So, I put the SP in my bunker but decided to open an ordinary Blanton’s I’ve had bunkered for awhile. It was the first Blanton’s I’ve had in about six months. It was heavenly. Bright coppery color and nice legs, unique appearance from anything I’ve had lately. Palate was also bright, baked golden raisins rolled in brown sugar, honey crisp finish. Since I last had it, I polished off a bottle of HPR, and I’ve gotta say, it really comes in far below the Blanton’s, despite the shared mashbill... sorry for the wall of text. This was just the first night in a long while I’ve really been this satisfied and inspired by a whiskey. Cheers!

Heaven Hill BiB... listening to the Oscar Peterson Trio play "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good".

Edited by DeluxeReverb
  • I like it 1

My wife requested a rose whiskey sour since we had a little rose left so I made those with Larceny. Very refreshing. But this is a bourbon thread so I followed with some OWA. Wasn't firing like it was last night but was still satisfying. Finishing with some Booker's Kathleen's Batch. This is the first Booker's I've bought since the price increase. I decided to dive back in since it was pretty highly rated. I've put a hurt on this bottle but honestly I think I like Baker's better. (I've been SBSing then for a while now.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.