What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Charter 8yrAS  (from the suspicious age stated bottles that showed up last year).  I have no idea if it is or isn’t 8 years old, but it’s tasting fine tonight. 

A little thin, but the kiss of caramel is nice. 

Back in the day, my regular pours were AAA10YO, VOB BIB 6YO, and OWA. When I wanted to step up for not much more, it was EW SB which I thought was just superior for the price. Last night, though, I found the 2010 vintage somewhat disappointing. Again.  I don't know if my palate has changed significantly or if the EW SB is simply no longer up to its usual standards.

The average age on EWSB used to be around 10 years, and it is now sometimes less than 8 years old. Younger age and single barrel differences probably explain a lot of the difference in standards from what you remember, but I've also found some bottles from barrels between 8 and 9 years that are still really good. I avoid buying any that are less than 8 years old, but I'm sure some of them are still probably pretty good...I'll just never know unless I taste one first.

Enjoying some of my favorite blend this evening...Grandpa Weller's Four Grain! It's definitely hitting on all cylinders tonight!

• I like it 1

Breaking a five day lay off. 

Russells Reserve, ware house D. A pick from Motor Supply Co here in Columbia. 

4 peated pours tonight was a bit too much. Capping with the good old OGD114 and off to bed.

The beauty of single barrels.

I poured from a bottle of RY10 I got earlier this year. My past experiences with this bourbon were not good - a buddy got a bottle of the first release from which i had pours on a couple occasions, and it was just woody and flat, not good. This one is very different. Tonight i started with a short pour of Blaum Bros 10 yr (MGP juice) to finish that bottle for tomorrows recycling truck, then proceeded to the RY10. My first pour of this bottle, opened last week as a later last pour of a night, was quite impressed, but wanted a fresher prospective. Tonight it was first woody, with cinnamon & cotton candy. As the glass opened, I got apple and pear on the tongue. Almost like there was some weird Irish whiskey thing going on underneath. A little more time brought that HH peanut on the nose and finish. Good amount of wood the whole time. This is one complex mother. Two pours in, I will see what this bottle brings next.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

The beauty of single barrels.

Tonight i started with a short pour of Blaum Bros 10 yr (MGP juice) to finish that bottle for tomorrows recycling truck, 

What did you think of the Blaum Brothers? I just heard of the MGP SiB picks earlier this week and may pick up a bottle on Friday. Still on the fence

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What did you think of the Blaum Brothers? I just heard of the MGP SiB picks earlier this week and may pick up a bottle on Friday. Still on the fence

I like it. Its neither overly sweet or oaky. Has that MGP dill note in there, if that doesnt put you off. A friend recently picked me up a bottle of the Woodmans SB 11 yr pick that I am looking forward to getting & trying.

I’ve been on a CEHT SiB lately and my God is it incredible. 

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I like it. Its neither overly sweet or oaky. Has that MGP dill note in there, if that doesnt put you off. A friend recently picked me up a bottle of the Woodmans SB 11 yr pick that I am looking forward to getting & trying.

Thanks for replying. I was a bit put off by the price vs other MGP sourced bottles. But seeing as how I can’t find and SAOS or Belle Meade single barrels anyway, I think I will give it a go! 

Also an 11 year on this one. 

19 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

1BA59339-C5B2-480A-8596-682DE069FD76.jpeg

Did Drew do a good job, I'm intrigued to know if William has a chance in this race

11 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Did Drew do a good job, I'm intrigued to know if William has a chance in this race

Did a very brief side by side when I got home and initially I’d say drew is an 89 and william an 87. Both are rock solid B+ barrels. Need to spend some more time before making a pick. Very pleased with drew though. 

• I like it 1

Since I'm on vacation or something like it I decided to continue my one night only mini tribute to Booker with a SBS of Booker era JBB 8 and Fred era JBB 8, Fred's was "the highest rated North American Whiskey" according to the bottle (*Based on a tasting of the Beverage Tasting Institute 2008 Chicago, IL in smaller text conveniently wrapped over onto the side of the bottle ;)) but the older bottle edges it out by inches (*inches being the plural of inch numbering from one inch to infinity inches) 

y4mNqBoJ1xxLrLEFh4MBuqTMQf1MIZCu5kCj9wgV

By the way since I'm sure you are on pin's and needles wondering about my earlier Booker's shootout, the 2007ish bottle at 6y 7m that was, lets say, many shades darker than the 2014 7y 5m batch was the winner tonight and despite my tendency to say all Booker's are basically the same, these two were quite different but both enjoyable. 

• I like it 2

On 7/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, elmossle said:

Personally, something is different with Four Roses PSSB these days. At first I thought is was the fact that JR was gone and quality control was not what it used to be. Then I realized, he was still there when this juice was put away and we are still 6 to 7 years away from Elliott's juice hitting shelves. Then I thought, maybe it was just the recipe that I didn't care for too much. The first bottle I had a problem with, was a bottle of Liquor Barn OBSK which is my favorite recipe!

I have concluded, that is must be they are so short on stock these days. They are just bottling these barrels well before they are ready and not in the 9 to 12 year prime according to my taste buds. All of my 9 1/2 year or older bottles taste great. Anything younger than that. It is a noticeable difference and I do not like it nearly as well. 

Again this is just one mans theory, but there is something off and odd about what is coming out these days, and I think it is just the age of the juice.

The answer to your question is: all of the above.

Jim used to personally approve the barrels that went into the single barrel program. That kind of personal QC doesn't exist at the moment.

Also, yes - they are short on stock.

• I like it 1

Another sub $30 bottle that I thoroughly enjoy. It's within a dollar or 2 of BT here and to me it's just as good and sometimes better. I wish they'd come out with a 1.75l bottle. 

20180727_182715.jpg

• I like it 2

Finished off the last OZ or so of an OGD 114 used in a vatting.  Dropped in a couple ice cubes (AC was out two days and, although fixed now, hasn't been on long enough for me to get used to the chill).  This one sure tastes richer @ about 80 proof than the bottled 80 proof OGD does IIRC.  Maybe it's at 90 or so.  Whatever.  Nats 4, Mariners 0.  It's a good night.

Edit - Just realized the Nats are playing the Marlins in FL, not the Mariners in Seattle.  Good thing I'm not driving.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Uh, MARLINS, not Mariners.

Finished off a RRSiB warehouse “K” pick. Now having a little GW4G. 

Really into the RR lately. Although a bit pricey, the store picks are pretty easy to find and delicious. Looking forward to cracking a new one. 

Doing some valuable scientific research, for science...
y4mFcTMyBwYRHwGT6SbkzQ_txLoUjB_qVBF946fk8p5XUn7hSwssFYy1R4yB2t3uJGK5ETdOCAhTCoEvlv2UZKYTgSKH0jD-lHmt3KGm8f-F1dLJjqKa6235vb_P1ASuWy6I3CcAZlcGIjCmEgw_WtBNWRrM5Q3Qk600roHaXWAYdOi_Ns3-r6LqlyXmBqmCuXjtR-XmtEiCrlKgwgVE0RZvQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none
Good on you! We need more experiments like this for other's to learn :)
  • I like it 1

I've come back after a hiatus because of a really bad toothache that gave me migraines. It was horrible, I couldn't do anything! I've been getting better and I'm on vacation, so doubly good!

I bought some new bookers to enjoy the start of my vacation, it's proven to be good so far. I hope everyone is doing well tonight. IMG_20180726_182444.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.