What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For those who dismiss anything under 100 proof, too bad you don't have one of these. Very flavorful, thick and chewy, with a finish that goes on forever :). My only regret is that I could only get 1 bottle.

P1090909.JPG

• I like it 2

Well......... I have/ had a few Wellers open. Amongst them are a couple of private selections, and a couple of leftovers from the last batch of my Weller Blend. As of late, I’ve been enjoying my leftovers in spur of the moment blends. What can  I say?  :P

Biba! Joe

Diving back into some Big Level tonight. Little rougher around the edges tonight than my last pour of it. Still get the shortbread cookie taste though. 

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a pour of the new batch of Stagg Jr. (126.4). Good bourbon. 

More than just "good".  I love this stuff.  Just wish it were more available here in the Bay Area. 

On 6/21/2018 at 7:26 PM, LCWoody said:

Trying a new barrel of HM10y tonight. This is the best one I’ve had lately, of the higher numbers (4000 and up). 

image.thumb.jpg.ebced70f44306f6fbeabd38c87639fc2.jpg

Generally speaking the lower the barrel number the better chances of finding something special? I found a LS with a supply of barrel 3549 from 10-06-06 for $30. I have one bottle and it is very tasty. Thinking about going back and grabbing 2 more.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:26 PM, LCWoody said:

Trying a new barrel of HM10y tonight. This is the best one I’ve had lately, of the higher numbers (4000 and up). 

image.thumb.jpg.ebced70f44306f6fbeabd38c87639fc2.jpg

Generally speaking the lower the barrel number the better chances of finding something special? I found a LS with a supply of barrel 3549 from 10-06-06 for $30. I have one bottle and it is very tasty. Thinking about going back and grabbing 2 more.

Doing a little sbs between some 2006 Wild Turkey 12yo and a split label from 1994, well, they are not making them like this amymore, that’s for sure. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Relaxing on the patio, a healthy pour of HHBIB straight from the fridge. 

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Doing a little sbs between some 2006 Wild Turkey 12yo and a split label from 1994, well, they are not making them like this amymore, that’s for sure. Cheers! 

Will. 

Aare u going to have a chance to purchase the RR 2002 over there? Would be interested to hear how it rates. 

It’s our turn to host supper club, so I went to pick out a bourbon to pair with freshly caught redfish and discovered that I’ve already ran out of room in the barrel. Any suggestions as to what to pair with the fish?

5914AFAF-D01E-4585-AB50-D3AE4F0B50A6.jpeg

Celebrating the safe arrival of my baby girl with a couple 100ml bottles of WT101 smuggled into the room. Going down nicely, and will help me sleep on the couch/desk/table/bed combo thing I'm dealing with : - ) 

• I like it 8

Celebrating the safe arrival of my baby girl with a couple 100ml bottles of WT101 smuggled into the room. Going down nicely, and will help me sleep on the couch/desk/table/bed combo thing I'm dealing with : - ) 

Congrats.
  • I like it 1

9 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

CONGRATULATIONS!  Give momma a nip as she did all the work ;) and save some because it’ll help when the little princess is teething.  But yeah, take a big slug for yourself tonight to celebrate.  Best to your growing family.

Cheers!

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, Statesboro Blues said:

It’s our turn to host supper club, so I went to pick out a bourbon to pair with freshly caught redfish and discovered that I’ve already ran out of room in the barrel. Any suggestions as to what to pair with the fish?

5914AFAF-D01E-4585-AB50-D3AE4F0B50A6.jpeg

Love the Red Heads, and Green Head on the wall...…. Bourbon looks good too..

Edited by LCWoody

Congrats!
  • I like it 1

47 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Love the Red Heads, and Green Head on the wall...…. Bourbon looks good too..

I hafta disagree with ya', LCW.    None of those dux look like they're doing all that well to me.    Hell, I'd even venture a guess at least 2 of the three are DEAD!    :lol:

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2018 at 10:26 PM, Clueby said:

SBS of 16 GTS and SJR Batch 9. Wow jr. stands up tall against dad.  It has a slightly sweeter profile on the palate and nose with less alcohol on the nose. Sr. has quite a bit of alcohol heat from its extra proof points and more oak on the finish. It has another layer of complexity to it where jr. has just a tad bit of "rough around the edges" quality to it. Sr. has a bit of that old leather that I associate with older BT products. Blind these would have come in a lot closer and I'm sure I'm projecting a little bit. The wife tried them blind and picked Sr. as the better pour.

20180711_221146-1612x784.jpg

I've done the same SBS and had very similar conclusions. Sr is a bit more complex, intense and obviously a bit older but all things said, Jr is about 95% as good or somewhere in that range. The relative ease of finding the Jr sure makes the near impossibility of me finding a bottle of Sr at retail all the easier to live with.

Edited by EarthQuake

Stagg Jr. "sucks" don't buy it...…. one of the worst bourbons ever.....   

Stagg Jr. "sucks" don't buy it...…. one of the worst bourbons ever.....   
I came to the party late, what? I love Stagg Jr, surely you jest. Sarcasm I detect.
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Congrats on the new arrival sir!! Those little girls do love their Daddy. Well, most of the time. Until they want something from Mommy! Again, congrats on the new addition.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Aare u going to have a chance to purchase the RR 2002 over there? Would be interested to hear how it rates. 

Sadly no, it's an unicorn here in Europe too, could get one though, but i don't to pay top euro (translation of "top dollar" in Europe ha ha). This one is on my bucket list, at least of sample of it, shouldn't be too hard to find, thx for the reminder ;-))) 

Will.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.