What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Baker’s at the end of Braves on radio out back. Outhit 19-9, but still manage to win.  Listening to game, you’d think Braves lose 19-5.  

As Joaquin Andujar said to Don Sutton decades ago when describing things like this:  Joo know Sooton, Bezbal is a funny game. It comes down to one word...Youneverknow...  :D

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Baker’s at the end of Braves on radio out back. Outhit 19-9, but still manage to win.  Listening to game, you’d think Braves lose 19-5.  

As Joaquin Andujar said to Don Sutton decades ago when describing things like this:  Joo know Sooton, Bezbal is a funny game. It comes down to one word...Youneverknow...  :D

Smokin Jo, what part of Braves Cointey do you live? I can’t wait to be apart of a pennant run again!

EHT SmB.  Really good and better than the EHT rye, IMO.  Haven't tried any others in the line bit would like to... 

So I couldn't take it and had to try a small taste of the old bottle I found of Chapin & Gore that appears to be from the 80s (tax stamp but no UPC or warning label, metric 750ml). It was open but everything appears nice and clear. I trusted it enough for a 1/2 oz pour. I did a sbs with HH 6 Year 90 proof which seemed to be about as close to this as I have on hand. They are both 6 years old. C&G is 93 vs 90 for the HH. They were nearly identical in color and very similar on the nose. The C&G was a little more muted. The HH was a tad hotter and has that HH nuttiness. The C&G tastes VERY similar without the nuttiness. Has a little of that "dusty old" taste on the finish with a little more bitterness than the HH. The C&G is softer on the tongue.  Glad I tried it but it's not an "OMG it's a great old dusty" pour.

20180812_201825-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

ECBP A117. I ended up with 4 bottles of this batch, the first after the new bottle type came out. It wasn’t received very well and in comparison to some of the sweeter brown sugar batches I somewhat understood the hits. Having it now after a long break however, it stands up really well on its own. The twelve years of oak is prominent as is the vanilla. It’s maybe a two trick pony plus a big proof punch, but those are really good tricks. Loving it. 

EHT SiB. The nose is off the charts. It smells exactly like rickhouse C. The taste is really good but not up to par with the nose. Getting into the Barrel Proof Friday night.

Four Roses tonight.  Started with 17' SmbLE, now OESV PS.  Love that 2017 LE = complex with a great nose & finish.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Try mixing it with Stagg Jr. SJR:C101 = 3:1.

I just might have to do that. I got a bottle of SJR.

Thanks to a fellow SB'er (whose nickname happens to have the word "whore" in it :D) I'm enjoying some '08 WLW. What an amazing pour!

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Thanks to a fellow SB'er (whose nickname happens to have the word "whore" in it :D) I'm enjoying some '08 WLW. What an amazing pour!

What a coincidence! :rolleyes: I somehow managed to finish off an '08 WLW over this past week. ^_^ I was just posting in the Empty Bottle support thread. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

22 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Four Roses tonight.  Started with 17' SmbLE, now OESV PS.  Love that 2017 LE = complex with a great nose & finish.

I poured a glass of this last week but fell asleep on the couch before drinking it! Put it in a flask. I think I just decided on my pour for tonight.

Last night I went back to a Blantons SFTB after some air time, and it has improved from good to great. Tonight started with RR SiB and then moved to JW Dant BiB. There is a very noticeable quality to the Heaven Hill bonded bourbons; do some of you describe it as mint? It doesn't quite seem like mint to me, but I can't put my finger on what I would call it.

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of this on Saturday, as it was my first time seeing it in Texas. I think it is quite tasty, regardless of the fact it is sourced juice. Definitely agrees with my palate.IMG_8807.JPG

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Picked up a bottle of this on Saturday, as it was my first time seeing it in Texas. I think it is quite tasty, regardless of the fact it is sourced juice. Definitely agrees with my palate.IMG_8807.JPG

MGP makes very good bourbon, they sell very little of it (and only recently) under house brands, if a brand is upfront with it's sourcing I don't think the "regardless of the fact that it is sourced" qualifier is needed these days. Wish we were still in the glory days of cheap SAOS but Boone County and Belle Meade seem to be the most prevalent at this point for well aged MGP

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Last night I went back to a Blantons SFTB after some air time, and it has improved from good to great. Tonight started with RR SiB and then moved to JW Dant BiB. There is a very noticeable quality to the Heaven Hill bonded bourbons; do some of you describe it as mint? It doesn't quite seem like mint to me, but I can't put my finger on what I would call it.

I often pick up what I describe as a eucalyptus note, with this house...

• I like it 2

Kicked off the evening with a Blanton's store pick. It was very tasty with a pronounced cherry note on the finish. Next up, another store pick EC which also happens to be a 12yr old barrel. While I still prefer the "original" EC12, this comes in as a close second. Especially since I can't find any more the of the original. I am seriously thinking about buying a case of this one to have on hand.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, smokinjoe said:

One word: thatiseffinghilarious :)

Edited by flahute

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

I often pick up what I describe as a eucalyptus note, with this house...

THANK you.  For years I've described it, when it pops up which is NOT all the time, as a trace of mint (but not really) or a hint of menthol (but not quite) or some undefined over-ripe fruit zest (but not a known fruit) - none of which quite caught it.

Eucalyptus.

• I like it 2

Back from a rough day at work. It's just one of those days when you can't wait to leave and have some calming whiskey. Ugh I wish I could win the lottery! Anyways I'm enjoying some cold 101 on this hot day. IMG_20180814_170127.jpeg

• I like it 1

Cult - 4R PS OBSK with one ice cube.  Needed it after a pre-dinner cocktail (about the time the built-in microwave started on its own, thereby throwing dinner into chaos) of Bulliett and blood orange soda.  NEXT - searching online for local appliance stores with an in-stock M/W-oven combo that'll fit in our kitchen.  Oh, joy.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.