What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got me a ER10 yesterday I haven't seen it in Ohio all year. Then today I got the last 1.75 of WSR.  

I've seen a lot of publicity about this release.  Nice price.  I'll be interested to hear what you think about it.

Lots of ethanol on the nose, very light in color, but sweet with a lot of vanilla on the palate. Finish is short, but tasty.

All in all, drinkable, especially for the price.
  • I like it 1

23 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

Since you're from the Granite State, I have to ask if you found that in one of the state liquor stores. The last time I was in one a couple years ago the selection of bourbon would have been generously described as pedestrian. Scotch appeared to be the whiskey of choice at that time.

I did not find it in a state store. We have only been here almost a year now, and the options for bourbon in states stores is pretty good. Coming from NC, I am used to state run stores and can usually find most of your standard selections regularly available. I've even been impressed with the amount and regularity of single barrel picks that there are from the state. You have to be lucky and watch the website for certain items that are not LE's but harder to get but that is everywhere these days. Personally, I have a much better chance of finding what I want here and at a good price versus back home in KY that is for sure. 

Got these the other day after a perfectly timed email on a short work day. $79 

enhance

Edited by FasterHorses

Got these the other day after a perfectly timed email on a short work day. $79 

enhance

A perfect example of sourced Tennessee Whiskey being labeled as Straight Bourbon Whiskey...imagine that! [emoji6] I hope you enjoy them.

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

A perfect example of sourced Tennessee Whiskey being labeled as Straight Bourbon Whiskey...imagine that! emoji6.png I hope you enjoy them.

Its just Dickel 12 right?  It IS Straight Bourbon.  I'm not sure what you mean by your post.

Its just Dickel 12 right?  It IS Straight Bourbon.  I'm not sure what you mean by your post.

It is Dickel, and technically is Straight Bourbon. My post was a jab at all those that insist that Tennessee Whiskey isn’t bourbon...including many of the Kentucky Distillers that will argue all day long that it isn’t because of the charcoal filtration, which is funny because I can think of a few Kentucky bourbons that even claim to be charcoal filtered right on the bottle.
  • I like it 2

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

It is Dickel, and technically is Straight Bourbon. My post was a jab at all those that insist that Tennessee Whiskey isn’t bourbon...including many of the Kentucky Distillers that will argue all day long that it isn’t because of the charcoal filtration, which is funny because I can think of a few Kentucky bourbons that even claim to be charcoal filtered right on the bottle.

HH White label is charcoal filtered and is obviously fantastic.. Are other HH bourbons charcoal filtered?

Clueby.. the pegleg is  dickel but the dickel 12 isnt 12 years old whereas the pegleg is. Also i have read that a unique filtering process is used for the pegleg, which sets it apart from the dickel.

18 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Oh ok. I wasn't picking up the jab. I thought you were claiming it wasn't bourbon. Many KY bourbons are charcoal filtered.

HH White label is charcoal filtered and is obviously fantastic.. Are other HH bourbons charcoal filtered?

Clueby.. the pegleg is  dickel but the dickel 12 isnt 12 years old whereas the pegleg is. Also i have read that a unique filtering process is used for the pegleg, which sets it apart from the dickel.

HH 6yo BIB, 90 proof and regular are all charcoal filtered.
  • I like it 1

FWIW, Dickel and JD  use the Lincoln County process. The whiskey is leached/filtered through vats containing sugar maple charcoal prior to being aged. In charcoal filtering for bourbon, activated charcoal is used, and the filtration occurs  after aging. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Not disagreeing, nor agreeing, as like the ferryman in “The Outlaw Josey Wales” who admitted that depending on who was on his ferry, he learned to whistle Dixie and sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic with equal enthusiasm... :D , I have the same tendencies in the JD/Bourbon debate depending on my mood..  and lateness of the hour... ;) BUT, the Dickel and Daniel’s LCP is maple charcoal drip filtration before barreling, while most charcoal filtering claims from KY Distilleries are activated charcoal thrown in post barrel dumping and part of the chill filtering process.   This is an important distinction according to...me... :D 

• I like it 3

FWIW, Dickel and JD  use the Lincoln County process. The whiskey is leached/filtered through vats containing sugar maple charcoal prior to being aged. In charcoal filtering for bourbon, activated charcoal is used, and the filtration occurs  after aging. 

Biba! Joe

Not disagreeing, nor agreeing, as like the ferryman in “The Outlaw Josey Wales” who admitted that depending on who was on his ferry, he learned to whistle Dixie and sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic with equal enthusiasm... [emoji3] , I have the same tendencies in the JD/Bourbon debate depending on my mood..  and lateness of the hour... [emoji6] BUT, the Dickel and Daniel’s LCP is maple charcoal drip filtration before barreling, while most charcoal filtering claims from KY Distilleries are activated charcoal thrown in post barrel dumping and part of the chill filtering process.   This is an important distinction according to...me... [emoji3] 

My original point was that depending on who is bottling the aged distillate, the same product is called two different things, Tennessee Whiskey or Bourbon, and in my opinion they are both right. There are numerous examples of NDP’s bottling aged Dickel distillate and calling it bourbon, and no one seems to have any issue with that, but as soon as someone tries to say a bottle with JD or Dickel on the label is still just bourbon, many folks get their panties in a wad...just sayin’!

To get the thread back on track, I bought a bottle of Joseph Magnus the other day since it finally started showing up in Memphis...not sure whether it should be called bourbon or not since I hear it might contain aged Dickel distillate...ok enough of me stirring the pot on that issue. [emoji3]

IMG_0050.JPG

RR2002 was totally unexpected. Never even seen one in person.

Pinhook was pretty disappointing, but for like $35, whatever.

1B9CA549-DA6F-4A4E-8F00-40F44EBE9A5C.jpeg

• I like it 2

Picked up quite a bit in KY this weekend, but this one is the best. Got it at Cork & Bottle, and they had one open to try. Very very sweet sourced juice, my guess would be a wheater. Anybody know anything about this stuff or want to wager a  guess?

20180920_200359.jpg

20180920_200352.jpg

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Picked up quite a bit in KY this weekend, but this one is the best. Got it at Cork & Bottle, and they had one open to try. Very very sweet sourced juice, my guess would be a wheater. Anybody know anything about this stuff or want to wager a  guess?

Being a "fifth", I assume this is a 'dusty'.    I've not seen, nor have any experience with this brand. 

'Commemorative' or 'Collectible' decanters were offered under an array of brands during the glut; but more from Wild Turkey and Beam than any of the other majors, AFAIK.     This appears not to be Beam or WT, so no clue.

20180920_200359.thumb.jpg.99e972e82d733baf0d8eda751fdcfb90.jpg
20180920_200352.thumb.jpg.56dfb4aebb0148d588eec8e8f160400a.jpg

As Rich states assuming this is a dusty does what does the tax strip say? Below might give you some pointers to get a date range which might help a more knowledgeable SBer.

Is there a UPC code if not it’s pre 70s. If it has one that should help a lot.

I know SW made decanters like this. Maybe Ezra, Michters, the distillery/distilleries in Philly, which might be a good source for a bottled in Jersey. This in addition to WT and JB that Rich mentioned.

https://whiskeyid.com/how-to-date-id-your-whiskey/

I’m intrigued.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:20 PM, lcpfratn said:

My original point was that depending on who is bottling the aged distillate, the same product is called two different things, Tennessee Whiskey or Bourbon, and in my opinion they are both right. There are numerous examples of NDP’s bottling aged Dickel distillate and calling it bourbon, and no one seems to have any issue with that, but as soon as someone tries to say a bottle with JD or Dickel on the label is still just bourbon, many folks get their panties in a wad...just sayin’!

According to the TTB - Dickel, and JD "Tennessee Whiskey" are classified as bourbon.  All necessary conditions are met to label it as such.  If a distiller in any of the fifty states wants to make bourbon and label it as state of origin whiskey (not put bourbon on the label); they are allowed to do that.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:41 AM, FasterHorses said:

Yeah the Peg Leg is hickory charcoal filtered just prior to bottling. I’m curious to get your thoughts on the 12 year.

According to the TTB - Dickel, and JD "Tennessee Whiskey" are classified as bourbon.  All necessary conditions are met to label it as such.  If a distiller in any of the fifty states wants to make bourbon and label it as state of origin whiskey (not put bourbon on the label); they are allowed to do that.

I think the history and classification may be a little more complicated than that, but I do agree that Dickel and JD meet the conditions to be called bourbon. However, Dickel, JD and some other Tennessee Whiskeys have no interest in being called bourbon because they want to be considered different from bourbon, and most, if not all, of the Kentucky Distilleries don’t want to consider them bourbon either because then they couldn’t continue to claim that over 90% of all bourbon is made in Kentucky. It all comes down to different marketing positions being taken by both sides.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.