What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, berto said:

The Smoke Wagon is 11yr barrel proof MGP so I figured it was worth a shot for $70.

I would like to see pics of the bottle if you can.

Kind of a neat name for a whiskey.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Shows how little appreciation for fine Bourbon they have.    Did you educate the poor misguided souls, Kane?

Absolutely, I used all my authority and dropped knowledge on the next generation. I did my part, at least got most to try a sip, don't know how effective it was. Some commented that it was actually smoother than they thought, some said they preferred jack & coke. They just weren't ready for the bird. When all's said and done, there was enough left in the bottle to last me the night :)

Kids or not it's shocking how clueless, and worse, closed-minded many so-called whiskey enthusiasts are. This is one of my pet peeves. The other one is American folks who only had a Lagavulin 16 in their entire lives slamming bourbon as corn syrup and screaming how great Scotch is, when the one "alien" guy in the room works his ass off all night to convince them otherwise.

Weekend roundup.

Very happy to have doubled up on the Michters as it’s flying off the shelves.

Even happier to procure a Boone County Single Barrel after really enjoying their 12yr.

After procrastinating all year on the KO Rye B01, finally welcomed it to the collection.

Can’t pass up on a OWA store pick and now I’m just hunting the Macallan 1 (wish me luck!) with 2 and 4 already secured.

73401351-631A-4F42-97B4-CA22F0225ACC.jpeg

Not a purchase, but my wife and kids got me a bottle of Blade & Bow for my Birthday yesterday. Anxious to give it a try. 

• I like it 1

Found a bottle of Weller SR today at Bevmo for $27.99.  Couldn't pass it up as it's so rarely seen in the wild here in No. Calif. except at places that mark it up to secondary.  There's a nearby store that has it for $59 but I would never pay that for it.  It's good but not $60 good, IMO.   W12 I would but I have literally never seen a bottle (except at a bar) in the 8 years I've been seriously into bourbon. 

Just picked up a bottle of OF 1870 on clearance here in Idaho for $29.95!

Sweet! That’s my second favorite bottling after the 1920 out of the OF Whiskey Row series. I’d jump on a bottle or two at that price!

Added yet another bottle of OWA to the bunker.  We seem to be getting this fairly regularly in Ohio for the past several weeks.  Now where's the W12 or ETL?   

Nothing fancy but but good readily available whiskey. Haven’t had the WT rye in years and forgot how solid this is.

IMG_5234.JPG

• I like it 3

Today's purchases were another bottle of OWA for the bunker and a bottle of Old Fitz 9yr BIB. Glad this one was cheaper than the spring release. Either way, happy to have both and the hunt continues.

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Nothing fancy but but good readily available whiskey. Haven’t had the WT rye in years and forgot how solid this is.

IMG_5234.JPG

Staples first!

IMG_5234.thumb.JPG.417cc7e4a4ef8048ef4d65affa6b0fd5.JPG

For the record that lone pint IPA is incredible!!!!

16 hours ago, theranman said:

Added yet another bottle of OWA to the bunker.  We seem to be getting this fairly regularly in Ohio for the past several weeks.  Now where's the W12 or ETL?   

I’ve seem this too. It has been weird actually turning down OWA and WSR at prices of $22.99 and $25.99, but the bunker is full. Ohio had ETL a month or two ago, but haven’t seen any since. I’ve never seen W12 in Ohio, but hopefully it will come. ECBP has been pretty regular too. Just got another B518. Good juice. I’m glad Ohio has fixed their relationship with Buffalo Trace.

Henry McKenna 10yr. BIB.  I've heard this stuff is amazing and for $30, looking forward to tasting it!

• I like it 1

Henry McKenna 10yr. BIB.  I've heard this stuff is amazing and for $30, looking forward to tasting it!

It is a Single Barrel product so there will be variances, but I’ve never been disappointed, and some have been fantastic!

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

It is a Single Barrel product so there will be variances, but I’ve never been disappointed, and some have been fantastic!

Yep, that's what I figured.  Every review I've seen so far has been incredible.  I'm psyched!

Yes HMcK 10yr BIB is good but a lot of variation. For me a safer bet is store picks of EC, similar product at a similar age and close to same proof. I wish they’d go back to offering picks on HMcK.

Yes HMcK 10yr BIB is good but a lot of variation. For me a safer bet is store picks of EC, similar product at a similar age and close to same proof. I wish they’d go back to offering picks on HMcK.

For the record that lone pint IPA is incredible!!!!

With the exception of some hazy NEIPAs that are twice the price I think Yellow Rose SMASH IPA from Lone Pint is the best IPA I’ve had.

21 hours ago, elmossle said:

Today's purchases were another bottle of OWA for the bunker and a bottle of Old Fitz 9yr BIB. Glad this one was cheaper than the spring release. Either way, happy to have both and the hunt continues.

Old Fitz 9 year? I thought it was 11. 

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

11yr was the spring release. The fall release is a 9yr BIB. Thankful it is a little cheaper minus the two years.

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

8 minutes ago, elmossle said:

11yr was the spring release. The fall release is a 9yr BIB. Thankful it is a little cheaper minus the two years.

I didn't realize it was out yet.

I tried a media sample and I thought the 9 year was better than the 11yr.

Looking forward to trying to find one.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.