What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

The past week+ has been pretty good to me for bourbon surfin' (not so good on the budget though).  Add these to the slightly dusties from a few weeks ago and things have been real good.

The JBDC & OFor sib ps were impulse buys - $17 & $34 respectively was too hard to resist.

I said back in the Spring Pass thread that I'd grab a bottle of Redemption Wheated if it ever showed up on a shelf (probably only after Porky grew wings).  Well the rotund one apparently shed enough pounds and took flight, 'cause I actually found it in a couple locals.

I'm enjoying it and the 1792SW.

20180801_193538.jpg

I really enjoyed the JBDC, if I could get it here I'd be stocking up. 

• I like it 1

Wife asked me to pick up a bottle to take to a party tomorrow night.  Told her I knew just what to get.

RARE_BREED.jpg

The 375's were on sale for $14.99 while the 750 was $42.00.  Picked up one for the party and the other 3 are now stashed in my bar.  Bought the Ezra Brooks to make Bourbon Pig Candy for the party and I'm going to use the American Honey to make Lawrenceburg Lemonade.

Bought a DN 1843. I’m not a huge Maker’s or Larceny fan and I like this better than Weller SR so this was an easy purchase at $30

Go ahead, Do It!!!

But with shipping, it's so expensive.

Hey, I'm the one holding the gun, here.

Yea, but that's my gun; so that means you are holding it on yourself.

Oh...

So what do you think we should do?

Order it anyway!

Okay...

1934118050_lgold.jpg.0b93930e7f6ca5a7586846bf07197227.jpg

This is a repost from the missing posts episode, so for those interested, I ordered these from the Whiskey Exchange...

Not as cheap as MOM was, but successful.

• I like it 1

Found a couple WTRB 112. Since this is the last around me I snagged one for the bunker. 

Edited by Barrel Aged Buckeye

2 hours ago, Barrel Aged Buckeye said:

Found a couple WTRB 112. Since this is the last around me I snagged one for the bunker. 

I love understanding that tastes vary. Just gives me more confidence to buy what I like and not to worry about buying what someone else likes or what magazines or bloggers tell me I should like. E.g., I liked the 112 WTRB well enough but I LOVE the current 116. Good for you for landing the one you love. Cheers, mate!

• I like it 2

Scored an ECBP B518 last night at a shop near my house thanks to a tip I got online.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:10 PM, $helby said:

Actually this was my purchases a couple of weeks ago while on vacation in DC . The FRSiB is  OESF 11y 3 m.  Murray Hill’s are batch 1 and 9 only because I enjoyed batch 6 so much.  Turns out we like batch 9 even better. Triple Deuce was a whim just cause I’m into classic cars. Coopers Craft and  Hennessy Pure White were purchased by a friend while on a cruise and not readily available in the States.    I’m giving the HPW to a friend that loves Cognac.  Unfortunately, I open the CC and quickly learned how poorly it tastes.  It will be araound for quite awhile to use as a mixer for guests that are so inclined. May even use in sautéing mushrooms.   

3A76DEFE-74E4-4709-ACD0-5FC2BEFF6483.jpeg

@$helby, I'm thrilled to hear you like batch #9 of MHC even better than the earlier batches. This might have something to do with the fact that I put a little less of the 9 year old light whiskey into the blend. Now, that component is probably only 20% of the blend, whereas it had been about 28 to 29% previously. Thus, the majority of the blend is coming from 12 year old bourbon, with some 19 year old to give it a little more depth. I found that the whiskey wasn't quite as stable and had a tendency to fall apart (and strangely enough, even saponify) when ice was added to it, or when it was added to a cocktail, when it had a bit more of the light whisky component. In order to prevent this, I had to lessen that component. 

Also, I hope you like the MHC-Special Finish in Pineau des Charentes cask. It is one of my personal favorites. We've got another PC finish coming out this autumn, although it will be the last time I do a Pineau des Charentes cask finish before moving on to something else. 

At any rate, I hope this response doesn't come off as shameless self-promotion or advertisement- I certainly don't mean for it to- but nonetheless, I'm absolutely over the moon to see your 3 bottles of MHC! 

Cheers, and good imbibing,
Nancy

• I like it 3

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@$helby, I'm thrilled to hear you like batch #9 of MHC even better than the earlier batches. This might have something to do with the fact that I put a little less of the 9 year old light whiskey into the blend. Now, that component is probably only 20% of the blend, whereas it had been about 28 to 29% previously. Thus, the majority of the blend is coming from 12 year old bourbon, with some 19 year old to give it a little more depth. I found that the whiskey wasn't quite as stable and had a tendency to fall apart (and strangely enough, even saponify) when ice was added to it, or when it was added to a cocktail, when it had a bit more of the light whisky component. In order to prevent this, I had to lessen that component. 

Also, I hope you like the MHC-Special Finish in Pineau des Charentes cask. It is one of my personal favorites. We've got another PC finish coming out this autumn, although it will be the last time I do a Pineau des Charentes cask finish before moving on to something else. 

At any rate, I hope this response doesn't come off as shameless self-promotion or advertisement- I certainly don't mean for it to- but nonetheless, I'm absolutely over the moon to see your 3 bottles of MHC! 

Nancy

Well...I had to look up saponify! It explains that soapy taste I sometimes get.

• I like it 1

I caved and picked up JB Distiller's Cut.  It's excellent for a sub-$20 bottle.  If I didn't already have a case or two of HH6BiB then I would load up on this one considering the price. 

3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Nancy

Nope - we love hearing about stuff like this!

I am biased of course because I'm both a nerd, and, because you let me talk your ear off about all whiskey related things when we did that barrel pick at Magnus. And, you let us taste a bunch of stuff out of the barrel. And, because you are fount of knowledge.

• I like it 2

On 7/29/2018 at 11:20 PM, flahute said:

I bought a WTKS just so I could have the bottle. Rumors of KS switching bottle types to something more generic prompted me to make sure I had one of the old ones.

Good call.  I have a couple 6-cases of store picks but don't think I wouldn't be following your lead if I weren't already loaded up.  If those bottles go away it would be a shame.  But something tells me they could keep them around for occasional future special releases (nostalgia).  That would be a smart move if they did that.

• I like it 1

Four Roses PS 10Y 6M OESF.  $60.  Old neck tag.  A little leery of an older bottle still available at retail.  But, I like my 4R with some age so took a chance.  Need the gods of the cult to smile on this...

3657E136-0197-4B6E-AE39-69A94BC53784.jpeg

C0A1B347-EABF-4789-81A7-A401FE11A372.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Four Roses PS 10Y 6M OESF.  $60.  Old neck tag.  A little leery of an older bottle still available at retail.  But, I like my 4R with some age so took a chance.  Need the gods of the cult to smile on this...

3657E136-0197-4B6E-AE39-69A94BC53784.jpeg

C0A1B347-EABF-4789-81A7-A401FE11A372.jpeg

Not a member of the cult but I do tend to enjoy the minty F yeast.

• I like it 2

Very excited about today’s haul. I’ve never had a barrel select KC, but a 14 year old bourbon for $43.99 seems too good to be true. 

1FC7B478-667D-438E-B171-F9AF992AA4DD.jpeg

Stopped at a Liquor Barn in Louisville today to pick up a case of HHBIB. I figured it to be a required libation to take to Destin. Along with some MC for necessary bloody marys. 

Wholly shit batman!, it was priced at $14.99!! So I get on the Party Source website to check their price...$15.99, WTF! I haven't bought any in a couple years because I had stocked up, and now all hell breaks loose. I'm not happy, but it is still a great value.  And it was still cheaper than EWBIB, try to figure that out.

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

Stopped at a Liquor Barn in Louisville today to pick up a case of HHBIB. I figured it to be a required libation to take to Destin. Along with some MC for necessary bloody marys. 

Wholly shit batman!, it was priced at $14.99!! So I get on the Party Source website to check their price...$15.99, WTF! I haven't bought any in a couple years because I had stocked up, and now all hell breaks loose. I'm not happy, but it is still a great value.  And it was still cheaper than EWBIB, try to figure that out.

Interesting development.  Did you notice the price of the 6yr 90 proof version? 

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Interesting development.  Did you notice the price of the 6yr 90 proof version? 

I'm pretty sure it went up a corresponding amount. 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Nancy

Thanks for your comments Nancy. Straight Bourbounrs like when you share your knowledge with us.Wish I had the time to visit the distillery while in DC but my schedule was tight.  Next trip, I will be sure to visit.   

• I like it 1

Back from traveling the last two weeks in TX and MI. Went to NASA Liquor and Spec's in Houston, and all over MI, and found a bunch of bourbon, armagnac, some C&K Brandy store picks, and a Foursquare 2005 Rum for a buddy at work.

162221172_IMG_5763crop.thumb.jpg.8a0f29b83525129b341619b8b8abe5e7.jpg664469822_IMG_5752crop.thumb.jpg.b06c058e7a992c4d61c38fc2419e5785.jpg

Edited by silverc
  • I like it 1

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

NASA still had its 4R picks?

I was talking to the lady there, who was very nice, but I don't recall her name. She actually called her son and he brought some of them over from their house. I got an OBSV and OESV. Didn't expect that, but it was a very nice gesture. I wish I lived closer, as the store had a lot of nice stuff.

Booker's 2018-02. $48 OTD at Bevmo with $10 coupon.  Haven't tried it as I have a 2016-03 open at the moment but I've heard it's better than the 2018-01.  When I get down to the end of the old one, I'll open the new one and do a SBS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.