What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Store pick Russell's that was marked down.  Read a nice review and it was difficult to pass up for the price.

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

D has been a winner this year. 

Was there even a loser? Serious question. I've had D, H, and M, and they were all slightly different degrees of awesome.

33 minutes ago, Kane said:

Was there even a loser? Serious question. I've had D, H, and M, and they were all slightly different degrees of awesome.

Fair point. Even ‘shelfie’ RRSIB is above average to very good. 

I enjoy doing SBS w/ different warehouses.  This year D has been killer. MDS ‘18, Motor Supply ( a local pick here), beast masters Kentucky chew green. Ain’t no wrong answers. 

• I like it 1

Picked up something I was unaware of today, Jim Beam Repeal Batch. Looks to be the standard White Label non-chill filtered. Same price as the White Label, so I thought I’d give it a shot. 

3F7383E1-35AB-467B-962D-EB3E7A9B8A1B.jpeg

• I like it 2

knob.thumb.jpg.431a7ea2503b2d96e38d071f999a7bd2.jpg

How can one not buy 14 year old Knob Creek @ 38.99 !

Edited by Cranecreek
  • I like it 4

45 minutes ago, Cranecreek said:

It is pretty crazy, right, in this day and age?  In my market, it is closer to $45, but still.  14 year old, 120 proof Beam bourbon at $40-45 bucks is a veritable steal IMHO.  Let's hope this continues, but I am stocked up for now.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BDanner said:

Picked up something I was unaware of today, Jim Beam Repeal Batch. Looks to be the standard White Label non-chill filtered. Same price as the White Label, so I thought I’d give it a shot. 

Woa, Beam has been doing a lot of things right recently.

A friend did me a solid while on a work trip to Japan: Sent me pictures of the whiskey self at the local LS and brought back my 4 choices. 

IMG_20180822_204009.thumb.jpg.c801bb39bed6611376b599e668817394.jpg

Will probably do a SBS with the 8 and US standard WT101 in the next few days. 

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

A friend did me a solid while on a work trip to Japan: Sent me pictures of the whiskey self at the local LS and brought back my 4 choices. 

IMG_20180822_204009.thumb.jpg.c801bb39bed6611376b599e668817394.jpg

Will probably do a SBS with the 8 and US standard WT101 in the next few days. 

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on that WT SBS.  

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, BDanner said:

If Beam keeps putting out interesting low cost bourbon's I'll keep buying them, believe that this one is this years Distiller's Cut equivalent. 

On 8/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, Mako254 said:

Mail call. 

Lets see what the fuss is all about. 

62392382-1B7C-48D2-B481-89742DD2FD50.jpeg

If that's batch #1 I really enjoyed it (even have a backup bottle).  Curious what you think about it.

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

10 year OESK. 58.5%

081C7DD4-91ED-4C73-839D-A510993C9472.jpeg

I'm a little bit jealous.  A 10+ year Four Roses Private Selection is a winner in my book.  Even better that it's a K (only way it could be any better if it was the OBSK).

Joe,

Ky Owl was very pleasing. Early in the pour I got this rich earthy note on the nose and the pour got a little sweeter as it sat for a bit. Gave up a B517 for it and happy so far. 

I’ll get into the OESK this weekend. 10 yr 1 mos, 58% single barrel, barrel proof, NCF bourbon for less than $65 OTD? Sign me up. If this is a hit, I’ll buy 1 or 2 a month until they are gone. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, Cranecreek said:

I wonder how many stores pick a 14yo because it is 14yo. No judgement on this store as I don't know them but twice I have done KC picks where at least 1 sample is 14yo and the other samples seem to be the better whiskey, at least to me. So that is what we pick rather than being influenced by the age. Don't get me wrong as the other samples are still 10+ years old and so still a great deal considering the price.

4 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wonder how many stores pick a 14yo because it is 14yo. 

If it costs the store the same but they could conceivably charge more, it would make business sense to do so.

(Though per the pic above that store doesn't seem to be jacking the price up too much relatively speaking.)

3 minutes ago, dcbt said:

If it costs the store the same but they could conceivably charge more, it would make business sense to do so.

(Though per the pic above that store doesn't seem to be jacking the price up too much relatively speaking.)

Yes, it seems pretty typically priced but being 14yo might make the store believe it would move faster than a younger whiskey and allow them to recoup their cost more quickly. Ultimately you want to sell that barrel sooner rather than later!

18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wonder how many stores pick a 14yo because it is 14yo. No judgement on this store as I don't know them but twice I have done KC picks where at least 1 sample is 14yo and the other samples seem to be the better whiskey, at least to me. So that is what we pick rather than being influenced by the age. Don't get me wrong as the other samples are still 10+ years old and so still a great deal considering the price.

While we can agree that it is by no means conclusive that a 14 year old barrel will be "better" tasting than a 9-10 old year barrel, if nothing else, that 14 year old barrel should provide a markedly different bourbon experience.  That is why I pick up the 14 year old bottles when I can.  I don't shy away from oak, so I like the age.  The 9 year and up KC SB barrels are a dime a dozen, so I do place a bit more value in the older barrels (though I don't really see price increases to account for the age).  YMMV.

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

A store by me has done several KC picks in the last couple years. They told me that Beam made them agree to price it at the same price as their regular KCSB. I don’t know if that’s true, but I wasn’t complaining and it seemed credible since it’s against their own interest to charge less. Their barrels have ranged from 12-14 years. 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I had about an ounce out of it and first impression was = Bland.  I have to take into consideration new bottle syndrome, so will let it set for a while.  It's a great marketing tool being 14 year old, and like I said "how do you not want to try it" ?

I’ve participated in two KC barrel picks in the last six months, and we had two 14yo samples and one sample that was around 10yo for each pick. The 10yo was good, but we all liked at least one of the 14yo samples better, so both stores went with 14yo barrels. I thought one of them ended up being over-oaked after my first few pours out of one of the bottles that I brought home, but I must have been having a bad palate week because after trying it again a week later, I thought I was drinking nectar of the gods. Needless to say, I went back and picked up another bottle before they were all gone. These 14yo KC Single Barrel selections have sold very well in both stores, so there is definitely more demand for the older selections.

• I like it 2

After having a pour of Willett Rye last weekend, and enjoying it immensely, I stopped by one of my local stores yesterday and lo and behold there sat a bottle.  Reasonably priced ($43) so I brought it home.

willet-family-estate-bottled-rye.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.