What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

I had about an ounce out of it and first impression was = Bland.  I have to take into consideration new bottle syndrome, so will let it set for a while.  It's a great marketing tool being 14 year old, and like I said "how do you not want to try it" ?

Ive recently picked up several different 14s. Ive only opened 2 so far, and have say they are good but not great like some of the past picks Ive had. Very oaky, but to the point where the oak just takes over and leaves no complexity. And both bottles have been open awhile. Im hoping the other 14s are better. Ive been toying with the idea of mixing in some from a KCSB pick I have open that is much sweeter (dont know the age except that its over 9. Id guess its 10). I really feel from my experience that 13 yrs is the sweet spot for KCSB, tho every barrel is its own thing.

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

After having a pour of Willett Rye last weekend, and enjoying it immensely, I stopped by one of my local stores yesterday and lo and behold there sat a bottle.  Reasonably priced ($43) so I brought it home.

willet-family-estate-bottled-rye.jpg

I've never seen a WFE in the wild. I'm starting to think they belong to the snipe family. I never found one of them either.

A new RR store pick arrived recently at one of my regular LS hangouts.  I talked to the guy who made the pick and he said I'm gonna love it.  Hope so!

Russell's Reserve PS.jpg

• I like it 2

IMG_9154.JPG

Found a couple of new things to bring home. Looking forward to trying the store pick KC Rye.

• I like it 1

EAFB49BA-B8E8-404A-89C1-16DF87C01843.jpeg.75c2c001289d8de18898f77909d83c89.jpeg

I bought the 1 in the middle a few weeks ago. They had 1 left this week so I went back to get it today but it was gone. :mellow:

$63 for a 10 yr MGP CS SiB! Stupid me for waiting! The closest thing I could find was a Backbone Uncut for $50. It was a batched 5 yr old MGP at CS but I passed. 

My consolation purchases was a RY10 from the same barrel I already have that’s a winner and a CEHT SB. 

I bought a 1.75 of Ancient Age for $15 to prepare for having a bunch of guys over who will end up mixing whiskey cokes

On 8/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, BDanner said:

Picked up something I was unaware of today, Jim Beam Repeal Batch. Looks to be the standard White Label non-chill filtered. Same price as the White Label, so I thought I’d give it a shot. 

3F7383E1-35AB-467B-962D-EB3E7A9B8A1B.jpeg

Tried my first pour last night and was not overly impressed. I'll give it a couple more pours before I make my final judgement.

23 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I've never seen a WFE in the wild. I'm starting to think they belong to the snipe family. I never found one of them either.

I honestly didn't expect to find one but I was driving by the store anyway so I thought I would just stop and see what they had.  I was standing there talking to the owner and he asked if I was looking for anything specific and I happened to look at the counter "behind the counter" and saw it.  I said well I'm looking for a Willett Rye but that one is "behind the counter" so it's probably out of my price range.  He said he just keeps them back there since he doesn't get very many bottles so that keeps somebody from coming in and grabbing everything.  He then told me it was $44 so I of course snapped it up rather quickly.

• I like it 2

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

After having a pour of Willett Rye last weekend, and enjoying it immensely, I stopped by one of my local stores yesterday and lo and behold there sat a bottle.  Reasonably priced ($43) so I brought it home.

willet-family-estate-bottled-rye.jpg

I ran into my first bottle this past Fri. Is it worth the $55 tag that I see on it? I thought I would ask the crowd before pulling the trigger...

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

I ran into my first bottle this past Fri. Is it worth the $55 tag that I see on it? I thought I would ask the crowd before pulling the trigger...

Cant tell if thats the 3 or 4 yr. If its the 3 its definitely a pass at any price. 

Picked up a bottle of 5-year Willett Estate Reserve bourbon and 6-year Willett Estate Reserve Rye today. These should be nice with the holidays coming up 

• I like it 1

The bottle I got was the three.  I don't know the age of the pour I had at the restaurant, but it was stellar.

Also, I have got to stop "dropping by" Liquor Barn.  I did this afternoon and well  . . . 

Resized_20180825_162957_5204.jpg

They were $18 & $22 respectively so if I'm not really WOWED by them I'll just take them to tail gate parties.

On August 22, 2018 at 9:19 AM, BDanner said:

Picked up something I was unaware of today, Jim Beam Repeal Batch. Looks to be the standard White Label non-chill filtered. Same price as the White Label, so I thought I’d give it a shot. 

3F7383E1-35AB-467B-962D-EB3E7A9B8A1B.jpeg

I stopped in to say hello to the manager at one of my local stores. They just got this in. I remembered seeing this post, so I figured I'd give it a try too.  FWIW, Beam White is 80 proof. This one is 86 proof. Maybe it will make a difference. I've had one of those summer colds the last couple of days, so I'm not sure when I'm gonna try this. Who knows. Maybe tonight as a "head clearer". :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Joe I'm planning on uncapping mine when I get home from doing the PA for the local HS Girls soccer team tonight.  Maybe we can compare notes later.  As long as you don't look at my notes and cheat off me. LOL!

My two new additions. I cracked the top on the rye last night. Exceptionally rich and delicious. 

F3E1854D-B83C-4A30-B34B-E0496C922D37.jpeg

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I say pull the trigger!  I thought the 3 yr. was ok but overpriced at $40.  The 4 yr. is an order of magnitude better and worth the $55, IMO.  After trying it, I went back and bought two more.  That was the 126 proof.  Then I found a 107.2 proof and, it's just as good. 

• I like it 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:33 AM, Cranecreek said:

knob.thumb.jpg.431a7ea2503b2d96e38d071f999a7bd2.jpg

How can one not buy 14 year old Knob Creek @ 38.99 !

I help pick this one for a local store about 4 months ago, they are pretty much sisters. And if that barrel is anything like the one we pick it should be excellent. 

4FBB4C62-F2F4-405E-A4DB-9ECD8671A38F.thumb.jpeg.e1e99ed3de93cc02fea463f4f88bb482.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I help pick this one for a local store about 4 months ago, they are pretty much sisters. And if that barrel is anything like the one we pick it should be excellent. 

Looks like those two lived close to each other.  I have only had a sample out of my bottle.  Not over oaked at all, but it did seem a little murky and musty.  Definitely has the KC profile but not as bright and less sweet than the 9 year.  I'll visit it again soon and see if it tastes different after air and time. 

Was out of town and pulled into a parking lot to turn around and there was a liquor store there so I just had to run in.

$85 total (don’t find RHF under $120 here, WSR usually $40+)

52E04D12-528F-4EC2-92A8-D8DA8A2685D2.jpeg

• I like it 5

17 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Was out of town and pulled into a parking lot to turn around and there was a liquor store there so I just had to run in.

Good haul!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Sometimes you're good and sometimes you're lucky.  It's better to be lucky.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.