What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

It’s solid. No complaints. Every now and then you detect a little of the common DNA that produces Stagg. 

You’re reading my minds. It’s exactly what I think about the EH Taylor, it has those Stagg vibes, more than the Stagg Jr. IMHO. Enjoy and Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, foppa78 said:

Tonight I opened this Booker's 2017-04 Sip a while. So far Booker's is my favorite bourbon. 

JyZRbBW.jpg

So far it might be mine too and I had my first pour of it in 2003.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

So far it might be mine too and I had my first pour of it in 2003.

Cheers to you!

So far of Booker's I've had 2017-01 Tommy's batch, 2017-04 sip a while and 2018-01 Kathleen's batch. This sip a while is very good but that Tommy's batch was the best thing I've ever had. I wonder if bottles of that Tommy's batch are still out there. And just because I have a Jack Russell terrier that looks just like Booker's Jack Russell, I hope to someday find a bottle of Dot's batch 2015-02 but I imagine those are probably long gone from shelves.

• I like it 1

Opened a fresh (from the bunker) Blanton’s store pick today, because I was going through withdrawals after finishing a different stores pick last week. 

Space on the shelf means opening a new bottle that fits in the space :).

Good times!

2CFFF522-CED7-4220-B1E9-C0D60E4AE207.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

Finally met up with a very nice SBer and did a little horse trading. Decided to open up this EC pick and it’s really nice. Not over oaked as some of the recent ones I’ve had and not overly sweet. Love the variety these Barrel picks provide.

IMG_0009.JPG

Oh and $7.99/LB prime strips the EC should go nicely with it.

• I like it 2

After reading a few posts lately that mentioned AAA10yr, I decided to open one up tonight. While it's not an amazing bourbon, it's a damn fine everyday type of whiskey along the lines of a HH6 BIB. You really need to do the Kentucky chew and swirl it around a bit, otherwise you won't catch all the different flavors. It may only be 86 proof, but at 10yrs old there's more to it than what you initially may think there is. A nice long finish is a pleasant bonus. Still one of my favorite low cost pours, but unfortunately no longer available.

AAA.jpg

• I like it 4

Opened up an ECBP A118 tonight. This one brings back some of that "big" flavor of older bottlings. Nice blast of oak and brown sugar sweetness with a buttery feel. Finishes with a dose of spice as well. Glad I picked up a second bottle.

A nice pour to enjoy while the Blues beat the Blackhawks.

20181027_211002-784x1613.jpg

Opened this bottle in the wee hours of early morning to celebrate the Red Sox World Series win - the only team to win it all four (4) times in the 21st Century, BTW.  Another duckboat parade through the streets of Boston to celebrate a major sports Championship this week.  Getting boring?  NEVER!   ☺️

PVW20.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 14

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Opened this bottle in the wee hours of early morning to celebrate the Red Sox World Series win - the only team to win it all four (4) times in the 21st Century, BTW.  Another duckboat parade through the streets of Boston to celebrate a major sports Championship this week.  Getting boring?  NEVER!   ☺️

PVW20.jpg

A great way to celebrate, my friend.

• I like it 1

I purchased a Maker's Mark Holiday set last week. The included glasses turned out to be serviceable rocks glasses with a Maker's Mark logo that will disappear after a few trips through the dishwasher.   The whisky that I opened up today is the standard MM and it wasn't bad at  though I do believe it needs some air time. $24 for a 750ml and a couple of glasses isn't a bad deal.

Edited by Postal Grunt
brevity

Opened the latest Stagg Jr. release this evening. It was a great pour that I can't wait to have more of tomorrow.

17 hours ago, GeeTen said:

PVW20.jpg

Which is one less than they had by 1918, and we all know how the rest of the 20th century played out for them ?

Edited by uncork_it_already

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

PVW20.jpg

I only have 2 months to find one of these before Clemson wins their 2nd title in 3 years. B)

On 10/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, foppa78 said:

Cheers to you!

So far of Booker's I've had 2017-01 Tommy's batch, 2017-04 sip a while and 2018-01 Kathleen's batch. This sip a while is very good but that Tommy's batch was the best thing I've ever had. I wonder if bottles of that Tommy's batch are still out there. And just because I have a Jack Russell terrier that looks just like Booker's Jack Russell, I hope to someday find a bottle of Dot's batch 2015-02 but I imagine those are probably long gone from shelves.

You never know. Hit the mom and pop stores in out of the way places. Look for stores who may not target people looking to spend $50 +/ fifth. I’ve seen older Booker’s than that on shelves. 

11 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Which is one less than they had by 1918, and we all know how the rest of the 20th century played out for them ?

We have been in the dark ages. The Red Sox have ended the 630 day championship parade drought we have been suffering through. And we may have to endure another 4 months before we can have another one. The Horror! The Horror!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Mako254 said:

You never know. Hit the mom and pop stores in out of the way places. Look for stores who may not target people looking to spend $50 +/ fifth. I’ve seen older Booker’s than that on shelves. 

On Saturday I found the Tommy's Batch that I was looking for. I'm excited to have it. I hope it tastes as good as the bottle at the bar that I've has a few pours of.

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, GeeTen said:

PVW20.jpg

Gee congrats on another Championship.

( I just want to look at the picture more)

On 10/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, foppa78 said:

Cheers to you!

Do you have a list of ones you are looking for?  I know a LS with a pretty good backlog of Bookers, and still a fair price, iirc.

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, GeeTen said:

PVW20.jpg

Congrats on a great season from this Astros fan.  Your boys really kicked some ass in the postseason.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.