What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Do you have a list of ones you are looking for?  I know a LS with a pretty good backlog of Bookers, and still a fair price, iirc.

Thanks. I'll message you soon.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, Kepler said:

Opened a fresh bottle of EC Small Batch NAS.  I'd say this stuff just keeps getting younger.

Not good......not good. I haven't had to find out for myself because I have a huge stash of two private barrels I was a part of. Looks like I don't need to wade in for the standard product.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Not good......not good. I haven't had to find out for myself because I have a huge stash of two private barrels I was a part of. Looks like I don't need to wade in for the standard product.

I picked up a 375 about a month ago and found it to be pretty solid still, it certainly isn't as Oak driven as the old 12 year bottles and most (not all) of the private picks are better, but for the price it still seems to be, to me, an above average bourbon. 

• I like it 1

IMG_5553.JPG

Opened the rickhouse F, floor 4 RRSB pick. This one has a lot of spice and a long finish I normally don’t get. Much more of what I consider a classic Turkey style compared to the WTKS pick I have opened and compared it to. I think I’ll need backups.

Picked up a couple new ones today. Of the 2, I definitely prefer the 1792 High Rye. Th Pinhook tasted like it needed some more time in the barrel.

IMG_0021.jpg

On 10/31/2018 at 11:53 PM, flahute said:

My recent private store pick purchases have been very good, so at least those are dependable.  Those are basically equivalent to the old EC12 small batch that you used to be able to find on any liquor store shelf for $30 or less.

Opened up a bottle a grabbed a couple weex ago after a stint with the latest VBT, which I will post in few minutes. 

The one to which I refer here is Yellowstone Limited, 2018 Edition (finished in charred wine casks).    It was interesting, and pretty well-done; but, not strictly in my wheelhouse. 

For the cheddar I exchanged for it, I'd never have done it had I tasted it first.    Is it interesting?   Yes.   Just not my cup of tea (Bourbon?). 

I hope others aren't dissuaded from seeking out a taste based upon this post.   It may well be a winner for many; as I said it is well-done.

Opened up a bottle a grabbed a couple weex ago after a stint with the latest VBT, which I will post in few minutes. 
The one to which I refer here is Yellowstone Limited, 2018 Edition (finished in charred wine casks).    It was interesting, and pretty well-done; but, not strictly in my wheelhouse. 
For the cheddar I exchanged for it, I'd never have done it had I tasted it first.    Is it interesting?   Yes.   Just not my cup of tea (Bourbon?). 
I hope others aren't dissuaded from seeking out a taste based upon this post.   It may well be a winner for many; as I said it is well-done.

I really liked the 2017, and brought it to the gazebo at the GN during KBF for others to try. I even bought another bottle. The 2018 just started showing up here from what I’ve heard, but I haven’t seen a bottle yet. I’m sure I’ll buy at least one bottle of the 2018, but I’ll try it before deciding to buy a back up.

Another soldier is chosen to join the difficult choice battle of what should I pour tonight. 

CFD64A31-B905-4874-B8FF-54F30D43F637.jpeg

• I like it 3

Wife had my whiskey cabinet blocked by Thanksgiving decorations, requiring a trip to the bunker for... OGD 114  The last bottle I owned must have had a bad cork, as it was flat and not enjoyable. Sure glad I gave it another chance.

• I like it 2

Opened last night. My buddy Dave at Rarebird101 picked a barrel and I was the first to review it. (IG @bryant_on_bourbon) 

12BD17F9-4943-484B-BAF4-0C1115FA4012.jpeg

• I like it 2

Opened an old bottle of EC Single barrel from Westport Whiskey & Wine in Louisville. I purchased this bottle back in '14, and it just so happened to be a 14 yr old barrel they select back then as well. It is really good and you most certainly can get the oak on it. Nice hints of vanilla as well. Glad I went with an older bottle from the bunker today.

• I like it 1

Opened last night. My buddy Dave at Rarebird101 picked a barrel and I was the first to review it. (IG @bryant_on_bourbon) 

12BD17F9-4943-484B-BAF4-0C1115FA4012.thumb.jpeg.1953f987bc77322b9782bb5a5eecf078.jpeg

Love what Rarebird is doing, very cool to try a pick he was part of.

BTW I like your glassware, simple but good for nosing and tasting whiskey meat.

37 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Love what Rarebird is doing, very cool to try a pick he was part of.

Spey dram glass is my favorite for 1 oz or less. Kinda nestles into my hand. 

Camp Nelson is unmistakably Turkey but it is definitely the wild child of the bunch. 

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I'd like some whiskey meat, please - prefer it served rare, with just a touch of kosher salt . . . . . . .  ☺️

Nice glass, too.

Finally decided on this one to be the next bottle to reside in the Decanter of The Good Word. Will enjoy a glass as well to celebrate the end of a good weekend. 

1EDB4240-439D-4858-BADF-54AAC480DE39.jpeg

• I like it 1

Opened my 2nd ECBP; the C917. This is sooo much better than the B517 to me. Reminds me of an OESK 4RSiB but a touch less spice and a great tobacco finish. The B517 was a little too oaky and chocolatey for me.

25 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Opened my 2nd ECBP; the C917. This is sooo much better than the B517 to me. Reminds me of an OESK 4RSiB but a touch less spice and a great tobacco finish. The B517 was a little too oaky and chocolatey for me.

But Whiskey Advocate said B517 was the best...  Actually I totally agree with your comment.  I got C917 first then heard about the WA ruling and was super excited to find some B517.  I was a little let down by it, to say the least.  It's not bad, it just doesn't suit my palate.  I have a bottle of C917 open now and am loving it.  I also have a bottle of C916 (136 proof) open and it is even better, IMO.  Just explodes with flavor on the palate.  Yes, it's hot, but not in a way that overpowers the flavors. 

Yeah, I know.

Im about a year late to the party on this, but I really did just open it.

The cherry flavor is muted compared to 1910 & 1920.   It’s there, but there’s a strong caramel presence in front that takes the lead. 

Wow. 

64416F0C-C96F-4F64-93F5-0372305060F3.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.