What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, 0895 said:

Yeah, I know.

Im about a year late to the party on this, but I really did just open it.

The cherry flavor is muted compared to 1910 & 1920.   It’s there, but there’s a strong caramel presence in front that takes the lead. 

Wow. 

64416F0C-C96F-4F64-93F5-0372305060F3.jpeg

I'm right behind you. I've had my bottle for about that long and I'm going to open it soon after giving so much thought to 1910 and 1920 lately.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:17 PM, Mako254 said:

Opened last night. My buddy Dave at Rarebird101 picked a barrel and I was the first to review it. (IG @bryant_on_bourbon) 

12BD17F9-4943-484B-BAF4-0C1115FA4012.jpeg

That label is the epitome of clever.  Cheesy-gold-foil-inspired. This bottle wins best packaging of the year award, hands down.  Well done, whoever designed that.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

That label is the epitome of clever.  Cheesy-gold-foil-inspired. This bottle wins best packaging of the year award, hands down.  Well done, whoever designed that.

Thanks. I had the idea and my buddy Ryan worked it open. Rarebird101 ran the show. We just helped. 

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Opened a Russell’s Reserve Pick from a store that has sadly closed. IMG_0119.jpg

That place had nice store picks, yes sad that it closed.  Glad I still have a few picks in the bunker

• I like it 1

I've been on a bit of a Turkey kick lately (Austin Nichols 8yr 101, Tradition, PS WTKS, RR10, 13yr) but for some reason didn't have a standard 101 open. Rectified that this afternoon and am once again amazed at how good this $20 bottle of bourbon is! The GBS boys were kind enough to let me tag along for their WT barrel pick this September, and Eddie said they're using some 9yr whiskey along with the usual 6-8 yr barrels for the 101. Whatever they're doing, a guy could certainly live on this bourbon exclusively and not be disappointed (IMHO)

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I've been on a bit of a Turkey kick lately (Austin Nichols 8yr 101, Tradition, PS WTKS, RR10, 13yr) but for some reason didn't have a standard 101 open. Rectified that this afternoon and am once again amazed at how good this $20 bottle of bourbon is! The GBS boys were kind enough to let me tag along for their WT barrel pick this September, and Eddie said they're using some 9yr whiskey along with the usual 6-8 yr barrels for the 101. Whatever they're doing, a guy could certainly live on this bourbon exclusively and not be disappointed (IMHO)

Yes. I recently heard Bruce Russell mention that there is a fair bit of 9 and 10 year old juice in the the current 101 due to Longbranch taking a lot of 8 year old stock. 

101 is my go to when I am in a bar with a decent whiskey list with over inflated prices. 

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Full stop, true in 2001 and true today. 

It's funny, I used to drink 101 purely to get drunk in college, my friends would rue it being my round to buy because they were getting 101 and it was going to burn. None of them have have gone down our whiskey path and when I order a 101 neat or with one cube nowadays they look at me like I am inviting death or planning a night of trouble I am too hold to have. But no, it's just good stuff.

after a week of getting kicked in the balls repeatedly, I opened this to share with a good friend...

enhance

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

after a week of getting kicked in the balls repeatedly, I opened this to share with a good friend...

An ENTIRE WEEK?   What the Hell do you do for a living? (Assuming being kicked there repeatedly isn't an avocation...)

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

An ENTIRE WEEK?   What the Hell do you do for a living? (Assuming being kicked there repeatedly isn't an avocation...)

The stars and planets aligned and i suppose it was my time to be in their crosshairs (at work and everywhere else). Thankful for having a good friend with a smoker that was fired up yesterday, a good bourbon to enjoy, and Monday off.

11 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

For those of us that ain’t retired yet, it do tend to happen. Sometimes more often than we  care to think about, or admit to. As an example, where I work, we oft times refer to Wednesdays as “dry hump day” rather than hump day. :huh: Just sayin’. Nothing untoward intended Rich.  

Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For those of us that ain’t retired yet, it do tend to happen. Sometimes more often than we  care to think about, or admit to. As an example, where I work, we oft times refer to Wednesdays as “dry hump day” rather than hump day. :huh: Just sayin’. Nothing untoward intended Rich.  

Joe

Hey, as a very young gentleman (here I use the term VERY loosely) I actually enjoyed a couple of 'dry humps', as they were my only option with the particular lady at that time.   Thankfully things have progressed beyond those halcyon days.

• I like it 1

I had planned on opening this bottle today and doing a sbs of 2014-2018 SmBLE’s.

Instead, I’ve been battling a nasty cold & sinus infection this week.

Nothing is tasting or smelling right, but I opened this anyway, because it’s been sitting on the table looking at me all week. 

Although I cant smell it, the taste is very 4R familiar. 

I can taste the rye powering through. 

This is probably a wasted pour, but my throat feels better anyway.  :)

Thanks friend for helping me get it. 

You are too kind!

20C40205-6B63-414E-9CEF-E64F98218EE5.jpeg

• I like it 3

Not drinking them today, but needed wife help to set up my blind so cracked the bottles now. More info on my plan will be coming. 

BF76182F-54E1-4D7A-AFA1-2FF2A4551689.jpeg

• I like it 8

17 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Not drinking them today, but needed wife help to set up my blind so cracked the bottles now. More info on my plan will be coming. 

yes, whens the blind test Bob?

On 11/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

This looks like a lot of fun.  I have been fortunate enough to try all ten recipes but never in one tasting.  

?

On 11/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, Vosgar said:

My recent Turkey bottles have focused on Rare Breed and WTKS.  It has probably been a year or two since I have bought a bottle of WT101.  I recall having a pour of WT101 in a bar back in the spring while waiting on friends and remarking how the flavor was awesome and it seemed better than last time I had it. 

So, after reading your comments in this thread and being the impressionable young man I am, I went out today and picked up a new bottle.  My first impression was how much darker the color is in the bottle than I recalled.  I compared it to a bottle of ECBP when I got home and the color was pretty close.  My first pour has been excellent.  It is a little sweeter on the palate than I recall and has a relatively long spicy finish with a little hint of caramel, all of which I enjoy.  It has a little thicker oily mouthfeel than I recall from more recent bottles.  I would compare it to Knob Creek and it may even be slightly better.  I guess I will need another pour tonight and then some other time to perform a better assessment. ?

Edited by mbroo5880i

Opened a Russell’s Reserve Pick from a store that has sadly closed. IMG_0119.thumb.jpg.86240776367f99a08c25b7dc5ca21a3a.jpg

Literally just opened this one tonight. Great pour.

Opened the bottle on the left tonight to compare a couple of recent well aged KC SiB picks, both of these are great, the bottle on the right from Bayway is right on the edge of my Oak tolerance. The other pour feels a bit more lively though there is definitely a healthy dollop of oak to go along with some more baking spices but more in the nutmeg end of the spectrum than cinnamon. 

y4mbCYuXi9x-H6rWSyTU4wrrvYZM5BFZCX5oZq5d

• I like it 2

On 11/24/2018 at 8:10 AM, Guss West said:

Nice!

This is on my bucket list! 

When's the party, Bob?! 

On 11/24/2018 at 11:58 AM, Dabbings said:

That is quite an opening 

10?, every recipe?

Awesome!

On 11/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

yes, whens the blind test Bob?

So it's not so much a single blind tasting, but a full immersion.  Here is the plan: 13 bottles opened.  1 of each of the 10 recipes.  Then one additional OESK and one additional OBSF for control bottles.  Regular Single Barrel to round it out.  Because why not.

First thing I did was pour off a 100 ml sample of everything.  It was a bear getting all 10 recipes and I would like the option of being able to do another full tasting of all 10 in the future.  Next the wife poured off a second 100 ml sample of each and re-labeled them so I do not know what is what.  Finally she used a deck of playing cards and covered up the recipe label on the 10 PS bottles.  All I have to reference each with is the card. 7 hearts, 4 diamonds etc . . .  The extra E and B bottles are left intact and so is the single barrel.  

My goals are to keep some notes on each to learn about what recipe I like best, but also want to see how I do at the following:  1 - Can I correctly group the B bottles from the E bottles?  2 - Can I correctly identify the blind OESK and OBSF bottles using the non blind control bottle to help?   3 -  Halfway through I will open the blind samples my wife prepared.  Can I correctly match all 10 recipes with two blind sets?  I am sure the answers to the above will be a resounding no, but it's gonna be a good time trying!  Depending on how everything else goes some blending may have to happen towards the end.  Will probably get started later this week and will post in the What Bourbon are you Enjoying Thread as I go.  Cult has gotta let me in now right? 

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

So it's not so much a single blind tasting, but a full immersion.  Here is the plan: 13 bottles opened.  1 of each of the 10 recipes.  Then one additional OESK and one additional OBSF for control bottles.  Regular Single Barrel to round it out.  Because why not.

First thing I did was pour off a 100 ml sample of everything.  It was a bear getting all 10 recipes and I would like the option of being able to do another full tasting of all 10 in the future.  Next the wife poured off a second 100 ml sample of each and re-labeled them so I do not know what is what.  Finally she used a deck of playing cards and covered up the recipe label on the 10 PS bottles.  All I have to reference each with is the card. 7 hearts, 4 diamonds etc . . .  The extra E and B bottles are left intact and so is the single barrel.  

My goals are to keep some notes on each to learn about what recipe I like best, but also want to see how I do at the following:  1 - Can I correctly group the B bottles from the E bottles?  2 - Can I correctly identify the blind OESK and OBSF bottles using the non blind control bottle to help?   3 -  Halfway through I will open the blind samples my wife prepared.  Can I correctly match all 10 recipes with two blind sets?  I am sure the answers to the above will be a resounding no, but it's gonna be a good time trying!  Depending on how everything else goes some blending may have to happen towards the end.  Will probably get started later this week and will post in the What Bourbon are you Enjoying Thread as I go.  Cult has gotta let me in now right? 

I like your style.  A lot!

As someone who's run the gauntlet, I can tell you not to be surprised if your "control bottles" fail you.  That being said, OESK tends to be fairly consistent from bottle to bottle, but that's not saying a lot.

Also, don't be surprised if you find yourself drunk as hell after a little bit.

I eagerly await your results --my suggestion would be to post them in the 4R thread, so they are easy to find and reference in the future.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.