What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, gurgalunas said:

I've got a bottle of that White Dog I keep for newbies to try.  It's not there to drink, but to illustrate the flavors that are the base of the spirit.  From there, we can compare other bottles with varying age and understand the affect time has on bourbon.  It also highlights the flavor of youth in whiskey, which becomes easier to identify in other young spirits.  

This is all true.  It is a learning experience.  I was surprised how some notes reminded me of Scotch.  My take way is the profound effect of new charred oak.  Thank God for barrels.

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I remember a BT tour where Freddie had us pour a little white dog on our hands and rub them together.  It smelled like bread.  

I read in a book, doing this with good aged bourbon will smell like apples.

• I like it 1

17104.jpeg

Opened these 10 bottles yesterday and poured 78 samples from each for a Loch & K(e)y Society 2018 PVW/BTAC tasting at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.  Of course, there may have been some spillage and quality control sampling along the way, but I'm not inclined to discuss such matters at this time.   ☺️

And yes, I know that Weller CYPB is NOT in the collection, but we figured that palates needed a clearing vessel after the WLW was served.  But a great time was had by all!

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 15

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

17104.jpeg

Opened these 10 bottles yesterday and poured 78 samples from each for a Loch & K(e)y Society 2018 PVW/BTAC tasting at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.  Of course, there may have been some spillage and quality control sampling along the way, but I'm not inclined to discuss such matters at this time.   ☺️

And yes, I know that Weller CYPB is NOT in the collection, but we figured that palates needed a clearing vessel after the WLW was served.  But a great time was had by all!

So which one was the best in your opinion? I'm surprised there was as much left in each bottle after that many pours. More for you I guess!

Tonight is opened some Maker's Mark 46 Private Selection from Julio's got the evening started. I quickly followed that one up with opening another Loch & K(e)y barrel pick of Blanton's! The Blanton's was far and away the better pour of the evening. While I'm not a fan of Maker's, I thought it was really good. However, the Blanton's is just that special of a pour. Cheers everyone!

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

17104.jpeg

Has anyone seen the ER17? I haven’t seen 1 bottle yet on any social media outlet, SB.com or in person. 

1 minute ago, KyleCBreese said:

Has anyone seen the ER17? I haven’t seen 1 bottle yet on any social media outlet, SB.com or in person. 

It will take me a few months to get it muled up here from FL, but I get EXTREMELY lucky to land a bottle this year. I am just hoping it is a '18 version and not '17 since I have not laid eyes on it yet. It helps to have friends willing to help in the fall hunting season. Once I have it in my possession, I will make sure I post a picture. I'm interested to see how it compares to the '13 I have. The 101 proof should be noticeable.

As for allocation up here in the Northeast. I did not see any listed for the state of NH so I do not think any made it here in state. I was told that only 3 bottles made it to MA and 2 of those bottles were skimmed off the top by the distributor. Or at least that is what the rumor mill is sending out.

17104.thumb.jpeg.4c0ff46d60105715d5b1289fd4554aa4.jpeg

Opened these 10 bottles yesterday and poured 78 samples from each for a Loch & K(e)y Society 2018 PVW/BTAC tasting at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.  Of course, there may have been some spillage and quality control sampling along the way, but I'm not inclined to discuss such matters at this time.   [emoji5]

GenTen is a boss! I guess I’d have a grin like that too if I had that lineup in front of me for “QC” purposes.

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

17104.jpeg

I want to be Gee when I grow up. And Harry.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

1 hour ago, elmossle said:

The 101 proof should be noticeable.

Oh!

I tried it!  Forgot to post. 

The bar across the street from Old Forester in Louisville had it a couple weeks ago. 

I paid a stupid price for 3 oz (some special where a double pour was only $2 more than a single), but I came to a realization that it may be the only chance to try this years, and thus justified it in my head. 

Anyway, I’ve only ever tried ER17 from 2012 & 2016 prior to this. 

The 2012 was very nice, (2016 kinda meh) and the 2018 brought back happy memories of the ‘12, but amped up a bit with the higher proof.   I describe the ‘18 as normal ER profile (think cherries and oak) taken to the next level.   It wasn’t anything mind blowing, but it was very understated and quietly elegant.   I personally believe the extra proof helps this whiskey a lot.  For whatever its worth, I could NOT stop smelling the empty glass after it was gone. I think I got more out of smelling the glass, than the bourbon itself.

She’s a lovely lady, and I enjoyed our dance.

BF3888D7-141E-4120-89EC-F4F3E40B0B84.jpeg

C046A864-5E73-480F-ABF7-BABD634C9D72.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 5

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I want to be Gee when I grow up. And Harry.

Ha - and I've wanted to be Harry for a loooong time!   ☺️

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Ha - and I've wanted to be Harry for a loooong time!   ☺️

The only viable solution is that I need to hang out with the both of you and drink bourbon.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

And the 2018 VWFRR14 was also missing from the tasting lineup.  I know at least one (1) bottle showed up in Massachusetts, but it was gone before I was personally able to lay eyes on it, let alone hands.  What a bummer . . . . . . . . .  boo hoo!   

Edited by GeeTen
Crying emoji no workee.

7 hours ago, elmossle said:

So which one was the best in your opinion? I'm surprised there was as much left in each bottle after that many pours. More for you I guess!

I was just too busy trying to get fair pours out to the animals in the seats that I didn't have a chance to take notes or critically evaluate the whiskeys.  But that's what the "left-overs" in the bottles will be used for - a nice, quiet leisurely tasting at a later date.  Hmmm, participation very limited to the "worker bees", but ideas abound!?!   

Edited by GeeTen
"Starry eyes" emoji no workee!
  • I like it 1

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  100 proof, NCF.  I'd heard a lot of good things about it so, when I saw it for $16 at TW, I got two.  Opened it last night and, I have to say, I was not impressed.  Nose: mostly alcohol with a bit of peanut.  Palate like the nose.  Followed with a pour of OE7 101 which blew it away.  I hope it opens up or it will our cocktail bottle here at the Smith residence...

What do you guys think of it?

28 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  100 proof, NCF.  I'd heard a lot of good things about it so, when I saw it for $16 at TW, I got two.  Opened it last night and, I have to say, I was not impressed.  Nose: mostly alcohol with a bit of peanut.  Palate like the nose.  Followed with a pour of OE7 101 which blew it away.  I hope it opens up or it will our cocktail bottle here at the Smith residence...

I like it a lot for what it is. A sub $20 bourbon with a good mouthfeel and 100 proof. It’s not a daily drinker for me but sometimes it scratches my JB itch and lets me extend the life of my KCSiBs. I like it during the holidays in eggnog and I’m going to try it in a spiced hot chocolate recipe I saw recently. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I go the other way when comparing JB Distiller's Cut and OE7 101. To me JBDC, VOBBIB, 4RYL, HHBIB (rip), EWBIB, and WT101 are sub $20 bottles that I'm always happy to pour. I like the OE101, but it just doesn't hit my palate like the others. I get more heat than pleasing flavor. 

I can confirm the DC makes a great cocktail. 

• I like it 1

I love it, but I also find the Beam Nuttiness to be a positive note in my whiskey. 

My experience mirrors yours.  I gave my bottle, missing one pour, to @Postal Grunt.  Too much stuff in the cabinet I'll enjoy to waste time on one I don't care for...

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I love it, but I also find the Beam Nuttiness to be a positive note in my whiskey. 

As do I, Kev. 

In fact the only JB expression I don't care for neat is JB White label.    I can drink it; but, don't do so very often.   

Anything from that mashbill with more proof, and especially with a little more age, tastes fine to me.   That peanutty note I find is moderated, and pleasing to my palate in KC, KCSB, Booker's, JB Black, JB BIB, JB Distiller's Cut, etc.

• I like it 3

Opened a bottle of BT Single Barrel this evening. It was good but nothing fantastic. I am hoping some air time will help open it up a little more.

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

I like it, but I will say two things.

You have to enjoy the Beam profile.

If I drink a sweeter bourbon such as VOB before, the JBDC tastes all wrong.

10 hours ago, fosmith said:

It's kind of an OK bottle but it isn't the JV version of Knob Creek, an "I don't take a pour every week" whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.