What Bourbon Bottles(s) did you open today? Fall 2018

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Booker's 2015-01, "Big Man, Small Batch", the first of the named batches.  128.7 proof. 7 yrs., 2 mo., 16 days.  Found this as a dusty a year or two and, since my bottle of "Backyard BBQ" was gone, I thought this would satisfy my Booker's craving when nothing else open would do.  Nose was a bit restrained at first but after 20 minutes opened up to oak and caramel.  On the palate, really nice balance and mouth feel.  Lots going on but no flavor outshone the others.  Little heat considering the proof, especially compared to the EC C917 that preceded it.  Booker's was my first barrel proofer and time has not dimmed my love for it even after having had many others.  

big man small batch.jpg

Edited by fosmith
typo
  • I like it 3

On 11/26/2018 at 3:10 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Cult has gotta let me in now right? 

You are SO in. Well done.

• I like it 1

On 11/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, 0895 said:

I like your style.  A lot!

As someone who's run the gauntlet, I can tell you not to be surprised if your "control bottles" fail you.  That being said, OESK tends to be fairly consistent from bottle to bottle, but that's not saying a lot.

Also, don't be surprised if you find yourself drunk as hell after a little bit.

I eagerly await your results --my suggestion would be to post them in the 4R thread, so they are easy to find and reference in the future.

That’s a great idea to post in the 4R thread! Thanks!  I thought about creating one for the tasting but ultimately decided it would create too much pressure to update it often.  

Yeah ah good point on the drunkenness. I don’t think I am going to do all 10 at once. Work in batches of 3-4 and take notes/keep score as I. 

Here's an odd bottle to open - BT mash bill #1 White Dog.

I've had it around ten years.  Curiosity finally got the better of me.  I've never had white dog before, and I'm organizing the bunker.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of it.  I can't say I like it, or hate it.

I was thinking maybe mix with lemonade.  Are there any good suggestions for cocktails?

My first bottle of High West's Prairied Bourbon. Not impressed. This is my third bottle from High West (the first two were Double Rye and Campfire) and it is definitely a distant third in my rankings. I'm hoping it works well in Old Fashioneds.

32 minutes ago, BDanner said:

My first bottle of High West's Prairied Bourbon. Not impressed. This is my third bottle from High West (the first two were Double Rye and Campfire) and it is definitely a distant third in my rankings. I'm hoping it works well in Old Fashioneds.

The old "American Prarie Reserve" was a nice pour but I only pick up the current one if it's store selection with an interesting finish. 

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The old "American Prarie Reserve" was a nice pour but I only pick up the current one if it's store selection with an interesting finish. 

In NC, there are no finished store selections available at our ABC's. There is a brewery/bar near me that just got in the only finished HWAPB (ex peated scotch casks) in the state. I'm looking forward to trying a pour there. 

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

Opened a WT Rare Breed 01-99 and got my first WT cork break. I couldn't be more proud. 

Today is the day you truly learned to fly!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Opened a WT Rare Breed 01-99 and got my first WT cork break. I couldn't be more proud. 

I can’t get through a liter of WTR without breaking the cork. I think my coming of age will be when I finish 1 without breaking it. 

• I like it 1

Opened my bottle of Stagg Jr batch 10. Very nice nose and taste. Possibly the easiest SJR to sip on so far (and this is the first pour), and seems to be a good cross between batch 8 and 9. Not as cherry forward as 8, and has some of the dark fruits I notice in 9.  

I have to say I don't really care for BT white dog.  I couldn't quite articulate it at first.  There is this strong cooked grain taste that I associate with cheap blended Scotch - not my thing.

Opened regular MM tonight.  That is in my wheelhouse.

Yes, I have collector mentality. 

Yes, I am a completionist.

Yes, I do love me some “Old Fo”

Yes, I did get 8hrs. of overtime pay for thanksgiving on today’s check. 

(The 1910 is already open, btw)

E74ED57F-0799-49CA-BC6F-E78BBBD00ABD.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

Opened up a W12 to toast the last full day of College Football and to celebrate a Big 12 Championship for my Sooners. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up a W12 to toast the last full day of College Football and to celebrate a Big 12 Championship for my Sooners. 

Cheers

Sooners won. My Buckeyes won. I don't think either of us is jumping Georgia based on how tightly they played Alabama. You guys have a shot though.

Congrats on another Big10 Championship. I think you are right about either of us jumping Georgia. 

Between The Buckeyes & Sooners a coin flip between the two teams. 

Would be an interesting game between the two. 

Cheers 

8 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Congrats on another Big10 Championship. I think you are right about either of us jumping Georgia. 

Between The Buckeyes & Sooners a coin flip between the two teams. 

Would be an interesting game between the two. 

Cheers 

Both CBS and SI.com are projecting Oklahoma to be in the playoff so we will see!

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Both CBS and SI.com are projecting Oklahoma to be in the playoff so we will see

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

ESPN's metrics shows OSU. 

Like you said, we will see. 

Good luck to you & your team. 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Oops, double quote. Sorry

On 11/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, PaulO said:

I have to say I don't really care for BT white dog.  I couldn't quite articulate it at first.  There is this strong cooked grain taste that I associate with cheap blended Scotch - not my thing.

I've got a bottle of that White Dog I keep for newbies to try.  It's not there to drink, but to illustrate the flavors that are the base of the spirit.  From there, we can compare other bottles with varying age and understand the affect time has on bourbon.  It also highlights the flavor of youth in whiskey, which becomes easier to identify in other young spirits.  

• I like it 5

New make is an excellent teaching/learning tool.  I do the same, start each session with a sip of white dog.  

Wish I could get more SMSW new make. 

20 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

I like how you think.  Me too!  HWMND for me. Go OU

WIN_20181202_201606.JPG

• I like it 2

On 11/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, PaulO said:

I remember a BT tour where Freddie had us pour a little white dog on our hands and rub them together.  It smelled like bread.  

• I like it 2

Today's grand opening pour was an Old Ezra 7 101 proof. I'm hoping that it gets more interesting after some "air time" but for right now, WT101 beats it easily for flavor and a lower cost. I admit to buying HH products regularly so I'll give this HH sourced liquor another try next week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.