What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barrell batch 11 while grilling some bourbon glazed salmon. Quite possibly my favorite open bottle. 

• I like it 1

I’m diving into a sample of Old Bardstown BIB from a fellow SB’er. Loads of cinnamon and waves of caramel tonight.

Got a cold or something goin on so got some EWBIB to sip on.  Not bad but Id say its not a great substitute for HHBIB. Hoping the HH green label is a little closer. May call out sick tomorrow and get across the border for a bottle. 

Barrell batch 11 while grilling some bourbon glazed salmon. Quite possibly my favorite open bottle. 

That is definitely a good batch. I’ve finished one, but fortunately I still have one in the bunker.

Had a long day out with my brother today to belatedly celebrate his 40th, stopped at Widow Jane and Kings County, the latter was a substantially better experience than the former. After getting home decided to reward myself for driving for most of the day/night. 

y4mgAtgJWO8WONHt-aZThH0gIELZnBK-I4Lki9nv

Three fantastic pours but Lawrenceburg wins the day today. 

• I like it 2

Had a long day out with my brother today to belatedly celebrate his 40th, stopped at Widow Jane and Kings County, the latter was a substantially better experience than the former. After getting home decided to reward myself for driving for most of the day/night. 
y4mgAtgJWO8WONHt-aZThH0gIELZnBK-I4Lki9nvGwdGUFW2BGqt5HFxrH29otbjnsRKLd6vGUjrbcqpuXShEFHXXOGfqArIB0L8-08GfPXN-cx6kLleVSIQeDpy5Euf6-LnHqTwgZjsmXkrsl6A9LTCWT6pwRtUSQ2iN6HOtIFugSdr6FiIE1wLDWpdqPrGwJj?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Something looks wrong on that Four Roses label. [emoji848]

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Something looks wrong on that Four Roses label. emoji848.png

Yep I emailed 4R back in December and they offered to send me a replacement label (It is correctly OBSF) but I declined.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

y4mgAtgJWO8WONHt-aZThH0gIELZnBK-I4Lki9nv

Enjoying the hell out of this ‘17 Stagg, great pour. The 4R must be something too,   Epic lineup! Cheers! 

Yep I emailed 4R back in December and they offered to send me a replacement label (It is correctly OBSF) but I declined.

I thought I remembered this label issue coming up before.
  • I like it 1

Hard to read but does it say 15 years?

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Hard to read but does it say 15 years?

11 years 7 months

Opened the New Riff BiB I brought back from the Pilgrimage last month.  More heat than I expected, but not unpleasant.  Will take a few more evenings to decide, but not displeased.  

Right well enjoyed the JWD & JTSB BiBs that came home too - def adding them to the resupply list for the next trip, hopefully before HH screws us over yet again and throws 'em under the bus with the 6yrBiB.  

24 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

...hopefully before HH screws us over yet again and throws 'em under the bus with the 6yrBiB.  

Y’all don’t be hatin’, now.  HH done plenty good by us.

• I like it 2

First pour from the Rabbit Hole I got back in June.  Not bad for the age, however there is an after taste that lingers after the finish that’s odd.  Not off putting though. 

B7B8799F-6101-4B19-83F7-A21A95E667F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

hopefully before HH screws us over yet again and throws 'em under the bus with the 6yrBiB.  

Not sure how a company discontinuing a product is screwing us over......

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Weeeellll, I suppose one man's hatin' can be another's facts....

RIP:

EC12yr

OFbib

VSOF12yr

6yrbib

What'd we get/keep:

OFbibLE in fancy glass for 4-5x (not including gouging)

EW12yr mostly only at EW experience/HHBH for 4-5× EC12

??? for 6yrbib? Not gonna hold my breath...

A test float? of Larceny BP at triple digit $$ (IIRC...)

ECsmb now maybe 8+yr and not a nickle cheaper...

From where I'm sittin' HH is repeatedly screwing us by dropping generally  popular (albeit sometimes limited area) quality/value labels to put out significantly higher $$ and/or LE and/or lesser quality for same $$.   Sure others may be on the same wagon, but HH is the most blatantly obvious and IMHO least honest (witness the whole EC12 debacle).  And it actually does pain me to type that as I've tried to keep HH in a special place because of what they've been/offered in the past - but the past isn't the present or the future which HH keeps burning up (for me).  

YMMV of course, but for me, with all the options out there today and more coming tomorrow, if I'm gonna have'ta pay more then I'll spend my funds elsewhere and HH can pound sand.  And it does pain me to say that.

And so the PowderKeg has gone BOOOOOOM!!!  Maybe that NRbib did have more than a little extra heat...

Where's the Angry Bird bomb bird emojii...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

36 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Not sure how a company discontinuing a product is screwing us over......

I have to agree with both of these comments.    HH has traditionally been the 'value/price/quality' leader in so many brands for so long, it's hard to say they've done anything that I'd term screwing anybody over. 

They are suffering from the same issues all the major Bourbon producers are dealing with: diminishing stocks of aged Bourbon, and a lag in replenishing same, that will pretty much automatically lead any company to make hard decisions regarding many brands, along with loss of age statements, and rising prices.    It's unavoidable.    I mean we want the company to remain viable, no?    They have to adjust to the realities they face.   I'm not saying they are suffering from prices going up.     Any company welcomes a market that allows them to adjust prices upward; but, IMHO they haven't gouged (or at least not any more than anybody else, and probably less, and they waited longer in some cases to raise prices than their competition).

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

RIP:

EC12yr

OFbib

VSOF12yr

6yrbib

What'd we get/keep:

From where I'm sittin' HH is repeatedly screwing us by dropping generally  popular (albeit sometimes limited area) quality/value labels to put out significantly higher $$ and/or LE and/or lesser quality for same $$.   Sure others may be on the same wagon, but HH is the most blatantly obvious and IMHO least honest (witness the whole EC12 debacle).  And it actually does pain me to type that as I've tried to keep HH in a special place because of what they've been/offered in the past - but the past isn't the present or the future which HH keeps burning up (for me).  

YMMV of course, but for me, with all the options out there today and more coming tomorrow, if I'm gonna have'ta pay more then I'll spend my funds elsewhere and HH can pound sand.  And it does pain me to say that.

And so the PowderKeg has gone BOOOOOOM!!!  Maybe that NRbib did have more than a little extra heat...

Where's the Angry Bird bomb bird emojii…

On the other hand EWBIB, Ritt BIB, HM 10 BIB,  and ECBP are all arguably some of the best values in their class and they are still on the shelf. 

6 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

RIP:

EC12yr

OFbib

VSOF12yr

6yrbib

What'd we get/keep:

Where's the Angry Bird bomb bird emojii...

Good points. Im pretty happy with my tegular BT  products. HH is putting the squeeze on us. BT and WT have held fairly steady on products and pricing.

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Good points. Im pretty happy with my tegular BT  products. HH is putting the squeeze on us. BT and WT have held fairly steady on products and pricing.

Yes BT not squeezing anyone look at their $15 NAS BIB product, oh wait it's in a yellow tube and it costs $40. BT just doesn't work for me in this discussion they allocate everything while putting out line extensions and excluding ER and their Ultra Premium ranges nearly all of their age statements are implied in marketing material to increased their products perceived value. Not to mention the Old Charter 8 fiasco, which was no less than an actual attempt to "screw" their customers.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.