What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Excited to see this in the wild, until I saw the price!!! Another store had McKenna marked up to $100. #boycottbourbonscalpers IMG_20190419_132649312.thumb.jpeg.e782c744b98b6d8e5086e611efb6333e.jpeg

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Too many WT variations to choose from

amd too much $$ for my taste buds to even be able to understand.... I’m starting to regret picking up the IWH from a week ago. I probably won’t crack it open for a while

344C31CE-67B8-4ECA-86D5-E01E961AEBF8.jpeg

6E425B9D-BF1C-4675-81F0-1253E0A9DDD0.jpeg

I too am disappointed in the IWH. Perhaps it is just me though. I find it to be weak and watery, extremely muted. The CoK is a decent price. It's the Whistlepig that I like these days. 

• I like it 1

Spent the better part of of previous week/weekend on Pilgrimage to Frankfort and Louisville - Thunder, numerous tours, and other such.  After reading so much about Justins' House of Bourbon I decided I had to at least stop in since I was spending a few nights in Lex.  While the showcases with old bottles of OFitz and Wellers were really cool to see, the prices on virtually everything current were not.  I certainly understand that they - and so many other small shops - can't offer the prices that TW and LB can, so prices on most readily-available-in-KY bourbons (and they had a bunch of labels) running $5-10+ per higher was not unexpected.  What blew me away though was their pricing on other currents that aren't so readily fallen on, at least in KY:

1792 BIB - $180 (I paid that much in total with tax for the 4 bottles I picked off the shelf in three different stores down here - @$45/per+/- with tax)

1792 FP - $125 (@ $50 here, readily found)

1792 SIB - $120 ($40-45 here, readily found)

Stagg Jr - $145 ($55-65 typically here, found for a decent time after each release)

ETL - $245

RHF - $245

OWA 1.75 - $375

OWA previous label/red plastic cap 1.75 - $500  (not sure what makes this worth $125 more than the current one sitting right beside it)

W12 1.75 - $450,

Welller CYBP - $675

WSR 750/1.75 - $65/85 (actually makes the 1.75 look like a bargain from them, @ $20/$35 here with 750's almost as common as dirt now)

and a slightly dusty:

EC12 - $125

My previous interest in - and pre-visit opinion of - JHB has taken a tremendous dive.   As a rule, I will not buy anything from any low-life LS that openly gouges on anything - and there's no store I've found down here (yet) that's so shamelessly outrageous as JHB.   YMMV.

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

Spent the better part of of previous week/weekend on Pilgrimage to Frankfort and Louisville - Thunder, numerous tours, and other such.  After reading so much about Justins' House of Bourbon I decided I had to at least stop in since I was spending a few nights in Lex.  While the showcases with old bottles of OFitz and Wellers were really cool to see, the prices on virtually everything current were not.  I certainly understand that they - and so many other small shops - can't offer the prices that TW and LB can, so prices on most readily-available-in-KY bourbons (and they had a bunch of labels) running $5-10+ per higher was not unexpected.  What blew me away though was their pricing on other currents that aren't so readily fallen on, at least in KY:

1792 BIB - $180 (I paid that much in total with tax for the 4 bottles I picked off the shelf in three different stores down here - @$45/per+/- with tax)

Stagg Jr - $145 ($55-65 typically here, found for a decent time after each release)

ETL - $245

RHF - $245

OWA 1.75 - $375

OWA previous label/red plastic cap 1.75 - $500  (not sure what makes this worth $125 more than the current one sitting right beside it)

W12 1.75 - $450,

Welller CYBP - $675

WSR 750/1.75 - $65/85 (actually makes the 1.75 look like a bargain from them, @ $20/$35 here with 750's almost as common as dirt now)

and a slightly dusty:

EC12 - $125

My previous interest in - and pre-visit opinion of - JHB has taken a tremendous dive.   As a rule, I will not buy anything from any low-life LS that openly gouges on anything - and there's no store I've found down here (yet) that's so shamelessly outrageous as JHB.   YMMV.

Thanks for this. Saves me time and headache when I'm there in May as I was originally planning to stop by. 

Yesterday I passed on a George T Stagg for $799, Rock HIll Farms for $150, and a Weller SR for $199.  I don't know how this guy sells anything at these prices.  He is a strait up thief!

I don’t disagree that those are ridiculous prices, and I likely wouldn’t shop there because of his pricing practices, but he’s not a thief...he’s not forcing anyone to pay those prices...so, just take your business elsewhere.
  • I like it 4

On 4/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, Kepler said:

The Weller prices I see reported in this thread are downright outrageous.  Really rather disgusting when you think about it. 

On the other hand, it's economic theory 101 in action.  Folks, please spend your money on something else - that's the only way to really do something about it.  There are some really superb whiskeys out there at fair prices that are trying to earn your business.  Reward them....

So true. I can easily get a 13-15 yr KCSB for $40, they are common these days. I know some dont care for the Beam thing, but I love them. Sure, some are oak-heavy, but still good.

The wheater I wish I could find is 1792SW. Ill take that over a Weller any day.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

ETL - $245

RHF - $245

OWA 1.75 - $375

W12 1.75 - $450,

Welller CYBP - $675

and a slightly dusty:

EC12 - $125

12 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Thanks for this. Saves me time and headache when I'm there in May as I was originally planning to stop by. 

I've been to Kentucky bourbon country, what 4 times I guess (?) and I've never been to that place.  Sounds like I wasn't missing out.  Sounds like a tourist trap that caters to "tater tourists?"

Edited by Kepler

19 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

ETL - $245

RHF - $245

OWA 1.75 - $375

W12 1.75 - $450,

Welller CYBP - $675

and a slightly dusty:

EC12 - $125

Since that law passed, making secondary sales basically legal, KY has become somewhat of a free for all. 

There are literally people who do nothing but drive around all day, looking for bourbon to flip for profit. 

Last year in Bardstown, I witnessed this firsthand when a guy came walking into Toddy’s with a box of bottles. 

The manager (owner?) would look at each bottle, haggle, then hand him cash, take the bottle, Mark it up with his pricing gun, and put it on the shelf. 

KY is a very different market than where you (and most others live). 

I go for gift shop bottles, and bargains that I cannot get at home, like VOB & ET BiB.  Nothing else really surprises me anymore. 

Justins is a great museum, with free admission.  ;)

I was off today which just happens to be the delivery day at my neighborhood ABC store. I wasn’t able to be there when it opened and I missed out on 3 varieties of Wellers which sold out in 30 minutes. I heard this was coming on the Bourbon grapevine. :) They still had a dozen each of BT and Legent which I passed on.

Dropped by a random LS today.  Saw a EC BP A119 behind the counter and asked about it....I was told it was impossible to get and the price was $134.99!!!

I then asked if he wanted to buy a case of it from me @ $80 a bottle...

• I like it 4

43 minutes ago, callingtom said:

Dropped by a random LS today.  Saw a EC BP A119 behind the counter and asked about it....I was told it was impossible to get and the price was $134.99!!!

I then asked if he wanted to buy a case of it from me @ $80 a bottle...

I would have loved to have heard the reply!

• I like it 1

Friar Tucks in Forsyth, IL always has hard to find bottles and something tells me at these prices they always will.

4B998859-9FC4-4238-AB00-A609DAB4D3F6.jpeg

92A0B6BA-5C95-4FE2-8605-D761FE2CD839.jpeg

Edited by Jfletchgu

6 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Friar Tucks in Forsyth, IL always has hard to find bottles and something tells me at these prices they always will.

That's not terrible for Forged Oak. The rest though....

9 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Good price on Sinatra , below retail I believe

11 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

I used to live a few miles from the FT in Crestwood, MO. I very seldom bought anything there because of the prices. Which is a shame because they have a nice selection of bourbon and beer. 

I used to live a few miles from the FT in Crestwood, MO. I very seldom bought anything there because of the prices. Which is a shame because they have a nice selection of bourbon and beer. 

Those of us in Springfield, IL feel the same way about the FT here. I’m amazed they’ve stayed in business since we got our Binny’s.
  • I like it 1

I've seen the Beam Signature 12 mentioned a few times on the board recently, and came across a few of the below today. I passed, but curious to know if this 86 proofers is the same version that other SB members here have tried and liked?

IMG_20190503_120247.thumb.jpg.6adde5053fb185fbad41683f9989dcc6.jpg

Edited by dad-proof
pic

4B998859-9FC4-4238-AB00-A609DAB4D3F6.thumb.jpeg.07343636b1de3519c7a56eff648d3eb1.jpeg
92A0B6BA-5C95-4FE2-8605-D761FE2CD839.thumb.jpeg.e7a8bd59dead4ab028c8c0cfdd297491.jpeg
Those prices are identical to what I see all around Central Florida

A bit surprised by my reaction but last week I tried and passed on 4Rsmb select. Tried on different days, saw in several locations, passed every time. Each taste reinforced that I liked but didn’t love it. At the distillery I came away with a renewed appreciation for yellow label (It will always be YL to me!!!!) and reg. Smb. 

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

At the distillery I came away with a renewed appreciation for yellow label (It will always be YL to me!!!!)

^^^This^^^

I honestly cannot think of a better current 80 proofer than 4RYL.  While it easily gets lost in complex cocktails, it's perfect for summertime sipping out of the freezer, or mixed into something simple like lemonade or soda.

• I like it 2

A bit surprised by my reaction but last week I tried and passed on 4Rsmb select. Tried on different days, saw in several locations, passed every time. Each taste reinforced that I liked but didn’t love it. At the distillery I came away with a renewed appreciation for yellow label (It will always be YL to me!!!!) and reg. Smb. 

^^^This^^^

I honestly cannot think of a better current 80 proofer than 4RYL.  While it easily gets lost in complex cocktails, it's perfect for summertime sipping out of the freezer, or mixed into something simple like lemonade or soda.

Agree YL is probably the best 80proofer on the market. I actually found the new 4R select to taste like a YL on steroids, maybe I’m crazy.

15 minutes ago, 0895 said:

^^^This^^^

OK, comparing 80proofers is a pretty low bar...  :D  Regardless, I 100% agree with you on the out of the freezer greatness of YL.  My brother in Seattle got me on that last Summer, and it became a hot day Go-To.  

25 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

OK, comparing 80proofers is a pretty low bar...  

When you get bored at the top of the mountain, sometimes you gotta go back down...  :)

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.