What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof    $59.99 at a LS in Myrtle Beach.   I have a couple of bottle already.   I just saw the same bottles, here in MD, for $99.99.   Yes, I regret it.......

I saw a new one for around these parts. Old Elk Blended Straight Bourbon. Yeah, an easy pass.

Biba! Joe

I passed on a GTS @ $750 and Stagg Jr. for $150 in a local store today. They also had a shelf full of baby Sazz for $75 each.  Everything else was priced normally but these really stood out. 

Passed on these 2 today. Great price I just didn’t enjoy them enough to pick up more. 

0E04544E-6206-420F-8BC0-848CBAEDBC44.thumb.jpeg.def5929c7720ab01b246438f55ceaca3.jpeg

On 3/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I saw a new one for around these parts. Old Elk Blended Straight Bourbon. Yeah, an easy pass.

Biba! Joe

I just opened mine. Seems I have a “second edition”. They were originally NAS, mine is “three or more”, and the latest is “four of more”. 

I liked it. Definitely smooth, and a tad sweet - probably the high barley and near-lack of Rye. I’d buy another bottle once they start using just their distillate. 

23 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Passed on these 2 today. Great price I just didn’t enjoy them enough to pick up more. 

0E04544E-6206-420F-8BC0-848CBAEDBC44.thumb.jpeg.def5929c7720ab01b246438f55ceaca3.jpeg

That’s a great price for the Repeal Batch. If nothing else it’s get for mixing with your non enthusiast friends.  For the same price as white label you can tell them they are special since you opened  a “Limited Edition” just for them. 

4 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

That’s a great price for the Repeal Batch. If nothing else it’s get for mixing with your non enthusiast friends.  For the same price as white label you can tell them they are special since you opened  a “Limited Edition” just for them. 

Yes.. I’d totally do the JBRB for that price.. I haven’t tried it, BUT VA Gentleman, Club 400, and Kentucky Tavern etc go for at least or more than that here..

27 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I just opened mine. Seems I have a “second edition”. They were originally NAS, mine is “three or more”, and the latest is “four of more”. 

I liked it. Definitely smooth, and a tad sweet - probably the high barley and near-lack of Rye. I’d buy another bottle once they start using just their distillate. 

@fishnbowljoe

FWIW, that is juice greg metze distilled for old elk at MGP and the juice has aged at MGP. Not your typical craft out fit. 

I’d rec’d a brief 20 minute interview Metze did w/ the dads drinking bourbon crew. He goes into detail on MGP warehouses and how that impacts LDI/MGP juice. Metze helped lay down some of the best bourbon of this young century for what I like. 

BEC1569D-BFC3-4100-B41B-133C056FE054.png

Passed on ECBP for $70. I think that's a fair price but I already have a few unopened. That's the second or third time I've passed on in ECBP in the last year or so. I wouldn't say it's readily available at this point, but it definitely a bit easier to find than in years past (at least around here).

• I like it 2

Out and about yesterday. Passed on WLW @ $699.00 and GTS @ $399.00. I even left behind some Weller SR  @ $39.99. 

Biba! Joe

On 3/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, j_fuelfiveo said:

I passed on a GTS @ $750 and Stagg Jr. for $150 in a local store today. They also had a shelf full of baby Sazz for $75 each.  Everything else was priced normally but these really stood out. 

The Stagg Jr. pricing has gotten out of hand.   Here in MD,  I saw some for $99.00 at a local store on Saturday.   Pass.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311

2 hours ago, Spade said:

Passed on ECBP for $70. I think that's a fair price but I already have a few unopened. That's the second or third time I've passed on in ECBP in the last year or so. I wouldn't say it's readily available at this point, but it definitely a bit easier to find than in years past (at least around here).

I passed on ECBP for $59.99 at a LS in Myrtle Beach.   The more I read here, the more I'm starting to regret it.   I agree, that it seems easier to find now.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I passed on ECBP for $59.99 at a LS in Myrtle Beach.   The more I read here, the more I'm starting to regret it.   I agree, that it seems easier to find now.  

I think that's msrp now.  It's usually $70+ out here in Calif.  Occasionally, I'll see it for $60 and jump on it.  Almost always one per customer, though, at that price. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pretty common in Illinois.  Seeing and bought A119, also found 30 B518 sitting on shelf @ 59.99.

• I like it 1

The Stagg Jr. pricing has gotten out of hand.   Here in MD,  I saw some for $99.00 at a local store on Saturday.   Pass.  

Montgomery County stores sell at retail for $50 if you make it though and can find. Saw some about a month back but had to pass as I had already been buying too much.
  • I like it 1

CEHT Small Batch. I have a couple bottles in reserve already, and it is easier to get in NC than the Buffalo Trace I didn't pass on.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:19 PM, callingtom said:

Pretty common in Illinois.  Seeing and bought A119, also found 30 B518 sitting on shelf @ 59.99.

Northern or Southern IL? ;)

1 hour ago, ArthurDigbySellers said:

Northern or Southern IL? ;)

A119 in the North, B518 in the South.  A119 $65-69,  B518 @ $60

Edited by callingtom
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, callingtom said:

A119 in the North, B518 in the South.  B518 @ $65-69

Much obliged! I reckon I will pop over the river and see what I can find.

• I like it 1

A local store has their twice a year deep discount sale in March. I passed on FR 130th at $335 marked down from $499. 

Also, there were two bottles of ECBP on the shelf @ $44. I bought one and passed on one. I have a good number in the bunker but couldn’t pass on that price. 

• I like it 1

On 1/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, tsangster said:

Stagg Jr. at $190 and Blanton's at $250 if I recall correctly.

Wait? What? Neither one is worth more than $50-$60. AAMOF, I spent $60 on Batch 11 last week and wish I had my money back. Very ordinary. And Blanton's? Overrated...

3 hours ago, ArthurDigbySellers said:

Much obliged! I reckon I will pop over the river and see what I can find.

In a small town called Breese IL. ( Breese Liquor )  Just called....still have a bunch on the shelf $59.99.  Go get them!

37 minutes ago, ondarocks said:

Wait? What? Neither one is worth more than $50-$60. AAMOF, I spent $60 on Batch 11 last week and wish I had my money back. Very ordinary. And Blanton's? Overrated...

Yeah, I considered walking out without buying anything but was in need of everyday bourbon (EWBIB).  It was priced reasonably and it was the last package store before reaching my beer/wine only home county.  Not one of my usual go to stores and don't really remember why I was over that way.  Unlikely that I'll be in there again unless I need another good laugh.

A119 in the North, B518 in the South.  A119 $65-69,  B518 @ $60

And here in Springfield I have no idea which batch is sitting there at Friar Tuck because I saw the $99.99 tag and walked away. Only I’ve ever seen here though.

44 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

And here in Springfield I have no idea which batch is sitting there at Friar Tuck because I saw the $99.99 tag and walked away. Only I’ve ever seen here though.

Breese is only an hour 20 from you.  All you want $59.99!  B518 is a winner!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.