Empty Bottle(s) Support Group ~ 2020

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Nothing lasts forever, so they say...

I’ve been making this 2014 THH (129.2p) last a long time.  I think it is literally my favorite bottle of rye ever.  It was also my first THH.  Local lottery in 2015 had this one leftover from the prior year for whatever reason, so I got to choose between’14 or ‘15.  Never regretted my decision, and I eventually found a ‘15 (see my birthday post for more info).

Anyway, this bottle is just everything that great rye should be for me.  Rich and fragrant, with smells and tastes of leather wrapped in a floral bouquet.  Musty and spicy at first, but with a kiss of sweet at the end.  No burn going down, but rather the heat lingers in your mouth and on your lips, making them tingle slightly.

I’ve been gassing it over the years with private preserve to preserve the flavor, and have noticed no degradation.

Gone, but never forgotten, this bottle will always be the bar for which THH is measured against for me.

?

4639AC37-5AE3-4C2A-9E2E-5FBDCE314254.jpeg

Very nice tribute to a fallen hero. 

• I like it 2

This has been open for more than 2 years, but 80% of it has been consumed in the past 4 or so weeks. For whatever reason I was lukewarm (at best) with this for the longest time. Then all of a sudden the butterscotch just absolutely hit the spot. I now think I should go to my local and try their store puck of the WRDO. 

20200821_213237.jpg

• I like it 1

The wife and I finished off the remaining few pours from these various bottles over the last week or so.  The last of which was the EWBIB which I used to make my world-famous...OK, OK, my household-famous...Old-Fashioned cocktails.  They hit the spot this afternoon with the temperature well into the 90's.

Lo-res Empties 2020-08-25.jpg

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

1971 Stitzel-Weller.

Got this one sealed.

A little sad to see it go, 

but no regrets!

B6CAB0FD-1E00-4F6A-95EC-1834E7B2C113.jpeg

Wow nice bottle kill

• I like it 1

Killed off a blantons tonight i have been working on for about a month. I am down to a fifth and 2 pints.

Emptied a bottle of regular BT this evening. This bottle was nothing special, yet a friendly reminder that the basic expression from some of our favorites are just as good as some Single Barrel or group picks out there!

• I like it 2

Finished off my first bottle of OGD114. It wasn’t one of my favorites neat but was a treat with ice or in a cocktail. I’ll be looking for another.

Recent empties. The EC was a store pick, bottle signed by Bernie Lubbers as some kind of store promotion. 

The Old Bardstown 101 was not good, but decent when used as a mixer or blended 50:50 with WSR.

20200907_183546.jpg

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Recent empties. The EC was a store pick, bottle signed by Bernie Lubbers as some kind of store promotion. 

The Old Bardstown 101 was not good, but decent when used as a mixer or blended 50:50 with WSR.

20200907_183546.jpg

Would you buy the redemption again?

37 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Would you buy the redemption again?

These older 8 year bottles were in the $90's and no I would not buy again at that price.  Unless I simply couldn't get any MGP BP rye and if the MGP was my main thing for ryes (which it's not).

FWIW,  I still have 2 more of these (one unopened). Plus I bought some of the newer bottle style 10 year barrel proof because they were a good deal at the time. I like those just as well if not better. As I recall the dill note was a tad more forward in the 8 year version which would make sense.

I'm not sure what the options are out there for well-aged barrel proof MGP rye, but I assume there are some others out there.

Edited by Kepler

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm not sure what the options are out there for well-aged barrel proof MGP rye, but I assume there are some others out there.

Barrell is doing store pick single barrels of 7yr cask strength MGP now.

The one Ive tried was very good.

Rossville cask strength blend is also delicious and is a blend of two different MGP rye mashbills.

I just emptied a blantons 375ml i opened friday. I am down to one 750 and one 375 for backup. I guess i can only hope i come across a couple more under 100 bucks.

A few bottles of Weller hit the basement over the weekend. It’s not what y’all think. I had some Wellers that were fairly low, so I added to the handle of my Weller Blend. I also topped off the handle of my Weller Blend/Gary’s batch.

Biba! Joe

This was a little disappointing at first but it opened up and this last pour was stellar.  Glad I've got two more. 

saffel empty.jpg

• I like it 4

My handle of Weller Blend needed topped off. So, two Wellers were relegated to the basement. Also, with all the talk about ER, I said screw it, and finished that one off the other day. <_<

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

She will be missed. My first KC12 bottle. Won’t be my last. 

8EC8E29C-0505-4671-9EA7-314C926E5925.jpeg

This is some killer bourbon. I’m a big fan.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.