What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dipping into 3 different CNF barrels. This includes the final bit of the Lincoln Road bottle.  Happy turkey Thursday. 

20200604_210353.jpg

• I like it 2

Had an OF Rye 100 proof/Dolins 2:1 rocks (1 OZ: 1/2 OZ) Manhattan before dinner of charcoal grilled bison burger (bun, lettuce, a dab of ketchup, and some potato chips (don't laugh) and sour cream on salad) THEN after dinner we (well, I) finished off a JB Dist Cut (100 proof, 5-6 years per the label) which is an UNhomogenized JB BIB then while watching Will Farrell and John C. Reilly in "Holmes & Watson (2018)", I switched to OGD BIB (BIG SURPRISE!!).  I dunno if it is the new bottle or just a palate event, but the fruit and spice mix of this particular OGD is  memorable.  If it always tasted like this, I'd be (happily) dead of alcohol poisoning in a week.  Gotta keep an eye on this as I getting so old I forget what I doing so bad stuff sneak up.:ph34r:

As Samuel Pepys, says, "And, so to bed."

Pepys = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Pepys

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Had an OF Rye 100 proof/Dolins 2:1 rocks (1 OZ: 1/2 OZ) Manhattan before dinner of charcoal grilled bison burger (bun, lettuce, a dab of ketchup, and some potato chips (don't laugh) and sour cream on salad) THEN after dinner we (well, I) finished off a JB Dist Cut (100 proof, 5-6 years per the label) which is an UNhomogenized JB BIB then while watching Will Farrell and John C. Reilly in "Holmes & Watson (2018)", I switched to OGD BIB (BIG SURPRISE!!).  I dunno if it is the new bottle or just a palate event, but the fruit and spice mix of this particular OGD is  memorable.  If it always tasted like this, I'd be (happily) dead of alcohol poisoning in a week.  Gotta keep an eye on this as I getting so old I forget what I doing so bad stuff sneak up.:ph34r:

As Samuel Pepys, says, "And, so to bed."

Pepys = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Pepys

Damnit, Harry. That was too many parenthetical citations for someone who's had a few pours to have to read!!! But I did enjoy it. Cheers good sir. 

This is probably the third or fourth time I've had a pour from this David Nicholson 1843 bottle (the wheater, white label).  And it's the first time I've actually thought to myself "not too shabby." Before it was rather blah and unremarkable whiskey but tonight it is actually hitting the spot fairly well.

Edited by Kepler
Nicholson, not Nichols. Can't forget the son.

37 minutes ago, Kepler said:

This is probably the third or fourth time I've had a pour from this David Nicholson 1843 bottle (the wheater, white label).  And it's the first time I've actually thought to myself "not too shabby." Before it was rather blah and unremarkable whiskey but tonight it is actually hitting the spot fairly well.

I put mine in the freezer a few months ago to use as a mixer. Maybe I should give it another chance, but in the past it's also been very meh 

18 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I put mine in the freezer a few months ago to use as a mixer. Maybe I should give it another chance, but in the past it's also been very meh 

Maybe, but it's probably just one of those "good palate nights" that I get every now and then when a lot of average stuff tastes good.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

In fairness I will say that I'm a legit fan of the regular DN "Reserve" black label (rye based bourbon). It's quite a nice bourbon for the price that I will definitely buy again.

Edited by Kepler

For my last pour of the night I stepped up a level to an absolute stellar Knob Creek PS single barrel from several years ago. There is a lot of "tater hype" around the various 14-15 year Knob Creek store picks that have been recently available. But I am here to tell you that this "mere" 9 year pick from a well-regarded store known for excellent private selections is every bit as good as those -- and IMO even better than most! 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

21 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Maybe, but it's probably just one of those "good palate nights" that I get every now and then when a lot of average stuff tastes good.

I both love and hate those nights. I love them because so many whiskies taste awesome. I hate them because it gets me excited about whiskies that I then hate for the week following that night.

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, flahute said:

I both love and hate those nights. I love them because so many whiskies taste awesome. I hate them because it gets me excited about whiskies that I then hate for the week following that night.

Haha so true.

Back in my single days I had ex-girlfriend "relations" like that.

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

THX for this.  I have one DN 1843 in the front row of my bunker so I have to reach around it to get anything.  Bought two way back when and, like you, concluded it was at best average so never opened the second.  I stopped intentionally overlooking it this late Spring as part of my bunker clunker disposal (by swallowing, not by dumping).  It is now time to open it.  Wheateds work better for me in Summer, anyway, so it'll fit in this month.

4RSBS tasting real good after sitting half full for a few weeks. Glad i started early, because one pour just won't do when it's tasting this good.

20200605_182042.jpg

• I like it 3

Picked up a bottle of the new to NC Cooper's Craft Barrel Reserve. I am not a fan of the original Cooper's, but it was on sale for $30 and there was nothing else screaming my name so I took a flier. Glad I did. The scoring of the barrel staves really imparts great Oaky, dark chocolate, burnt sugar, graham cracker notes. Think "value minded" OldFo 1910 or Woodford DO. I'm betting in non-control states, this one may even be had in the $20-$25 range. 

Significant (and expected) oak influence, and nicely proofed. Extremely dry and getting drier by the minute.

IMG_4603.thumb.jpg.dfa087e3a4cb701f8384d0a750fd2268.jpg

• I like it 9

3 hours ago, GTStagg said:

4RSBS tasting real good after sitting half full for a few weeks. Glad i started early, because one pour just won't do when it's tasting this good.

20200605_182042.jpg

Just finished off my second bottle of this tonight.  I really like it but I am not certain that I prefer it over FRSiB.  I will probably buy another bottle at some point.  My first bottle was $62.99.  The second was $49.99.  I have seen it for %69.99.  I believe the $49.99 price is where it piques my interest.  It is a welcome addition to the FR product line.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Enjoying some 2015 FR LESmB that I brought with me when the wife and I made our trek out west to see the youngest granddaughter on her 1st birthday. We're on our way back home, so my pour is in one of those paper/waxy disposable cups in our hotel room. I think the whiskey may be causing some of the wax to separate from the cup ?. Time to drink up

• I like it 2

Bought an OF1920 for the first time in a long time tonight. Poured about three fingers over a big clear ice block and sipped for nearly an hour and half as the ice melted. Incredible spectrum of flavor as it evolved with the dilution. Oaky toffee and burnt-marshmallow with a hint of vegetal funk slowly transforming to a smooth caramel and baking spice, and a whole range of sensations in between. For $68 at my local its pretty pricey, but I love this bourbon and should probably keep it stocked more regularly. 

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just finished off my second bottle of this tonight.  I really like it but I am not certain that I prefer it over FRSiB.  I will probably buy another bottle at some point.  My first bottle was $62.99.  The second was $49.99.  I have seen it for %69.99.  I believe the $49.99 price is where it piques my interest.  It is a welcome addition to the FR product line.

I agree it should be in the 40-50 range. For 60 + i tend to expect significant age or barrel proof.

I'm going through some files on my old computer and in my filing cabinet this afternoon. I'm sipping on some FR while doing so. Not that I need help or anything, but I might have to stretch this out a bit so I can have another pour or two.?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I thought the earlier 17yo was well done-- but this new one has a remarkable delivery and finish. The wood presence is at an Orphan Barrel level, so it's not as well-balanced as the earlier WTMK17 release or an EC18-- but that's just my opinion.

IMG_4605.thumb.jpg.8858bdeb2371cc09e76dc218422ccefb.jpg

• I like it 6

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Significant (and expected) oak influence, and nicely proofed. Extremely dry and getting drier by the minute.

IMG_4603.thumb.jpg.dfa087e3a4cb701f8384d0a750fd2268.jpg

Nice!

If you've tried the Russell's 2002, how would you say it compares?

I found the RR2002 almost too oaky (and I like oak).

53 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I thought the earlier 17yo was well done-- but this new one has a remarkable delivery and finish. The wood presence is at an Orphan Barrel level, so it's not as well-balanced as the earlier WTMK17 release or an EC18-- but that's just my opinion.

IMG_4605.thumb.jpg.8858bdeb2371cc09e76dc218422ccefb.jpg

Hmm, if you are saying the new MKBiB is even less balanced than the EC18, then this may be the wrong Turkey for this Turkeyhead. Not a fan of EC18, too much woodchips for me.

Edited by Kepler
EC not W
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.