What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

49 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

I am gonna have to start me a bourbon/rye bucket list.  It seems very popular to have one these days.  Now to figure out what to put on it.

That’s easy. One of everything.

• I like it 1

ECBP A120 finally showed up here in No. Cal. so this morning I ordered 3 bottles from K&L.  FWIW, Fred Minnick named it one of his top 5 whiskies so far this year so it may not sit on the shelves for too long.  Remarkably, B and C batches from last year are still hanging around.  

I just found A120 on the shelf here in SW FL today and grabbed a bottle as well. I still have plenty of B519 and C919, but I hear this one is really good so I couldn't pass it up.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, JSpartan said:

Didn’t purchase today, but went to pick up a couple Weller FP’s picks a local  whiskey restaurant/group did. Very excited to crack one open this weekend while watching somewhat relevant sports in the Draft. 

Can’t wait to see how my Lions screw up the #3 overall pick...

Big Lions fan here as well. I cracked open WLW for the draft. I was hoping they could pull off a trade down with the Dolphins or Chargers and still get Okudah, but apparently they were both content staying put. 

• I like it 1

My recent pick ups with tasting notes..

Tasting Notes:  Upon opening you get immediately hit with burnt molasses, rye spice, and the slightest hint of corn.  On the palate, it starts off surprisingly soft as the hint of rye is buried under layers of sweetness but it fights its way to the front as you chew on it...the finish is a bit drying (not surprising) but a candied sweetness is left to linger....score 78/100 for the Bread in a Can

I'll post up GTS notes later....

image_from_ios.jpg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Tasting Notes:  Upon opening you get immediately hit with burnt molasses, rye spice, and the slightest hint of corn.  On the palate, it starts off surprisingly soft as the hint of rye is buried under layers of sweetness but it fights its way to the front as you chew on it...the finish is a bit drying (not surprising) but a candied sweetness is left to linger....score 78/100 for the Bread in a Can

image_from_ios.jpg

Heehee!  Well done.  ?

My Costco never gets anything good or so I thought.  My wife and I stopped in at lunch today to pick up a few items.  As we were walking to the back of the store, she said "hey, look that lady has a Blanton's!"  I didn't see it but I always check the liquor aisle.  When I turned to walk down the aisle, I saw some guy walking by in a hurry, almost running, cupping a bottle of Blanton's in both hands.  He got the last bottle.  When I got to the shelf, although it was apparent the box was empty, I still looked in the empty box and walked away.  Another guy also looked in the empty box and walked away.  A bunch more guys were looking around in bewilderment.  

I haven't seen Blanton's or even an empty box on the shelf in Indiana  in over three years. 

I asked the clerk stocking shelves if they had any more.  He said they might but only the department manager can put it out.  He said that every Monday morning people come in looking for bourbon.  I am not sure if it is their delivery day or the manager's first day back after the weekend.

Disappointed, yes.  I found solace by purchasing a bottle of FRSBS and ER.  But, I will return.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Hey everyone - started buying bourbon again for the first time in 3-4 years (feel free to read about why here)

Look forward to trying these!

1. Stagg Jr Batch 12: Never tried Stagg Jr but heard good things about this particular release.  Saw it sitting at a local store without a markup.  Left a bottle of Batch 13 on the shelf (considering going back for that one but we'll see)
  2. Pikesville Rye: Also never tried before but I'm a fan of Rittenhouse so expecting good things
  3. ECBP B519
  4. ECBP C919
  5. Scotch -- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12yr (recently discontinued)
  6. Scotch -- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14yr (the replacement -- scotch community is debating whether it is better/worse than the 12)

868575943_RecentPurchases.thumb.jpg.4d8cdc1753ab59e4c93923efa08d2bce.jpg

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, Rockefeller said:

Hey everyone - started buying bourbon again for the first time in 3-4 years (feel free to read about why here)

Look forward to trying these!

1. Stagg Jr Batch 12: Never tried Stagg Jr but heard good things about this particular release.  Saw it sitting at a local store without a markup.  Left a bottle of Batch 13 on the shelf (considering going back for that one but we'll see)
  2. Pikesville Rye: Also never tried before but I'm a fan of Rittenhouse so expecting good things
  3. ECBP B519
  4. ECBP C919
  5. Scotch -- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12yr (recently discontinued)
  6. Scotch -- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14yr (the replacement -- scotch community is debating whether it is better/worse than the 12)

868575943_RecentPurchases.thumb.jpg.4d8cdc1753ab59e4c93923efa08d2bce.jpg

I see you eased your way back in with a few barrel proofers, a solid rye and some scotch!  ?

18 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

image_from_ios.jpg

That's got to be the highest proof I've ever seen to date.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Mail call!!

fullsizeoutput_1805.jpeg

Question, what is the difference between this RRSB and the red/white labeled bottle? 

3 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Question, what is the difference between this RRSB and the red/white labeled bottle? 

This is the old label. They changed to the redish label around '14 or '15 (I believe). 

On 4/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Mail call!!

fullsizeoutput_1805.jpeg

It's curious how the label say "small batch single barrel".

Heard this is one of the best under-$60 bourbons in the game right now so decided to grab a bottle to try

OF1920.thumb.jpg.7b4442cab70c60486ddc5d51f2a5f8bc.jpg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

It's a really small batch.  Kinda like...party of one.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

It was an error that got missed. By the time anyone noticed it was too late and they were stuck with it until the new label design came out.

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

This is the old label. They changed to the redish label around '14 or '15 (I believe). 

Thanks.  Personally I like the older label better.

Definitely a big day of purchases for me.  But the Blantons is for a buddy who cannot find it.   I have only had Blantons from my one bottle, but just not worth the price to me.  ER on the other hand is golden and wish I could have a steady supply.

5E967FED-03AE-481F-9F06-C7ADA7ECAAE8.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 4/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, mal00768 said:

Yeah, I hear that Jimmy (or/and Eddie) wasn't happy with this label designation.

I can’t remember for sure the last time I bought a bottle. And no, it’s not CRS disease this time. <_< It’s been at least 10 weeks or so, and was probably a bottle of BT Bourbon Cream. I’ve been opening and enjoying bottles from my bunker, including a few “good ‘uns” lately. I even made another batch of my Weller Blend. Still, I must admit, I’m starting to get a bit antsy.  

I have a pt appointment this afternoon. After that, I have to use the drive through at one bank to drop off a car payment, then drive through another to make a deposit. We’re running a little low on a couple of things, so I might also have to make a stop at the grocery store. Most of y’all know what that means. ;) With reference to The Blues Brothers, “It’s a sunny day. I’m wearing gloves and a mask, and I have a full tank of gas. Hit it!” :D

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

With reference to The Blues Brothers, “It’s a sunny day. I’m wearing gloves and a mask, and I have a full tank of gas. Hit it!” :D

And it's a 106 miles to Chicago!   ?

• I like it 1

Just now, GeeTen said:

And it's a 106 miles to Chicago!   ?

It’s only 82 miles from my driveway to the parking lot of the Lincoln Park Binny’s. Even my new(er) SUV knows the way. Oh, and it’s 93 miles to the South Loop Store. Is it possible to have OCD and CRS at the same time?  ?

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.