What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Is it made by them or distilled in IN?

Distilled in Bend, Oregon. 

21 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Do you have any experience with their (Third Base) barrel/batch picks?  Some interesting stuff on their site.  What about Ledger's in Berkeley, any experience with their store picks?

I've had some pretty good Elijah Craig store picks from Third Base and a really good Knob Creek pick from Ledger's without a barrel number just the phrase "Chew on This" on the metal tag.  It was chewy all right.  

If you've never been to Ledger's, it's a pretty interesting place.  It's not in a great neighborhood and looks like a seedy corner liquor store.  But they know their bourbon and have some good bottles.  The guy behind the counter said he had gone to to the distillery to pick the Knob Creek barrel so you know they take their store picks seriously.  

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

If you've never been to Ledger's, it's a pretty interesting place.  It's not in a great neighborhood and looks like a seedy corner liquor store.  But they know their bourbon and have some good bottles.  The guy behind the counter said he had gone to to the distillery to pick the Knob Creek barrel so you know they take their store picks seriously.  

Thanks.  Ledger's has a sentimental place for me.  I lived in Berkeley from about 1967-1974 and my very best friend and roommate Doug worked at Ledger's.   Doug was the first one to get me drunk (Jack Daniels and creme soda, followed by screwdrivers--yes, we were quite the sophisticates!) and at the time, Ledger's would buy weird distressed lots of liquor--stuff from train wrecks, warehouse fires, etc so I never knew what Doug would bring home.

He was a great friend, each of was best man for the other at our weddings, and I miss him terribly since losing him to cancer 3 years ago.  I think a barrel pick from Ledger's would be something nice to drink in his memory.  I need an excuse to get back up to Berkeley for a visit anyway.

• I like it 2

Well.... I won't be able to buy any more until 2021, but... I found a WTMK Decades collecting dust at MSRP. I called probably 50 liquor stores and drove 45 min each way, but after getting lucky on a Revival (and 2 Cornerstone, 1 as a gift) then a new BiB, I decided I needed to complete my WTMK as best as I could. Can't wait to do a special tasting night! Just get me my Turkey Fan Boi Card, has definitely become my personal favorite distillery. 

5AA9CB63-E47A-409F-B7E8-AAA2ED19B5F9.jpeg

• I like it 6

8 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Well.... I won't be able to buy any more until 2021, but... I found a WTMK Decades collecting dust at MSRP. I called probably 50 liquor stores and drove 45 min each way, but after getting lucky on a Revival (and 2 Cornerstone, 1 as a gift) then a new BiB, I decided I needed to complete my WTMK as best as I could. Can't wait to do a special tasting night! Just get me my Turkey Fan Boi Card, has definitely become my personal favorite distillery. 

That Decades is arguably the pick of this litter.    It is for my taste buddies, anyway.   Good Find!   ...Especially at MSRP!!!

• I like it 1

I had to pick up a few things on the way home from therapy this afternoon. Long story short, Sam’s Club was restocked with liters of BT. Of course I did.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Everything gets here last but it finally showed up so I snagged 3x WTMK17yr BIB.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to pick up a few things on the way home from therapy this afternoon. Long story short, Sam’s Club was restocked with liters of BT. Of course I did.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

Hey Joe,

You and Tony Soprano - has it come to this????    ?

TTFN,

F.

8-)

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Everything gets here last but it finally showed up so I snagged 3x WTMK17yr BIB.

Did you order online? I can’t get it out here ?.

7 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Did you order online? I can’t get it out here ?.

Got it from my local. It just hit Washington State yesterday.

stopped by my local store and found a just offloaded case of 1792 BiB. couldn't pass up a chance to give this one a try.

• I like it 2

My bunkers pretty well stocked and I’ve really gotten pretty picky over the past couple of years.  My shopping opportunities have also been diminished by the pandemic (as my work travel has been virtually nonexistent).

When I see it, I have continued to bunker up on locally available ECBP throughout the spring and summer.  Mostly the A and B 20’s along with a straggler or two from a few older batches.

I broke that pattern today when I came across a 1792 BIB.  It’s the first one I’ve seen in probably over six months, so I just couldn’t pass it up.  I love that stuff...

• I like it 4

Had to get another Four Roses Small Batch today. Seems I just can’t keep this in the house this summer, just disappears almost as soon as it shows up anymore. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, miller542 said:

Had to get another Four Roses Small Batch today. Seems I just can’t keep this in the house this summer, just disappears almost as soon as it shows up anymore. 

This whiskey has not resonated with me over the years, but it calls to me every single time I see it on the shelf.  I think it has been mostly my expectations of what I think it should be, but those expectations may be tainting me, along with the Single Barrel being one of my faves and Yellow Label being such a gem out of the freezer.  I’m gonna get one for this weekend again, but with a clear mind.  Thanks, Miller!

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

My bunkers pretty well stocked and I’ve really gotten pretty picky over the past couple of years.  My shopping opportunities have also been diminished by the pandemic (as my work travel has been virtually nonexistent).

When I see it, I have continued to bunker up on locally available ECBP throughout the spring and summer.  Mostly the A and B 20’s along with a straggler or two from a few older batches.

I broke that pattern today when I came across a 1792 BIB.  It’s the first one I’ve seen in probably over six months, so I just couldn’t pass it up.  I love that stuff...

Worth it. The entire 1792 series is fantastic. Almost have them all minus 12 yr, sweet wheat, high rye, and port finish lol.

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This whiskey has not resonated with me over the years, but it calls to me every single time I see it on the shelf.  I think it has been mostly my expectations of what I think it should be, but those expectations may be tainting me, along with the Single Barrel being one of my faves and Yellow Label being such a gem out of the freezer.     Thanks, Miller!

Bingo! My sentiments exactly. The bottom rung of the FR ladder, Yellow Label, is a light, sweet, easy drinking go to. The top rung of the ladder, Single Barrel, is a rich, spicy, more in your face gem. Like Joe, I expected more from the middle rung of the ladder. I just never could figure it out.

Joe

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This whiskey has not resonated with me over the years, but it calls to me every single time I see it on the shelf.  I think it has been mostly my expectations of what I think it should be, but those expectations may be tainting me, along with the Single Barrel being one of my faves and Yellow Label being such a gem out of the freezer.  I’m gonna get one for this weekend again, but with a clear mind.  Thanks, Miller!

If i remember correctly (an increasingly sketchy proposition), it took you a while to warm up to Yellow Label too before you found the freezer magic.  Just keep plugging away Joe.  We know you'll get there eventually. ?

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of Blanton's yesterday at my local big chain grocery store. The man that runs the liquor dept keeps it in the back, and doles it out one bottle per customer when he has it. Of course it is always hit or miss but I go to the store at least once a week, so I always ask. It's my 4th bottle from that store, always at SRP or a few bucks lower if they have a sale in the liquor dept. 

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

If i remember correctly (an increasingly sketchy proposition), it took you a while to warm up to Yellow Label too before you found the freezer magic.  Just keep plugging away Joe.  We know you'll get there eventually. ?

You absolutely remember correctly!  I did a 180 on the Yella Label, just as you say.  And, I’m honored you remembered, because usually when I start blabbing I can tell you’ve quit listening to me.  ?

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Always happy to be a bourbon enabler!

The only expectation I have for it is that it will be reliably good quality every time up and it’s never let me down yet. I think it’s been my go-to this summer because it sits so solidly in the middle for me.  Not too strong in any one flavor, not too high proof, etc.  It fits any mood well, neat, on the rocks, in a whiskey sour, or with cola.  And I’ve been enjoying it all of those ways in the last couple months. 

Edited by miller542

Picked up the PX on a whim.  Barrel 1, bottle #74, out of Akron and sourced.  Have no idea of what I'm getting into.  At least I know I can fall back on the WTRB.

0730201346a.jpg

While running errands around town, I made a few detours into some of my less frequented liquor stores.  I came home with 3 WTMK17 bib and 1 ETL.  Opened my first WTMK17 the other day, man that this a great pour!   I need to swing there there more often.  

3 hours ago, miller542 said:

Always happy to be a bourbon enabler!

The only expectation I have for it is that it will be reliably good quality every time up and it’s never let me down yet. I think it’s been my go-to this summer because it sits so solidly in the middle for me.  Not too strong in any one flavor, not too high proof, etc.  It fits any mood well, neat, on the rocks, in a whiskey sour, or with cola.  And I’ve been enjoying it all of those ways in the last couple months. 

I’m looking forward to trying it again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.