What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped by the Bourbon Heritage Center today in Bardstown (Heaven Hill).   Was very surprised and delighted to see they had Old Fitz 16 for sale.   I have the 9, 11, 13, and 15 already on the bar, so what the hell - I paid the $240+ OTD to add a companion for the others.   Can't wait to open it when I get home.

I loved the 15, curios to see how the extra year changes the complexity.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Stopped by the Bourbon Heritage Center today in Bardstown (Heaven Hill).   Was very surprised and delighted to see they had Old Fitz 16 for sale.   I have the 9, 11, 13, and 15 already on the bar, so what the hell - I paid the $240+ OTD to add a companion for the others.   Can't wait to open it when I get home.

I loved the 15, curios to see how the extra year changes the complexity.

Wasn't the 15 in the $150 to $170 range? That extra year better be a really good year. 

image.thumb.jpeg.af5d30f6a1ae3101cac4e009de058799.jpeg
Went for the Blantons and got a ‘20 EHTBP and the new Stagg Jr. The Stagg was $54 and the EHT should be in the what bourbon did you pass on thread.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

59 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Went for the Blantons and got a ‘20 EHTBP and the new Stagg Jr. The Stagg was $54 and the EHT should be in the what bourbon did you pass on thread.

What did you think of the redemption... I got the 9yr and would pass if ever given another opportunity even at $65 I paid

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Wasn't the 15 in the $150 to $170 range? That extra year better be a really good year. 

The sad thing is, most limited products are more expensive at the HH gift shop than normal (non-gouge) pricing in a store. This has been the case for many years. So it’s nice that you can often get some cool bottles if you take the time to go there, but you pay a premium to get them there 

15 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

What did you think of the redemption... I got the 9yr and would pass if ever given another opportunity even at $65 I paid

What Redemption are you talking about? Bourbon or high rye bourbon? I assume that's what you're talking about. If so you got an incredible price at $65. 

I'm also a little confused at how that ties into FP's post 

19 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Loved the Rye but shockingly do not care for the high rye bourbon. Usually love 9-10 year MGP bourbon. Not sure if I’ll gamble on the regular (non high rye)  Bourbon. Yes.. I will eventually.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

The sad thing is, most limited products are more expensive at the HH gift shop than normal (non-gouge) pricing in a store. This has been the case for many years. So it’s nice that you can often get some cool bottles if you take the time to go there, but you pay a premium to get them there 

Right - and the red label Old Fitz (like the 16) has been  historically very limited in distribution outside of the distillery.   Not sure that will be the case this time, but have not heard of the product in the wild at all.

Should be in the pass forum but i picked up 2 750s of wsr for 40 each.

Got a Rebel Yell & Old Ezra SB store pic, RR store pic, & a W12.

• I like it 2

I guess I’ve been in a Turkey mood. 2 new barrels just came in to one of my local spots 

C3EBB4AF-8E1D-4B1F-840D-B9063E453BF5.jpeg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Should be in the pass forum but i picked up 2 750s of wsr for 40 each.

?. Nicely done.  

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I guess I’ve been in a Turkey mood. 2 new barrels just came in to one of my local spots 

C3EBB4AF-8E1D-4B1F-840D-B9063E453BF5.jpeg

I'd be interested to hear your impressions on those picks from those warehouses whenever you get around to opening them. I dunno, maybe I'm starting to get a little bored with rarebird as the the one and only voice for RRSiB opinions...

On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, smokinjoe said:

This whiskey has not resonated with me over the years, but it calls to me every single time I see it on the shelf.  I think it has been mostly my expectations of what I think it should be, but those expectations may be tainting me, along with the Single Barrel being one of my faves and Yellow Label being such a gem out of the freezer.  I’m gonna get one for this weekend again, but with a clear mind.  Thanks, Miller!

On 7/30/2020 at 6:42 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Bingo! My sentiments exactly. The bottom rung of the FR ladder, Yellow Label, is a light, sweet, easy drinking go to. The top rung of the ladder, Single Barrel, is a rich, spicy, more in your face gem. Like Joe, I expected more from the middle rung of the ladder. I just never could figure it out.

Joe

I guess I don't understand your disappointment in the Small Batch, if you are basing it just on comparison to the other Four Roses offerings. Different recipe than the standard Single Barrel.  Not even similar in flavor profile, nor is it probably even intended to be.  And Small Batch is much more complex and balanced than Yellow Label. I really like the SmB expression, as a well crafted high rye bourbon. I feel it's best peer comp is OGD BiB, and for me it holds up well.  Perhaps the 4R small batch is priced too high for what it is,... I might give you that (compared to, say OGD BiB and WT101 for example).

BUT for a mid-shelf nicely balanced rye-forward bourbon I think it's a fine and quite under-appreciated bottle.  Just one guy's opinion however.  ?

• I like it 1

On 7/30/2020 at 12:13 PM, miller542 said:

Always happy to be a bourbon enabler!

The only expectation I have for it is that it will be reliably good quality every time up and it’s never let me down yet. I think it’s been my go-to this summer because it sits so solidly in the middle for me.  Not too strong in any one flavor, not too high proof, etc.  It fits any mood well, neat, on the rocks, in a whiskey sour, or with cola.  And I’ve been enjoying it all of those ways in the last couple months. 

Very well said. I was struggling with how to explain it myself but you said it well.

• I like it 1

On 7/28/2020 at 7:14 AM, Richnimrod said:

That Decades is arguably the pick of this litter.    It is for my taste buddies, anyway.   Good Find!   ...Especially at MSRP!!!

What should MSRP or fair price be on these?

15 minutes ago, KEJOH299 said:

What should MSRP or fair price be on these?

Ya' know, I don't recall for sure what I paid; but, I'm gonna say it might've been around $120...?    I know that sounds pretty high to me, too.    I don't normally lay down more than a hundo for any bottle of whiskey; but, I had tasted it at a 'gathering' of the SB.com faithful a few weex earlier, and was very favorably impressed.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I guess I don't understand your disappointment in the Small Batch, if you are basing it just on comparison to the other Four Roses offerings. Different recipe than the standard Single Barrel.  Not even similar in flavor profile, nor is it probably even intended to be.  And Small Batch is much more complex and balanced than Yellow Label. I really like the SmB expression, as a well crafted high rye bourbon. I feel it's best peer comp is OGD BiB, and for me it holds up well.  Perhaps the 4R small batch is priced too high for what it is,... I might give you that (compared to, say OGD BiB and WT101 for example).

BUT for a mid-shelf nicely balanced rye-forward bourbon I think it's a fine and quite under-appreciated bottle.  Just one guy's opinion however.  ?

I struggle understanding it, as well. Like I conveyed in my post, I believe I may have been overthinking it and perhaps allowing influences outside of the whiskey itself to cloud my judgement.  So, I did the best thing...I bought a bottle on Thursday!  ?.  I’ve had several pours since, and you’re right, it is fine and I have been under appreciating it.  

• I like it 3

What's good Straight Bourbon community! First time, short time.  I've been a craft beer guy all of my adult life. Heck, I even worked in the industry for close to a decade. But it's worth noting that I've gently dipped my toes in whiskey waters for many years. In the last few months I've gotten into scotch (which I thoroughly enjoy), and from there into bourbon. And I must say, it's got me hook, line and sinker. I haven't been this head over heels for long, long time.

When I make the conscious decision to dive into a hobby, I tend to fully immerse myself. So I've recently been purchasing a pretty aggressive amount of the brown stuff, including yesterday's haul in the attached photo. 

I'm genuinely excited to learn all I can about whiskey, and Straight Bourbon has already provided a wealth of information. I look forward to many years and decades of visceral enjoyment, and a solid relationship with this community. 

IMG_20200731_152257_compress83.jpg

Edited by Rhettro
Grammar
  • I like it 5

15 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

What's good Straight Bourbon community! First time, short time.  I've been a craft beer guy all of my adult life. Heck, I even worked in the industry for close to a decade. But it's worth noting that I've gently dipped my toes in whiskey waters for many years. In the last few months I've gotten into scotch (which I thoroughly enjoy), and from there into bourbon. And I must say, it's got me hook, line and sinker. I haven't been this head over heels for long, long time.

When I make the conscious decision to dive into a hobby, I tend to fully immerse myself. So I've recently been purchasing a pretty aggressive amount of the brown stuff, including yesterday's haul in the attached photo. 

I'm genuinely excited to learn all I can about whiskey, and Straight Bourbon has already provided a wealth of information. I look forward to many years and decades of visceral enjoyment, and a solid relationship with this community. 

Well you certainly hit a major home run with that WT101. Congrats on recently joining the club.

15 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

Welcome.

I like your idea of cutting your teeth on the smaller and more tried and true foundation type bottles to learn what you like and taste different things.

I personally would caution you about grabbing finished stuff like the Magnus and B.O. without trying them  first, as they tend to be varying in regards to satisfaction for price paid.  Also, those finished products can be tough to drink, if certain flavors don’t agree with your taste buds.

24 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Welcome.

I like your idea of cutting your teeth on the smaller and more tried and true foundation type bottles to learn what you like and taste different things.

I personally would caution you about grabbing finished stuff like the Magnus and B.O. without trying them  first, as they tend to be varying in regards to satisfaction for price paid.  Also, those finished products can be tough to drink, if certain flavors don’t agree with your taste buds.

Thanks for the heads up, 0895. I figured that because I quite like scotch (most of which is finished in different liquor and liqueur barrels) that I would probably enjoy these finished whiskeys. I haven't cracked them yet, but when I do, I'll report back and give you my opinion on 'em. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.