What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Very nice haul @FasterHorses! Out of curiosity, what batch of CB do you have there?

Thanks Nancy. Thats a 30 and I got two 32’s as well

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks fellas. Yes, I believe I was rewarded.

I’m not quite sure if I’m gonna open it now or save it for some time down the road. I have a couple other WLW’s in my bunker, and I’m thinking about opening one of those. Regardless, one of my WLW’s will be opened.

Biba! Joe

FWIW, I decided to bunker my 2020, and open up my 2018. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

Thanks to a tip from @fosmith, was able to snag a couple bottles of the WSR PS from a supermarket chain.  And as an indicator the bourbon gods reward sharing and caring, the same chain happened to have some Buffalo Trace PS bottles on the shelf.  Scored a couple of those for myself and for fosmith!

D91476D7-182B-477E-89D4-3C124C25C4A0.jpeg

Feel free to post up where all these Safeway store picks are in the Bay Area! Nice score

10 minutes ago, webfoots said:

Feel free to post up where all these Safeway store picks are in the Bay Area! Nice score

Basically, any of the larger locations in nicer neighborhoods are probably fair game.

If you get down to the Bay Area for visits, give us a holler beforehand and we can try to set up an offline!

• I like it 1

Earlier today I stopped by my local Total Wine to pick up their last bottle of Calumet 14 just in case I really like the one I have when I try it, and as has happened numerous times, there's none left when I decide to go back for more. And when I was there they had a bottle of the Widow Jane 15.

I like WJ a lot, their 10 has lovely character but I usually pass on it because at $75 I can find bourbons that I prefer at that price point and below.  I am however a big fan of their 12yo that is a Total Wines direct release and find it worth its at $100 price as it is head and shoulders above the 10 in depth and taste. So when I saw the 2020 15yo release on the shelf I thought I'd pick it up along with the 12 to do a direct taste comp.

IMG-6024.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, soulsea said:

Earlier today I stopped by my local Total Wine to pick up their last bottle of Calumet 14 just in case I really like the one I have when I try it, and as has happened numerous times, there's none left when I decide to go back for more. And when I was there they had a bottle of the Widow Jane 15.

I like WJ a lot, their 10 has lovely character but I usually pass on it because at $75 I can find bourbons that I prefer at that price point and below.  I am however a big fan of their 12yo that is a Total Wines direct release and find it worth its at $100 price as it is head and shoulders above the 10 in depth and taste. So when I saw the 2020 15yo release on the shelf I thought I'd pick it up along with the 12 to do a direct taste comp.

IMG-6024.jpg

Let us know how you like the Calumet 14 yo when you try it! I’ve often been tempted by it!

21 minutes ago, ptman2000 said:

Let us know how you like the Calumet 14 yo when you try it! I’ve often been tempted by it!

Will do ... I'll prolly polish off the WJ bottles first and it will be next in line.  ?

Oh what the heck, you twisteded my arm.  :)

IMG-6026.jpg

First sniff reveals a powerful smokey aroma, quite substantive and a good start.

First taste is very good, but I was expecting a little more.

I'll let it sit for a bit and let it work itself out both in the glass and on my taste buds.

Even as I type the aftertaste is leaving an increasingly better impression on me and the experience is improving by the minute ... fwiw that's actually rather unusual for me as I can usually determine my liking for most whiskeys with a couple of gulps..

It's a delicious bourbon, just not sure it's good or distinctive enough to measure up to its aging or warrant the price.

I think I'm going to go get a bottle of the regular calumet (of which I am a fan) and do a taste comp to see if this one is better.

That's all I got after a few sips, but for now there's nothing in the experience that would preclude me from discouraging anyone from picking up a bottle. 

Edited by soulsea
  • I like it 2

JD SiB BP @ $49.99. I’ve been meaning to try this for a long time but just hadn’t. I was intending to replace my last bottle of Rare Breed that didn’t last a week. Jimmy Russell has set the bar high for Jeff Arnett. 

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

JD SiB BP @ $49.99. I’ve been meaning to try this for a long time but just hadn’t. I was intending to replace my last bottle of Rare Breed that didn’t last a week. Jimmy Russell has set the bar high for Jeff Arnett. 

Mr. Russell has set the bar high for EVERYONE!  Please let me know what your thoughts are on the JDSiBBP!

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Great price... Its 65 around me and I still think its a great value.

stopped at a few places looking for ecbp on Sunday but struck out. I did find this and since mm46cs is not available here as a stand alone bottle i pulled the trigger on the variety pack.

20201207_155223.jpg

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

The 2 I've had were very good. For $50 It's incredibly good. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Wlrogers said:

Mr. Russell has set the bar high for EVERYONE!  Please let me know what your thoughts are on the JDSiBBP!

You said a mouthful there!

Initial thoughts are very good but not better than the 116.8 Rare Breed. That "batch" really does it for me. Citrus, spice and wood balanced out oh so nicely, but back to the JD. I get the signature JD banana but not too much or artificial tasting like some of their expressions. Dried banana, caramel and wood stand out. Pretty darn drinkable for 128 proof; uh oh!

46 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

The 2 I've had were very good. For $50 It's incredibly good. 

Agreed. I'm very happy with the buy at $50 but at $65-70, which is what the normal price is in my market, I'm probably going to pass. I'm not quite in agreement with a couple of bourbon podcasters that call it Stagg Killer.

EH Taylor SmB for $48. It’s been awhile since I’ve had a fresh one, so I’m excited... particularly given the only other store in the area where I’ve seen it recently has been asking $100 for it. ?‍♂️

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, parksmart said:

Lucked out and snagged another WSR PS and a BT PS today.  

I’d be buying multiples of each as long as the price was at or near retail. I’ve been purging bottles from my bunker. I’ve also done some vatting. In rearranging my cabinet, I did an impromptu inventory. I don’t have as many as I’d like, but I have thee ps BT’s, and one ps liter of Weller SR

Biba! Joe

31 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’d be buying multiples of each as long as the price was at or near retail. I’ve been purging bottles from my bunker. I’ve also done some vatting. In rearranging my cabinet, I did an impromptu inventory. I don’t have as many as I’d like, but I have thee ps BT’s, and one ps liter of Weller SR

Biba! Joe

When will we get an update of your bunker? ?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, ABVT said:

When will we get an update of your bunker? ?

Soon maybe. ? I’ll post in the show us your stash thread, but  probably no pics. It’s too much of a pain to take em out of the cabinet to get pics. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

The BT PS was same price as the regular BT, which wonder of wonders is actually a pretty decent regular price considering what some stores price BT at around here.

Amazingly, the WSR PS was dramatically lower than even the cheapest I’ve seen regular WSR priced around here the past few years.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.