What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's how it was in the good old days.  A store got a deal buying a whole barrel.  They priced the bottles accordingly, plus needed to make some cash fast, and not sit on a lot of inventory.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, parksmart said:

The BT PS was same price as the regular BT, which wonder of wonders is actually a pretty decent regular price considering what some stores price BT at around here.

Amazingly, the WSR PS was dramatically lower than even the cheapest I’ve seen regular WSR priced around here the past few years.  

? As I’ve said here a number of times when I find a unicorn or find some thing at a good price, “Every once in a while.”  Nice Park.  Enjoy the heck outa those bottles. ?

Biba! Joe’s

Boom.  Excited especially for the midwinters dram.  

As I posted in the “pass” forum I got both of these for retail and passed on Weller 12.

09F16206-0424-4D29-82F9-1C84FDA73169.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 10/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, smokinjoe said:

Picked up a local’s PS Rebel Distllers Collection.  Not quite a total hot mess, but damn close.  Surprising, since the nose was non existent to start.  

0CA07841-DD61-45B9-B188-DC17A1C5D86D.jpeg

After a few attempts and really getting no redeeming qualities from this bottle, I parked it on the back shelf in October thinking a time-out after a stern talking to might help it come around....Nope.  No help.  It’s not as belligerently hot on the tongue, but still uncomfortably ornery.  That’s the good news.  The bad news is that now it is a cinnamon-y mouthwash, young tasting, raw wood, mess.  

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

After a few attempts and really getting no redeeming qualities from this bottle, I parked it on the back shelf in October thinking a time-out after a stern talking to might help it come around....Nope.  No help.  It’s not as belligerently hot on the tongue, but still uncomfortably ornery.  That’s the good news.  The bad news is that now it is a cinnamon-y mouthwash, young tasting, raw wood, mess.  

The OHIO pick was quite nice for me - sorry to hear that yours was below par.   I think it had some WA qualities.

2 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Holiday booze.  Let the wild rumpus start!

IMG_6416.thumb.jpg.9166ccbf9d01d2b52a626ec84c9d1e34.jpg

Very nice Mike. Ho Ho Ho! :D

Biba! Joe

36 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

The OHIO pick was quite nice for me - sorry to hear that yours was below par.   I think it had some WA qualities.

In the whiskey game, “par” is very subjective!  ?

• I like it 1

My whiskey spending binge continued tonight with an EC18! I’m stoked. 

The great news though, is I’ve been budgeting my whiskey funds all year waiting for the annual releases to start getting doled out, and still have a bit left before I tap out. For some reason, I have a good feeling that my luck will continue into next week. Stay tuned!

• I like it 3

On 11/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, jnewberg said:

Mail call today except for the Blantons which was a local store pick

4089A047-C4BB-49DE-A971-BF1CC932959A.jpeg

How’s the Doc Swinson’s?

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You've been so gushy on various new releases for so long that your Rebel and Old Tub thoughts make me think that they must REALLY SUCK. ?

12 hours ago, DeepCover said:

How’s the Doc Swinson’s?

I really like it... Not a huge fan of HH but the older stuff at a higher proof I can def get into... I took a pour the day it came and haven't revisited it but if I were to see it at MSRP (I won't because I am in MI) I would buy multiples... Want to try it vs PVW15 because I heard its a close call.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

You've been so gushy on various new releases for so long that your Rebel and Old Tub thoughts make me think that they must REALLY SUCK. ?

Well, it’s just my opinion...The YMMV caveat has to always be considered!  

Here’s my additions to the family. $199 for the GTS, $69.99 for the RHF and overpaid for the W12 at $90. The W12 was the first place I went to and he was ringing up a EHT Rye I was super happy with until the price came back $212. I said no way and he offered me a W12 so I took it. Oh well.

B6960B71-AB94-426A-A4BA-D79FE5769116.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, it’s just my opinion...The YMMV caveat has to always be considered!  

Yeah but you like everything I like and a bunch of stuff I don’t.  So my inclination toward avoidance seems well founded.

6 hours ago, jnewberg said:

I really like it... Not a huge fan of HH but the older stuff at a higher proof I can def get into... I took a pour the day it came and haven't revisited it but if I were to see it at MSRP (I won't because I am in MI) I would buy multiples... Want to try it vs PVW15 because I heard its a close call.

Wow. That’s a rousing endorsement in my view. I’ve passed on this one a few times at msrp. I may have to give this a second thought.

Feeling a little like I was missing out since I passed on the Very Olde St. Nick 17 Year 375 ml bottle for $649.99 and Schoonver 14 Year Barrel Strength for $205, I stopped in another store and picked up a MM101 for $33.99 and OF100 1.75 L for $34.19.

• I like it 5

Purchased a bottle of my local shop's Makers Mark Private Barrel. Just came in, interesting staves and they gave me a taste in the store before I bought it. Its nice...a little hot, but not enough to scare anyone off. 

• I like it 1

I took off work yesterday to finish up my Christmas shopping and stopped at a few store around town for some store picks. Pretty excited to give all these a go. 

2883AFCF-DDB3-47F5-9E70-E2EC263F8759.jpeg

• I like it 2

One of our locals just got in a nice single barrel of 4 roses..... err I mean “Bulleit”.  Has the fresh floral feeling of a nice “Q recipe”, but that’s just speculation.

Some employee of the month did an extra good job of sanding the 4R info off the barrel head before shipping it over.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed experiencing these proofed down to 104 and NCF, which for those that are observant, will note are also the specs on small batch select ?.

4FDDCE9C-35A0-4468-85F2-2A8E9BF72B5A.jpeg

• I like it 1

I came up empty at the local raffle for the first time ever, but was consoled by this nice set at fair pricing ($60.00/$124.99/44.99)…

IMG_5621.thumb.jpg.9882b755fbc57d8e041f499a1e3f2a15.jpg

• I like it 9

FedEx made a delivery yesterday. A Weller FP has now joined a number of it’s Weller brethren. What a helluva family! ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.