What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Well gosh. I can't fault you for this comment. When I first noticed this (maybe circa 2013ish?) I thought heaven fell to a shelf I could reach? But I would warn others this could be a bourbon gateway for the easily attainable and totally delicious 101. :) 

Ha! I love 101 as well! There's just something about Turkey at 10 years and higher that just suits me more than I realized previously. 

• I like it 1

I hopped on the MM101 bandwagon today.  It is pretty solid.  I got it on sale for $33.99.  It is the same price as MMCS but I prefer it over MMCS.  I guess I need to grab another bottle while its on sale.

A few years ago, my sweet spot was 105 to 110 proof.  While my preferences can vary based on the bottle, I find I am enjoy pours in the 95 to 105 range.  Current preferences are KC, WT101, OF100, some BIBs and now MM101.  

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, flahute said:

Ha! I love 101 as well! There's just something about Turkey at 10 years and higher that just suits me more than I realized previously. 

Count me in on that too.  Turkey at 10+ has never disappointed and is my ‘go to’ these days.  Some nice options for us to drink in these days where so many good bottles are impossible to find.

• I like it 1

Drinking an Elijah Craig single barrel pick by the Oklahoma Bourbon Connoisseurs facebook group. Its pretty tasty, 10 yrs old...called the "Bombshelll's"pick....enjoy it. Had a couple Rittenhouse old fashioneds earlier...this to end the night. 

I tried a couple pours for the first time, Smoke Wagon and Remus Repeal Reserve batch 4. Both are MGP. The Smoke Wagon comes in a cool bottle and has some hype around it from some people, but the Remus was far superior whiskey. Pretty darn good whiskey in general. 

In memory of Dave Pickerell (USMA 1978 and sometime football player for The Rabble "BEAT NAVY!!" - defensive tackle, I think he told me), I opened a WP (uh, Whistle Pig) 10YR 116.8 proof (Canadian sourced) rye.  It's a SiB pick (Petite Cellars n MD, Lot 2) that I got to taste before buying.  Bought some bottles, a few of which . . .

ANYWAY, Army-Navy Game on SATURDAY 12 Dec at 3PM on CBS is the first time since 1943 that the A-N game will be played on a "home" field.  Most years, it is played in Philadelphia, but since WW II, a few games have been played in other cities - Baltimore, Pasadena (in 1983), Giants Stadium in NJ, and Fed-Ex Field outside WDC, and NYC.  THIS year, only Midshipmen and Cadets (and academies' staffs, etc.) and a few high-mucky-mucks will attend in person.

ESPN's College Game Day will broadcast their regular college football show from West Point 9AM-Noon ET.  CBS Sports Network will broadcast the "March-On" starting at Noon ET and running to about 1:30pm ET.  It will then run its "A-N Tailgate" with the requisite stories of "Where are they NOW??" and the antics the academies engage in to show "spirit".

I expect a respectable portion of the WP750 will bite the dust this weekend.  I sure hope I get to see The Game.:o

Grip hands, Dave.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
emojis just because; edit #2 add venues
  • I like it 5

Started off before dinner with some Larceny PS, which was like a dessert in a glass. After dinner I QC'ed a couple experimental vattings that are mingling, along with a splash of OGD 114. Finished it up this evening with a couple of the old favorite, KC9.

13 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

In memory of Dave Pickerell (USMA 1978 and sometime football player for The Rabble "BEAT NAVY!!" - defensive tackle, I think he told me), I opened a WP (uh, Whistle Pig) 10YR 116.8 proof (Canadian sourced) rye.  It's a SiB pick (Petite Cellars n MD, Lot 2) that I got to taste before buying.  Bought some bottles, a few of which . . .

ANYWAY, Army-Navy Game on SATURDAY 12 Dec at 3PM on CBS is the first time since 1943 that the A-N game will be played on a "home" field.  Most years, it is played in Philadelphia, but since WW II, a few games have been played in other cities - Baltimore, Pasadena (in 1983), Giants Stadium in NJ, and Fed-Ex Field outside WDC, and NYC.  THIS year, only Midshipmen and Cadets (and academies' staffs, etc.) and a few high-mucky-mucks will attend in person.

ESPN's College Game Day will broadcast their regular college football show from West Point 9AM-Noon ET.  CBS Sports Network will broadcast the "March-On" starting at Noon ET and running to about 1:30pm ET.  It will then run its "A-N Tailgate" with the requisite stories of "Where are they NOW??" and the antics the academies engage in to show "spirit".

I expect a respectable portion of the WP750 will bite the dust this weekend.  I sure hope I get to see The Game.:o

Grip hands, Dave.B)

Always one of my favorite sporting events of the year.  I don't know the whole story, but during one of the "home" games during WWII the military did not want the expense of bussing the students from the visiting academy.  Thus the underclassmen of the home school were ordered to cheer for the opponent, so the radio broadcast sounded balanced.  

Got to visit a friend's collection tonight.

Started with a sampling of the OF Whiskey Row Collection

Then a Pour of VOB

Then some Very Olde St. Nick

Finished with a Bakers 13.  

Not a bad evening.

14 minutes ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

Always one of my favorite sporting events of the year.  I don't know the whole story, but during one of the "home" games during WWII the military did not want the expense of bussing the students from the visiting academy.  Thus the underclassmen of the home school were ordered to cheer for the opponent, so the radio broadcast sounded balanced.  

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

1942 A-N game was played at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, and the 1943 game was played at West Point.  Both years, Pres. FDR waived objections based on the use of vehicle fuels, citing the country's morale needs.  While I do not know personally what was done in 1942, I can tell you on knowledge and belief from talking to people who were THERE THEN that the USMA Corps of Cadets in 1943 was divided with one-half learning Navy cheers and sitting on the "opponent's" side of Michie Stadium behind the Navy team and cheering them on.

Another half-inch of my Whistle Pig has disappeared.  What the HEY!!!???? 

EDIT - Until "recently", travel was by train, not bus.  In fact, up to the 1970s, the train travel to Philadelphia for the annual A-N game was the largest single movement of people to one site via train for YEARS.  A special, temporary station was set up in a freight yard near the old Franklin Stadium/new whatever stadium to allow those dozens of trains to pull in.  Over 20,000 people arrived by train within walking distance and left(I think) to go home about two hours after the game ended.  MAN!! but those trains were "wet" on the way home!  Drowning sorrows/celebrating a win - who cared??

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

39 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Grip hands, Dave.B)

Here ya' go Harry. These pics are for you brother. They're from a MM Ambassador party during the 2007 KBF.

Cheers! Joe

P9140023.JPG

P9140025.JPG

• I like it 2

Not the most original choices, did side by side with ER and Blanton's. This whole time I felt ER would bat pretty close, but there's something Blanton's just has in terms of mouth feel and complexity. Ah well!

Edited by shuttlenote
  • I like it 1

Man, did I put a hit on a newly purchased bottle of WT101 last  night.  Honestly, whiskey doesn’t get much better than this staple.  I would have posted about it then, but for some reason fell asleep in the chair right after that rat bastard Sawyer drove Santa Claus to Bellevue to have him committed.  I simply must have been tired...  ?

• I like it 7

With all the talk about Blanton’s lately, I decided to pop one open last night and have a couple of pours. Like the old Coca Cola slogan says, “The pause that refreshes.” ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Enjoy these two pours the other night with great company! Been to long since we were together so opened something I was waiting on

AF05A742-6584-4905-B00E-C35E918E2CB0.jpeg

A42C07A9-691F-4ECF-BC6A-13AB49DA19C9.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I hopped on the MM101 bandwagon today.  It is pretty solid.  I got it on sale for $33.99.  It is the same price as MMCS but I prefer it over MMCS.  I guess I need to grab another bottle while its on sale.

A few years ago, my sweet spot was 105 to 110 proof.  While my preferences can vary based on the bottle, I find I am enjoy pours in the 95 to 105 range.  Current preferences are KC, WT101, OF100, some BIBs and now MM101.  

A good friend recently sent me a bottle of MM101.  Totally unexpected and greatly appreciated - nice backstory, too.    ?

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

A good friend recently sent me a bottle of MM101.  Totally unexpected and greatly appreciated - nice backstory, too.    ?

Cool.?

Having a local store pick four roses OBSV. I adore it. I get a lot of honey from it. Love what 4R is putting out. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I tried a couple pours for the first time, Smoke Wagon and Remus Repeal Reserve batch 4. Both are MGP. The Smoke Wagon comes in a cool bottle and has some hype around it from some people, but the Remus was far superior whiskey. Pretty darn good whiskey in general. 

THANK YOU for not succumbing to the Smoke Wagon hype.

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Grip hands, Dave.B)

Navy Brat here. Was rooting for the other side. Ooooof.......not a good showing. Recovering with some Stagg Jr.

Wife is out of town so I'm firmly planted on the couch and watching college football.

Had some EHTBP and then followed with a few year old bottle of Stagg Jr.

EHTBP gets the hype but right now Jr. is kicking it's butt.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

1942 A-N game was played at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, and the 1943 game was played at West Point.  Both years, Pres. FDR waived objections based on the use of vehicle fuels, citing the country's morale needs.  While I do not know personally what was done in 1942, I can tell you on knowledge and belief from talking to people who were THERE THEN that the USMA Corps of Cadets in 1943 was divided with one-half learning Navy cheers and sitting on the "opponent's" side of Michie Stadium behind the Navy team and cheering them on.

Another half-inch of my Whistle Pig has disappeared.  What the HEY!!!???? 

EDIT - Until "recently", travel was by train, not bus.  In fact, up to the 1970s, the train travel to Philadelphia for the annual A-N game was the largest single movement of people to one site via train for YEARS.  A special, temporary station was set up in a freight yard near the old Franklin Stadium/new whatever stadium to allow those dozens of trains to pull in.  Over 20,000 people arrived by train within walking distance and left(I think) to go home about two hours after the game ended.  MAN!! but those trains were "wet" on the way home!  Drowning sorrows/celebrating a win - who cared??

Thanks for filling in the gaps!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.