What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

2013  Birthday Bourbon after work, today.  This bottle has been open for 7 years, and I’ve not gone to it much in recent years as I forgot where it was.  ?.  At first, the nose seemed a little off, but the whiskey was delicious.  Some light oakiness and a wonderful butterscotch candy note with a light floral undertone.  I don’t remember if that is what I detected upon opening in 2013, but it’s that way now, and it was terrific.  The nose worked it’s way out eventually as it sat, so probably just some funk from sitting idle needed to escape.  

3ECCBEBD-561F-41B0-BC4C-2E0A2BC4F1D3.jpeg

That is probably my favorite OFBB. I got together with some friends this afternoon and had some really great pours. 
E6D95935-CE7F-402F-A7C9-D3432E7215B5.thumb.jpeg.34938d4d373f0b2dc5d58db9c1284f90.jpeg

• I like it 12

7 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

That is probably my favorite OFBB. I got together with some friends this afternoon and had some really great pours. 
E6D95935-CE7F-402F-A7C9-D3432E7215B5.thumb.jpeg.34938d4d373f0b2dc5d58db9c1284f90.jpeg

Nice

I opened a KC 9 year to celebrate a little, as my wife got some good news at work.  Maybe next will be VOB or WT.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

2013  Birthday Bourbon after work, today.  This bottle has been open for 7 years, and I’ve not gone to it much in recent years as I forgot where it was.  ?.  At first, the nose seemed a little off, but the whiskey was delicious.  Some light oakiness and a wonderful butterscotch candy note with a light floral undertone.  I don’t remember if that is what I detected upon opening in 2013, but it’s that way now, and it was terrific.  The nose worked it’s way out eventually as it sat, so probably just some funk from sitting idle needed to escape.  

3ECCBEBD-561F-41B0-BC4C-2E0A2BC4F1D3.jpeg

Gahhhhhh!!!!!! This my absolute favorite year for this and the year I bought one I did not know better to buy more than one.

Good on you to still have some.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I opened a KC 9 year to celebrate a little, as my wife got some good news at work.  Maybe next will be VOB or WT.

Well don't leave us hanging! What's the good news?

• I like it 1

This is more of a summary of that last week and a half or so:

I finally bought my first Baker's since the switch to the fancy new bottle and single barrel designation. I was a huge, huge fan of the original Baker's so I was very skeptical of the change.

I'm extremely happy to report that Baker's still delivers. At least this barrel. It remains to be seen if they remain consistent from barrel to barrel but I went through this bottle a little too quickly.

Russel's Reserve 10yr. I've just been crushing this.

4RSiB. It's back. Used to be my favorite, slipped a bit for a few years, now it's back to being amazing. 

OF1920. These bottles have a leak. There's no other explanation.

Stagg Jr. An older one from the bunker. Why is this so good?

• I like it 7

last night I made up 25lbs of deer sausage to put in the smoker this morning. Once I was done I sat down to relax with a nice pour of 1920 to cap of the evening.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Double C's said:

last night I made up 25lbs of deer sausage to put in the smoker this morning. Once I was done I sat down to relax with a nice pour of 1920 to cap of the evening.

That’s a lot of sausage. Just made 2 lbs of  venison salami yesterday. Haven’t gotten a deer in 4 years. Made a sandwich for lunch today. So good.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

That’s a lot of sausage. Just made 2 lbs of  venison salami yesterday. Haven’t gotten a deer in 4 years. Made a sandwich for lunch today. So good.

that amount of sausage will last me about 2 years. I was drawn for a local county park managed hunt this year and got to harvest 3 deer there and also killed a doe back in October. With 4 deer on the year I hung up my bow for the season since my deep freezer is almost stuffed to the max. My goal is to not have to buy ground beef ever. That way I know where my meat came from and since I process it myself I know that it was handled safely. I blended in some brisket fat trimmings I had with one of my batches of burger meat and it makes hamburgers so good that I could pass them off as all-beef hamburgers. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Well don't leave us hanging! What's the good news?

She got a promotion.  It's more like, we're going to make it official, what you've been doing at work for a long time. ?

• I like it 7

Enjoying a pour of Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Cask Barrel Proof.  I was impressed with this when I first opened it, as I expected it to be blah.  Half through the bottle now, and the additional air time has made it even better.  Really fudgey pour (with a tough of that Dickel note).

• I like it 2

Started out with a small pour of MM SE4 PR5.  It is like chewing on an old popsicle stick with some of the flavor still on it.  It is very dry and has a strong oak profile.  I was tempted to make a cocktail out of it but didn't want to ruin the soda.  I will set it aside for one more try and then likely gift the remainder of the bottle to a co-worker.  He loves swapping bourbon samples.  He will just get a little more than usual.  

Second pour is a little larger.  Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  Much better.  I purchased for $63.99.  Fair enough.  Definitely wouldn't pony up the MSRP ($85) for it.

This is what happens when I stray from my typical favorite distillers - WT, FR, HH, OF, BT.  But, the journey is about adventure.  It is always worthwhile to step outside of the box, or your wheelhouse, to explore new things.  One example is New Riff.  I have yet to have a bottle that I didn't enjoy.  A little pricey for the age but a nice diversion from WT101 or OF100 which are my regular pours.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Having some of that WSR from the recent surprise purchase and I have to say it's starting to hit the spot very nicely. I rarely drink wheaters any more so I think the first couple pours of one when I do come off as too mild and tame because I'm used to the bolder flavors. I'm starting to appreciate the nuance in this one and the sweeter flavors seem stronger to me now. It's the perfect Christmas season pour.

• I like it 3

Broke out a bottle of MB Roland's Black Dog tonight.  I know White dog isn't for everyone, but this just has such a unique profile it's good to open every now and then.  

48 minutes ago, flahute said:

Having some of that WSR from the recent surprise purchase and I have to say it's starting to hit the spot very nicely. I rarely drink wheaters any more so I think the first couple pours of one when I do come off as too mild and tame because I'm used to the bolder flavors. I'm starting to appreciate the nuance in this one and the sweeter flavors seem stronger to me now. It's the perfect Christmas season pour.

Since the wheaters are working strongly I figured I'd follow up with a pour of the recent PVW15 purchase and wow is this delivering. There's more oak than I remember from the early bottles I purchased back in the day but the 40 layers of caramel is still there.

• I like it 4

I had a blind flight of Beam bonded bourbons. I ranked them OGD, Old Tub, and JB Bonded last. To be fair, the JB was just opened today and felt really hot on the nose and palate. The others had each been open for a few months.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Since the wheaters are working strongly I figured I'd follow up with a pour of the recent PVW15 purchase and wow is this delivering. There's more oak than I remember from the early bottles I purchased back in the day but the 40 layers of caramel is still there.

Good call.  Enjoy that bottle!

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Good call.  Enjoy that bottle!

There's a lot of wheater love in my near future. Since it's my Christmas season pour I'm going to bring up a Weller 12 and a RY10yr soon.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

There's a lot of wheater love in my near future. Since it's my Christmas season pour I'm going to bring up a Weller 12 and a RY10yr soon.

Sounds great. I'll be right with you closer to Christmas

^^^^ I’ve been enjoying some WSR myself.  It’s a great opening pour and I find the current iteration to be very consistent.  

I’ve also been tearing up some David Nicholson lately.  Since I don’t care for 

Larceny, the DN has become my $21, readily available, easy sipping wheated go to pour.

• I like it 2

Did a sbs of 2 of the Jewel  BT sb pics. both were very good, one being sweeter while the other being much more woody, while watching the new documentary "Zappa" (which i highly recommend!).

fortunately i have 2 more of these Jewel barrels - there are 5 or 6 different sb.

20201210_202017.jpg

• I like it 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:56 PM, flahute said:

Russel's Reserve 10yr. I've just been crushing this.

Well gosh. I can't fault you for this comment. When I first noticed this (maybe circa 2013ish?) I thought heaven fell to a shelf I could reach? But I would warn others this could be a bourbon gateway for the easily attainable and totally delicious 101. :) 

Picked this up while shopping at Mega-Bev today. This is their store barrel pick. This is the first bottle of Rebel w/o the Yell that I have seen or had. It is okay, corn mustiness on the front end reminds me of Larceny. At $35 for the bottle, I would rather buy Larceny and pocket $10. 

065808F2-154A-47CF-8AF4-9DB14F78FCBD.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.