What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

I seem to have fallen into a "rut" of OF 1920 and FRsmBS.  Since I'm off tomorrow, I'm hitting those again today.  I can be very content with these, as long as I could add RRSiB into the mix along the way...

add an ECBP and an ER/EHT to that and you are set!!

• I like it 1

The private barrel pick from Taconic Distillery I was in on with a local group finally landed (if you're interested in the story, check over in the craft section). Very happy with it, it's some really tasty stuff! Low rye mashbill, 125.8 proof, unchillfiltered. 

IMG_1001.jpg

• I like it 1

First pour was a 7yr 3mo Bakers SiB. I decided to stay with the 107 proof and ho to Saffell. 

20201207_205909.jpg

• I like it 3

21 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Having a generous pour of Larceny, thanks to my generous uncle Ken. Cheers @fishnbowljoe?

What happened to uncle Doucé? ?

Biba! Uncle ?????

• I like it 1

First pour of the 2020 Four Roses LE SmB. This is a fantastic drink. Will go so far as to say it is the best FR I have ever had. 

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 8

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Early Times BiB.  I prefer this over the last OF100 that I had. 

Thanks a lot Kepler. ? You got me to thinking that I might have to open one of each and do a sbs. The problem is that I only have one of each in my bunker. ? The OF can be found in my area without too much trouble, but the ET BIB  has seemingly disappeared. 

Biba! Joe

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks a lot Kepler. ? You got me to thinking that I might have to open one of each and do a sbs. The problem is that I only have one of each in my bunker. ? The OF can be found in my area without too much trouble, but the ET BIB  has seemingly disappeared. 

Biba! Joe

Well they are close, so don't sweat it too much Joe.  I have an unopened recent vintage OF100 sitting around somewhere and this makes me realize that I need to do a SBS

The future of ET bib is up in the air with the recent acquisition, but for now there is still plenty on the shelves here in Texas.

Edited by Kepler
P.S., I should qualify my earlier post that the last OF100 bottle I had opened was an older version bottle, not the current bottle which some have claimed is improved.
  • I like it 1

Last night, I had a glass of Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel.  Of the 3 bourbons I've had that went into a second barrel (OF 1910 and WRDO) this was by far my least favorite.  I'm going to let it sit for a couple of weeks and try again.

10 hours ago, Radioyada said:

First pour of the 2020 Four Roses LE SmB. This is a fantastic drink. Will go so far as to say it is the best FR I have ever had. 

Love to hear it... Grabbed one Friday and cannot wait to crack it.

Didn't think much of the Belle Meade Reserve 108 when I first opened it a month ago; but over the weekend and tonight, I am digging on the Cherry/Apple Bomb that it is...

• I like it 1

Fantastic local store pick. Makers knocked it out of the park with this imo. Brown sugar on the palate. 

F65D69AE-B93F-43DB-A5B0-D7B551D951D9.jpeg

2019 WLW tonight while catching up on The Mandalorian.  We were two episodes behind, and having to ignore any references to the show at work sucks.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Wlrogers said:

Fantastic local store pick. Makers knocked it out of the park with this imo. Brown sugar on the palate. 

F65D69AE-B93F-43DB-A5B0-D7B551D951D9.jpeg

I enjoy a brown sugar profile.  I generally like MM46 PS but finished bourbons are typically not in my wheelhouse.  I started out with a pour of Maker's SE4 PR5 and it is hit or miss for me.  Fourth pour out of this bottle and it just isn't clicking.  I followed up with OGD BIB to recalibrate.  It seemed a little muted by the Maker's.  That's ok, I will hit a pour of New Riff just to see if I can get a hit.  You can strike out on any given night but it is always fun playing the game.  Even with a strikeout, sometimes you still make contact but just not as solidly as you would like and in the end just don't get the hit.

• I like it 1

Jim Beam Distiller’s Cut with some mixed nuts and dried apples, followed by Very Old Barton 100.  

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I enjoy a brown sugar profile.  I generally like MM46 PS but finished bourbons are typically not in my wheelhouse.  I started out with a pour of Maker's SE4 PR5 and it is hit or miss for me.  Fourth pour out of this bottle and it just isn't clicking.  I followed up with OGD BIB to recalibrate.  It seemed a little muted by the Maker's.  That's ok, I will hit a pour of New Riff just to see if I can get a hit.  You can strike out on any given night but it is always fun playing the game.  Even with a strikeout, sometimes you still make contact but just not as solidly as you would like and in the end just don't get the hit.

When that happens to me I try a straight rye and sometimes it hits the spot perfectly.  If that doesn't work then I go to a well aged George Dickel whiskey like their 13 yr BiB or some of the Barrell blends that include Tennessee distillate. That will cut through an off palate for me usually. But some folks don't care for GD bourbon so there's that.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

A couple of years ago a number of us here declared that OF 1920 was the best new release of the year.

I'm happy to report that this bourbon remains among the best of the regularly available bourbons on the market.

So good.

• I like it 5

I had a small pour of a ps Larceny last night. Not bad. Not bad at all. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Was experimenting with some blending tonight.  Landed on a 50/50 mixture of 2011 THH and a 2010 Blanton's.  It's an interesting taste I can't really describe, except to say it explodes on the initial taste, feel, and nose.  However, with some time it is an excellent finisher.  I'm thinking maybe a drop or two of water may help, even though that's not my usual route.  Like I said, I'm experimenting.  

Kanpai!

• I like it 1

Had my right knee scoped yesterday. So I waited a day before having a drink. Had  some Blade and Bow tonight. Probably have one more pour from this bottle. The knee scope went well. Much less pain now. Used a cane today but can probably do without it tomorrow. 

• I like it 4

2013  Birthday Bourbon after work, today.  This bottle has been open for 7 years, and I’ve not gone to it much in recent years as I forgot where it was.  ?.  At first, the nose seemed a little off, but the whiskey was delicious.  Some light oakiness and a wonderful butterscotch candy note with a light floral undertone.  I don’t remember if that is what I detected upon opening in 2013, but it’s that way now, and it was terrific.  The nose worked it’s way out eventually as it sat, so probably just some funk from sitting idle needed to escape.  

3ECCBEBD-561F-41B0-BC4C-2E0A2BC4F1D3.jpeg

• I like it 5

A couple of small pours of MM 101 this evening. Getting a little sweet fruity flavor way in the background. This may sound odd, but it’s like a mix of cherry and grape. :blink:  Reminds of when I was a kid and my older sister worked at DQ. My favorite Mister Misty slushy was a cherry and grape mix. Good stuff.

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.