What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went into a store somewhat off my beaten path, but that’s known to get some good selection. I passed on everything, mostly because it was all $5-10 more than at my local, and because even the things I don’t see at my local didn’t have much interest for me. The only exception was one bottle of Parker’s Heritage 10yr Heavy Char. Got me kind of excited, until I was told they’re asking $500. Easy pass in that case, which further solidified my complete comfort in not buying any of the other more modestly overpriced stuff. 

• I like it 2

“Passed” on a 14 year Old Fitzgerald BIB because it was being held behind the counter until the store manager gets back from vacation to put a price on it. This store usually keeps their prices around msrp so I’m really hoping it’s still available when I go back. 

I did walk out with a RY 100 for $15 though

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, parksmart said:

W12 - $159.99

Blanton’s - $149.99

?

Yikes! That's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

W12 - $159.99

Blanton’s - $149.99

?

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yikes! That's ridiculous.

Sadly, that Weller 12 would have likely sold out quickly here.

• I like it 1

On 11/10/2020 at 7:15 PM, Clueby said:

Got a text today from a liquor store that BTAC was in stock and a link to order before it went out to wider audience.

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

They are all sold out at those prices except for GTS.  Insane.

The same store just dropped a "special release sale' on VW:

ORVW $1000

Lot B $1100

VW Rye $2500

VW15 $2500

VW20 $3500

VW23 $4000

The sad thing is that they will.sell.

• I like it 1

Yesterday I saw a store pick WSR sell for $90 on a local group FB page. 

A year and a half ago I traded the same pick to someone for HM10. I guess the joke was on me ?‍♂️

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

A year and a half ago I traded the same pick to someone for HM10. I guess the joke was on me ?‍♂️

And here I thought a semi-local stores Weller SR pick was over priced last year at $49.99. WTF? 

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Yeah and I thought last year's local BBQ restaurant pick was high at $40. It was a really good pick too.

LLS had:

SAOS Rye 4 year 117.6 proof - $49.99

HH BIB 7 year - $49.99

HMcK10 - $59.99

ECBP B520 - $69.99

Blanton’s - $129.99

I had to take a little drive today to take care of some bidness. I stopped at a store I haven’t been to in a while. They used to have fairly decent prices. Well, it appears that they’ve turned vegan. TATERS! ?

On a shelf behind the counter were a few bottles. I had to ask what the prices were.

$300.00-Old Fitzgerald Decanter (didn’t ask the batch number)

$189.99-Blanton’s

$49.99-Weller SR

After I was told the prices, I was asked if I wanted anything. I just shook my head, said no thanks, and headed towards the door. As I reached the door I heard, “ Okay then, thanks buddy.” I didn’t say anything. My wife would have been proud of me. Here are my thoughts now though. “Yeah, thanks for nothing asshat. Here, hold this for me.” ? Heee, heee, heee. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to take a little drive today to take care of some bidness. I stopped at a store I haven’t been to in a while. They used to have fairly decent prices. Well, it appears that they’ve turned vegan. TATERS! ?

On a shelf behind the counter were a few bottles. I had to ask what the prices were.

$300.00-Old Fitzgerald Decanter (didn’t ask the batch number)

$189.99-Blanton’s

$49.99-Weller SR

After I was told the prices, I was asked if I wanted anything. I just shook my head, said no thanks, and headed towards the door. As I reached the door I heard, “ Okay then, thanks buddy.” I didn’t say anything. My wife would have been proud of me. Here are my thoughts now though. “Yeah, thanks for nothing asshat. Here, hold this for me.” ? Heee, heee, heee. ?

Biba! Joe

It is always disappointing to go to a store that you used to visit frequently or just occasionally only to find out that they have become part of the boom.  Smaller price increases I attribute to market demand and availability but extraordinary pricing saddens me.  I believe we all know that the markup on the products you mention is significantly higher than it was only a few years ago.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

LLS had:

HH BIB 7 year - $49.99

HMcK10 - $59.99

ECBP B520 - $69.99

Blanton’s - $129.99

That SAOS Rye would've found a nice and cozy spot in my bunker. 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is always disappointing to go to a store that you used to visit frequently or just occasionally only to find out that they have become part of the boom.  Smaller price increases I attribute to market demand and availability but extraordinary pricing saddens me.  I believe we all know that the markup on the products you mention is significantly higher than it was only a few years ago.

There aren’t many liquor stores in my area that are fair and reliable any more. Only a couple. I can probably add our new Binny’s to that short list. We have a couple that could be classified as “tweeners”, but other than that, the majority of liquor stores in my area have become big disappointments over the last couple of years or so. With retirement lurking on the horizon, I’m glad I have a fairly deep bunker. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Supposed to be a regularly stocked ongoing item per SAOS.

16 hours ago, parksmart said:

LLS had:

HH BIB 7 year - $49.99

HMcK10 - $59.99

ECBP B520 - $69.99

Blanton’s - $129.99

Maybe it's my inner-tater coming out, but I think I would've pulled the trigger on the HHBIB.

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

If it was Indiana distilled it definitely would have come home with me as well. 

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Maybe it's my inner-tater coming out, but I think I would've pulled the trigger on the HHBIB.

Have you had it?  When it first arrived in the Bay Area, I gave into my inner tater and bought a bottle.  I then did a SBS with HH 7yr BiB, HH 6yr BiB and EW BiB and the 6yr edged out the 7yr and they were all pretty close.  Needless to say, that's the last HH 7yr BiB I will buy.  It's good.  Just not $50 good, IMO.   

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Have you had it?  When it first arrived in the Bay Area, I gave into my inner tater and bought a bottle.  I then did a SBS with HH 7yr BiB, HH 6yr BiB and EW BiB and the 6yr edged out the 7yr and they were all pretty close.  Needless to say, that's the last HH 7yr BiB I will buy.  It's good.  Just not $50 good, IMO.   

I've heard that from reviews on the forum.  The problem is I can't get my hands on the 6yr BIB now and I stated I was acting like a tater since I've never even tasted it :).

11 hours ago, fosmith said:

If it was Indiana distilled it definitely would have come home with me as well. 

It is MGP

Not a bourbon, but I did see a local shop post online they have WTRB Rye for $65. That seems a bit high. I called my go to local. They told me when they get it it will go to their whiskey rewards first. So I guess it's semi-allocated here for a bit. Seems fine with me. Makes it easier to continue not buying anything until 2021.

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Not a bourbon, but I did see a local shop post online they have WTRB Rye for $65. That seems a bit high. I called my go to local. They told me when they get it it will go to their whiskey rewards first. So I guess it's semi-allocated here for a bit. Seems fine with me. Makes it easier to continue not buying anything until 2021.

Similar to what I’ve seen. Fairly scarce still, and more expensive than WTRB bourbon.  But, the rye is quite tasty

On 11/6/2020 at 7:11 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I can’t agree more. I used to be able to get ER for less than $30.00 here. When it’s on any shelves now,  it’s $38.00-$50.00. Not many years ago, I could drive up near Milwaukee and get it on sale for $19.99. Yep. Vosgar didn’t believe me. We took a trip there one time and sue enough, they had it on sale for $19.99.  At the beginning of this year I could get it at a store just across the state line for $28.99. No more. :(

Biba! Joe

Everything about this post is spot-on.    During our annual trek to Mt Snow, in Dover, VT, there's a 7-11 with a liquor store attached, on the main drag. Years ago, it  selling it for $19.99 a bottle and they did that for a few years.  I would always pick up a case.  I'd keep a bottle, and the rest were gifts.   Not a huge fan but discovered that adding a splash of Stagg Jr, (any release), really makes it sing.

Passed on waiting 3 hours outside at 5am for a WFP store pick... Store has 7 around the state and only got 30 bottles... Not worth it to me.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.