What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished the night with a blind sample from @0895.  This one absolutely delivered with a nose that I thought had notes of artificial candy coating (something I normally get in older (dusty not higher aged) bourbons. The palate was rich and full with so many different flavors I could not pick out.  Drank so far below it’s proof and I guessed it was a WT product and 100-110 proof!   

My first time trying the Hazmat ECBP and it was a wonderful end to the celebration!

DA66AFB6-DEBD-4AE2-A926-70DB87D53B5E.jpeg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Finished the night with a blind sample from @0895.  This one absolutely delivered with a nose that I thought had notes of artificial candy coating (something I normally get in older (dusty not higher aged) bourbons. The palate was rich and full with so many different flavors I could not pick out.  Drank so far below it’s proof and I guessed it was a WT product and 100-110 proof!   

My first time trying the Hazmat ECBP and it was a wonderful end to the celebration!

Sounds like a great evening!  Happy Birthday!  

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy Birthday Buddy.

• I like it 4

On 1/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

The OFBB was the winner for both of us. Burnt brown sugar on the nose gave way to a viscous luscious palate.

C4C99D17-6AFF-4039-8422-81112CB2A6B0.jpeg

After reading this, I couldn’t resist.

Pretty sure you have a 2019 bottling there.

For comparison sake, I saved an ounce of my ‘18 bottling 

The ‘18 is more caramel forward and quite delicious, but the ‘19 is amplified with more brown sugar and cherries.

Absolutely wonderful!

9E531F88-AF69-4CAB-8E8F-34D47D4AB289.jpeg

• I like it 1

The intense cherry cola notes I am getting tonight in this Last Millennium bottle are really nice.  I don’t remember that from earlier tastings of it.  Really nice.  

98176D45-9532-484D-ABB8-201CE9EFFC20.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 1/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, 0895 said:

For comparison sake, I saved an ounce of my ‘18 bottling 

The ‘18 is more caramel forward and quite delicious, but the ‘19 is amplified with more brown sugar and cherries.

Absolutely wonderful!

9E531F88-AF69-4CAB-8E8F-34D47D4AB289.jpeg

Loved the ‘18 OFBB.

3 different pours from 3 different bottles on 3 different nights of the ‘19 OFBB all paled in comparison to the ‘18, at least to my palate. 

On 1/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, 0895 said:

Yep, 2019.  Specifically chosen for the 11 year age statement!  I am actually not sure if I have ever tried the '18 or not.  I think just the '16 & '17 which I recall not being over impressed with.  The '19 was excellent.  Unfortunately, I do not see many more bottles on this in my future.  Both on a cost and availability basis.   

• I like it 2

I earned my money this week.  Joey worked hard.  Beginning decompression with a SB.Com PS Heaven Hill Select Stock.  It was the 2 barrels SB picked of these that told me how great a well done secondary barrel finished bourbon could be.  

16295AD2-93CF-49D5-B765-F67431BE5813.jpeg

• I like it 10

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I earned my money this week.  Joey worked hard.  Beginning decompression with a SB.Com PS Heaven Hill Select Stock.  It was the 2 barrels SB picked of these that told me how great a well done secondary barrel finished bourbon could be.  

16295AD2-93CF-49D5-B765-F67431BE5813.jpeg

Fantastic bottle and I only have one left.

• I like it 2

Enjoying a pour of MMCS. My fave batch. It is really good. I needed this after this week. Come on weekend. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Enjoying a pour of MMCS. My fave batch. It is really good. I needed this after this week. Come on weekend. 

Cheers

This MMCS just is so under appreciated. 

Next up WTKS. Another classic. 

Cheers

On 1/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, GeeTen said:

No, the "edit feature" is now under the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner of your recent post.  Just click on the dots!  Ask me how I know . . . .   🤣

Nice one. Hahahahaha 

It started several months ago with a couple of $0.99 minis I picked up during a pre-Covid business trip.  Then, a couple pours at an outdoor bar during Covid.  Then a bottle a few months ago.  Now another bottle pick up here, recently.  For my palate, Beam Black has never been better.  Gone are the sooty and tannic notes of the 8yr version and even the double aged, and instead I get the classic  Beam profile,  with a bit less peanut nuttiness, and a more rich oak backbone.  I always thought that the prior iterations were somehow manipulated (rickhouse location?) to get as much charry oak flavor as possible to simply mimic an  uber-aged bourbon. It seemed unbalanced and, well...sooty!  Nothing wrong with extra aged bourbon as I enjoy many twice the originals 8 year age, but it must be more integrated into the entire profile, rather than being overtly front and center and dominating from front to back, for me.  It just wasn’t, but now is, IMO.  This is going to be a regular pick-up for me.  

3FC3E4FD-79C6-4D4F-B259-45722138C214.jpeg

• I like it 4

My son and I had some Pappy 15 this afternoon. Good times.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, Rhettro said:

This

F931CBCD-FDC6-4971-A2A3-B2FFBB1AE71B.jpeg

A nice store pick of 1792 Full Proof can be an excellent experience.  I have had several 1792 Full Proof bottles.  The store picks are a different level than the standard bottle.

• I like it 1

Started with a pour of a new bottle of WL12.  Just awesome.  I believe it is a level above the few bunkered bottles I have.  My wife even remarked how creamy it tasted.  It's Saturday Night.  Unlike Elton John, it is not for fighting.  Instead it is for drinking.  Followed up with a pour of one of the best standard FRSiB bottles I have had in a long time.  I bought two and will be sending the last one to the recycle bin tomorrow.  I wish I could find more of  the same barrel.  Unfortunately, FRSiB disappears from the shelves pretty quickly in my neck of the woods.  I am saving the last pour for Championship Sunday.  Then followed up with a pour of Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  I am saving the last pour for Championship Sunday.  A man has to pace himself.

• I like it 1

Enjoying the last couple pours from an older EC12, back when they still had a real natural cork.  I emailed HH a couple times to ask them when these were bottled per laser code on the bottle, but I never heard back.

This one has some generous barrel char settled at the bottom of the bottle and into my glass it went.  Pretty damned impressive for the regular 94 proof version.  I sure miss having the EC12 on store shelves.  Luckily I have a case stored in my stash, thanks to a very generous family member who thought ahead back in 2015 and gifted me not just a bottle but a whole danged dozen!

• I like it 6

I went up the Weller ladder tonight.  Started off with the 12 yr, followed by the Antique, then the full proof.  

The 12 yr was a nice start with layers of flavor and a nice balance of sweetness and leather.  Easy sipping, with a warm and lingering finish.

The Antique, as expected, started hotter and drink with less complexity and a thinner mouthfeel.  It was a fresh private select single barrel pour that did develop nicely as we drank through it.  I love the extra bite of the OWA, but the finish is simpler than that of the 12 year.  Regardless, the real treat awaited...

The full proof was also a fresh private select single barrel.  From the get go it presents itself as a superior whiskey.  The extra proof is noticeable, but in a very smooth and refined way.  Luxuriously silky and smooth on the palate, with a very balanced and flavorful flourish of caramel, cinnamon, light fruit and leather.  Simply wonderful, and easily the best of the three!

• I like it 4

23 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I went up the Weller ladder tonight.  Started off with the 12 yr, followed by the Antique, then the full proof.  

The 12 yr was a nice start with layers of flavor and a nice balance of sweetness and leather.  Easy sipping, with a warm and lingering finish.

The Antique, as expected, started hotter and drink with less complexity and a thinner mouthfeel.  It was a fresh private select single barrel pour that did develop nicely as we drank through it.  I love the extra bite of the OWA, but the finish is simpler than that of the 12 year.  Regardless, the real treat awaited...

The full proof was also a fresh private select single barrel.  From the get go it presents itself as a superior whiskey.  The extra proof is noticeable, but in a very smooth and refined way.  Luxuriously silky and smooth on the palate, with a very balanced and flavorful flourish of caramel, cinnamon, light fruit and leather.  Simply wonderful, and easily the best of the three!

Nice write-up.  And my own palate agrees with everything you said.  That WFP is something else for sure.

• I like it 2

Now I poured myself some SAOS SiB 11 year.  Good choice because it manages to make a smooth transition from the dusty EC12 that was hitting the spot.  Not much drop off which is saying a lot.  

• I like it 2

On 1/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, GeeTen said:

No, the "edit feature" is now under the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner of your recent post.  Just click on the dots!  Ask me how I know . . . .   🤣

Thank you Gee. I see now, how I missed the edit feature on the three dots.  I misunderstood your post. My bad.

Thanks  again for the help.  :-))

Cheers

• I like it 1

Headed over to my dad’s house this afternoon to watch the Packers game. He’s a big cheese head so we both brought out a few of our favorite bottles. 

712149A7-7D2F-442F-85E5-E8A4B967E0BF.jpeg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.