What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, SouthATL said:

Headed over to my dad’s house this afternoon to watch the Packers game. He’s a big cheese head so we both brought out a few of our favorite bottles. 

712149A7-7D2F-442F-85E5-E8A4B967E0BF.jpeg

Nice.  Packers fell a little short, but your whiskey lineup is a winner.  Well done!  

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice.  Packers fell a little short, but your whiskey lineup is a winner.  Well done!  

TB12 strikes again.  Boy we miss him up here . . . . . . .   😪

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

TB12 strikes again.  Boy we miss him up here . . . . . . .   😪

Father Time is historically undefeated, but somehow TB12 has him in a headlock right now.   Look at how Big Ben, Rivers, and Brees are all throwing the ball at the end.   Then look at this guy - just wow.

• I like it 3

Sipping on WT101 with a puzzled mind.  I didn't want to jump the gun, so have waited until I’m well into this bottle to say anything, but this recent bottle has a distinct grassiness to it that blooms just over mid-palate and lasts through the finish. Definitely, not in the profile that I’m used to from it.  It’s not necessarily off putting to me, but since it is so noticeable, perhaps it is.  🤔  WT has been so awesome in recent years, that I’m going to mark this up to an anomaly for some reason, but I look forward to another bottle from another store in hopes I find it is just that...

BTW, I can’t find the laser code on the bottle.  Where do they usually put them?

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sipping on WT101 with a puzzled mind.  I didn't want to jump the gun, so have waited until I’m well into this bottle to say anything, but this recent bottle has a distinct grassiness to it that blooms just over mid-palate and lasts through the finish. Definitely, not in the profile that I’m used to from it.  It’s not necessarily off putting to me, but since it is so noticeable, perhaps it is.  🤔  WT has been so awesome in recent years, that I’m going to mark this up to an anomaly for some reason, but I look forward to another bottle from another store in hopes I find it is just that...

BTW, I can’t find the laser code on the bottle.  Where do they usually put them?

Unless it is an older bottle, it is etched in the glass beneath the back label.

22 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Unless it is an older bottle, it is etched in the glass beneath the back label.

Thanks!  I see it now.  

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I remember opening a er10 after putting up a fresh christmas tree and the whole bottle tasting like a fir. The best i could guess the alcohol took in the notes of the tree.

Butterscotch for days.  Dark as midnight.  Nowhere near over oaked.  Thick and syrupy.  The cool thing about this is that BT threw this whiskey in a big French Oak cask in 1989.  19...89.  
New ways, innovation, out of the box thinking...

63E2BBC4-24A4-4494-985D-CDFB5A80CF97.jpeg

• I like it 8

I can confidently say that the High Rye is my favorite iteration in the 1792 lineup.  Another butterscotchy bourbon that reminds me of ND distilled Old Taylor.  Not a lot of currently released butterscotch forward bourbons our there to my palate, so this is a very welcome outlier.  

596A741E-0529-48E3-964C-CFD619D041CA.jpeg

• I like it 6

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I can confidently say that the High Rye is my favorite iteration in the 1792 lineup.  Another butterscotchy bourbon that reminds me of ND distilled Old Taylor.  Not a lot of currently released butterscotch forward bourbons our there to my palate, so this is a very welcome outlier.  

596A741E-0529-48E3-964C-CFD619D041CA.jpeg

It is really good. I haven't had it in a while, but I remember an eggnog note that was delicious. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

It is really good. I haven't had it in a while, but I remember an eggnog note that was delicious. 

Cheers

The egg nog note is probably the same note I describe as butterscotch.  Similar in nature, but it registers differently with different palates!  Great tasting, nonetheless!  

Starting the weekend here with a AAA 10 Yr after a looooong week.  

2301571F-AB8A-4E69-9AA0-C942C093308D.jpeg

• I like it 6

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

How is the 10 yr?  I've never had the pleasure of trying the old 10 year. I have an unopened "10 Star" handle somewhere in the bunker however, Lol.

How does it compare to other mashbill #2?  Sorry I should probably just use the search function 🤫

The SAOS SiB 9 was excellent but decided to take it up a level in proof so poured myself some Stagg Junior 129.7 proof. I can't remember the batch number off the top of my head  (and too lazy to look it up right  now) but I do believe I bought this bottle in 2016.

Side note, ...I've no idea why we all refer to Junior by "batch number" since they don't even publish a batch number on the bottle - they just list the proof.  Seems taterish...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The egg nog note is probably the same note I describe as butterscotch.  Similar in nature, but it registers differently with different palates!  Great tasting, nonetheless!  

2301571F-AB8A-4E69-9AA0-C942C093308D.jpeg

I'm sure you are correct the same note for different palates. Always funny how different everyone is.

One thing is for sure, it is great tasting. For me it was something I only experienced with that bottle. 

Your AAA 10yr looks appetizing. :-))

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Clarification on palates

Having a nice pour of  4R Mr. Al Young. Always impresses. Tonight the 23 yr OBSV is shining gloriously. 

Cheers 

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Having a nice pour of  4R Mr. Al Young. Always impresses. Tonight the 23 yr OBSV is shining gloriously. 

Cheers 

That is on my Mount Rushmore of 4R releases.  👍🏻

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

That is on my Mount Rushmore of 4R releases.  👍🏻

I have to agree. Although, I haven't had all of the 4R LE releases. I think only 8 different bottles, combinations of SiB, SmB & of course the aforementioned Mr Al Young. Also an especially spectacular OESK PS

Cheers

• I like it 1

A bit of KC 12 yr, tonight.  Solid whiskey.  

0E4D4D53-7199-4FAB-8FAB-2599784385F6.jpeg

• I like it 5

A little bit of Barrel Bourbon 14 y.o. that I picked up in Cape Girardeau MO a couple of years ago.  Following that with some J.T.S. Brown BIB.

I’m having a very short, nightcap pour of a ps OFSB. I shoveled twice tonight, and might have to again in the morning. 🥶

Biba! Joe

On 1/29/2021 at 1:03 AM, smokinjoe said:

Wow, like ND butterscotch? This is good news that I did not expect. I'm going to have to track some of this down!

Edit: I love Egg Nog too - this is starting to get disturbing!

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.