What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

30 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Wish I could find some 22LR...and 9mm!!!

We'll talk in February . . . . .   🤫

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Frank .. i ve been payin $95 for 200 green tips..i just buy whatever is available. I think the target will feel pretty bad after experiencing either one. 

That's a pretty good recent price.  My IWI Tavor X95 loves the IMI 77gr.  But that's like buying Blanton's Gold stateside (see how I got back to bourbon to not hijack this thread????!   🤣

• I like it 4

Haven’t posted in a while, but have picked up a few bottles of Maker’s Mark 101 and a bottle of Knob Creek 12 Year Cask Strength.  I opened one of each, and very pleased with the proof increase of the Makers, and even though the Knob Creek is $89.99, dang is it good.  Better than most, if not all of the private barrel selects from stores.  It’s a good one.  Brown sugar, caramel, oak, spice, deeply concentrated, and so very smooth at 120.5 proof.

B1EDBEF9-CBF4-4EBE-9476-CD0C2609680D.jpeg

• I like it 7

26 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

Haven’t posted in a while, but have picked up a few bottles of Maker’s Mark 101 and a bottle of Knob Creek 12 Year Cask Strength.  I opened one of each, and very pleased with the proof increase of the Makers, and even though the Knob Creek is $89.99, dang is it good.  Better than most, if not all of the private barrel selects from stores.  It’s a good one.  Brown sugar, caramel, oak, spice, deeply concentrated, and so very smooth at 120.5 proof.

Now, that's what I'm talking about!  I haven't seen the KC 12 year CS in Indy.  I would be happy to find both on my next shopping trip!

Edited by mbroo5880i

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Now, that's what I'm talking about!  I would be happy to find both on my next shopping trip!

It was a good trip.  The 101 proof for Makers is great, as a bonus on the packaging, it says unfiltered!  The Knob Creek Cask Strength 12 year is really an exceptional bourbon, the price hurts, but the quality is undeniable.

• I like it 1

it was a bit out of my way, but I took a drive today to get a store pick. Haven't seen these around lately so I hope it was worth the drive.

20201231_114844.jpg

• I like it 8

On 12/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, AlfaLarreo said:

Here’s my fall haul, hopefully more to come in winter 2021.

53036CED-CB40-46E6-8E85-FB8DC6FBDF58.jpeg

Since I just joined I lumped these together, they actually came from two different days.  The Barrell and Garrison was one day and all the rest came from a turnaround trip to Kentucky in November.  You can’t really tell from the picture, but the AE on the left is the Tawny port finish.

• I like it 2

On 12/31/2020 at 7:29 PM, Double C's said:

it was a bit out of my way, but I took a drive today to get a store pick. Haven't seen these around lately so I hope it was worth the drive.

20201231_114844.jpg

Is that the one from the Wash, MO gas station? Interested to hear your take.

39 minutes ago, AlfaLarreo said:

Since I just joined I lumped these together, they actually came from two different days.  The Barrell and Garrison was one day and all the rest came from a turnaround trip to Kentucky in November.  You can’t really tell from the picture, but the AE on the left is the Tawny port finish.

A bit of dinero invested there but you look to have picked up some great bottles.  

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

A bit of dinero invested there but you look to have picked up some great bottles.  

I’m retiring soon, so these are retirement bourbons.  With lotteries getting harder and harder to win (although still trying) and refusing to buy on the secondary market, I’m using alternative strategies to get high end stuff.        

• I like it 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:36 PM, Respectfully said:

There’s three bourbons in there. 😊 

dBuOPM3.jpg

The 2013 Dunn Howell Mountain is a great Cab!  Haven’t opened one for some time, but a good vintage for Dunn.  Nice pick ups.

• I like it 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:41 PM, Jazz Nut said:

You have my attention with that KC12 CS. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, AlfaLarreo said:

I’m retiring soon, so these are retirement bourbons.  With lotteries getting harder and harder to win (although still trying) and refusing to buy on the secondary market, I’m using alternative strategies to get high end stuff.        

Cool! That is a good strategy.  As you note, finding higher end bottles and winning lotteries has become increasingly more difficult.  You look to have done picking up some great bottles that you can enjoy during your retirement.

• I like it 1

Grabbed a bottle of FIghting Cock 103 at Woodmans. This stuff is better than it should be for a good proof and $16. How does Heaven Hill put out so many tasty whiskies that don't break the bank?

TP

• I like it 1

I've made a habit to steer clear of this supplier in the past due to their pricing strategy.  This was actually reasonable ($55) and $10 went to a local stray animal rescue so I caved in.

20210102_142515.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

I've made a habit to steer clear of this supplier in the past due to their pricing strategy.  This was actually reasonable ($55) and $10 went to a local stray animal rescue so I caved in.

20210102_142515.jpg

I agree with the comments on the supplier.  Haven’t bought much there in years, but every once in a while they have a decent sale on something pretty good.  With this and the recent bourbon raffle that donated to the food bank (I donated over a 100 items), maybe they are changing their ways.

9 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

20210102_142515.jpg

Have you tried it yet? Interested to hear how it is. Based on my past conversations with the manager there I am curious to know if they even sampled this barrel prior to selection or if they just took what was offered to them by the distributor. They usually don't sample the Knob Creek picks they have had in the past. They will just ask the distributor for the oldest barrel they can get.

9 hours ago, Double C's said:

Have you tried it yet? Interested to hear how it is. Based on my past conversations with the manager there I am curious to know if they even sampled this barrel prior to selection or if they just took what was offered to them by the distributor. They usually don't sample the Knob Creek picks they have had in the past. They will just ask the distributor for the oldest barrel they can get.

I won't lie, I'm biased towards WT. I enjoy this pick, but I've yet to have a RR SiB pick that wasn't worth the price. 

I've only had 1 pour so far. I'll revisit it later this week. 

50 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I won't lie, I'm biased towards WT. I enjoy this pick, but I've yet to have a RR SiB pick that wasn't worth the price. 

I've only had 1 pour so far. I'll revisit it later this week. 

I am not very experienced with the RR picks, WT101 is a different story however. I've only gone through one bottle so far of it. I have a few bottles of it now sitting in the bunker and my older ones don't have the dump & bottling dates on them. The store pick I just bought the other day and this one are both <9 yrs old. Is that common for RR picks or is the demand driving down the age, similar to how the Booker's batches keep getting younger?  

On 1/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, Respectfully said:

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. And there’s very few of us left. Lol

Thank you!!  I started getting into wine around 2012, when limited bourbon became harder to find 🙂.  Now I alternate between the two.  Really into Mike Smith wines (Carter, Myriad, Quivet, Becklyn, etc.), but also love the legacy producers such as Dunn (a few others), and the up and comers like DiCostanzo, Greer (though not so new anymore), etc.

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I am not very experienced with the RR picks, WT101 is a different story however. I've only gone through one bottle so far of it. I have a few bottles of it now sitting in the bunker and my older ones don't have the dump & bottling dates on them. The store pick I just bought the other day and this one are both <9 yrs old. Is that common for RR picks or is the demand driving down the age, similar to how the Booker's batches keep getting younger?  

Their picks are 8-10 years old. It seems to vary based on which warehouses they are pulling from at the time. The taste profile varies quite a bit from warehouse to warehouse. In general RR SiB is quite a bit different from WT101

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Thank you!!  I started getting into wine around 2012, when limited bourbon became harder to find 🙂.  Now I alternate between the two.  Really into Mike Smith wines (Carter, Myriad, Quivet, Becklyn, etc.), but also love the legacy producers such as Dunn (a few others), and the up and comers like DiCostanzo, Greer (though not so new anymore), etc.

Nice!  I sold off most of my cabs this past summer.  Kept MACDONALD, Greer, Piper and Corra.  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.