What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last Friday picked up a couple of Luxco (single barrels?)  Figure both to be around 5 yrs-ish, and 107-113 proof for $35 and $40.  Sherlock's has had some nice picks over the years, so cautiously optimistic (and if not great, at least not breaking the bank).

IMG_20210115_160155.jpg.78fac7cb98a6fe933def72e277e59327.jpg

• I like it 1

I haven't seen anything too exciting at the stores here in the past few weeks, so I took the opportunity to revisit a few things I haven't had in a while, and to try something I've never had as well.

I had yet to try MM101, but the store down the street from me had a few bottles of left, so I finally got around to picking one up. It seems pretty similar to the MMCS I had recently... at least the sweeter & light spice notes are very similar... but the MM101 has an interesting finish. It seems like it's about to get really bitter & just fall apart, but just before that happens, it shifts into this nice, prominent dry oak note before fading out. Compared to the MMCS, the MM101 takes you on a bit more of a voyage from sip to swallow, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either if you're paying around $40.
817967522_MakersMark101-1b.thumb.jpg.b33dc5bbd673bd91a2446ae72ace0f62.jpg

Then I saw OGDBiB is on sale for $20 this month at the NC ABC stores (normally priced at $24 here these days). This was my "go to" bourbon back in the day, and I drank so much of this stuff in my 20's that I don't really remember my 20's very well anymore. I almost always drank it with a mixer though, so for quite some time I've been wanting to give it another try to see how it is neat. I gotta say, I'm very impressed. For me, it's a nice cinnamon spice bomb with a good bit of sweetness in there. I feel like it's a noticeable step up from the EWBiB (which I had been using for cocktails & the occasional neat pour), and just a tad shy of the complexity I get from WT101 (which has recently become my daily). Both the OGDBiB & the WT101 go on sale for $20 here almost every other month. So between the two, I don't think I'll have any problem regularly finding a great $20 bourbon for my daily sipper/cocktail whiskey.
1939028618_OldGrandDadBonded-2b.thumb.jpg.ec68095323675d6e9040f95a2caf9b3c.jpg

When I first started regularly drinking bourbon neat, RR10 became my "go to" for a long time. I've been trying & revisiting a bunch of other WT offerings lately, so it seemed only fitting that I'd pick up a bottle of my first favorite... didn't hurt that it was on sale either. Knowing I can almost always walk into any ABC store in this state & pick up a bottle of RR10 makes me feel perfectly fine with damn near never being able to get ER10 here anymore. Same age, same proof, and a flavor profile that resonates with me a bit more thean Eagle Rare. I feel like this stuff gets overlooked, and almost criminally so... but it that means it's still available, and it's still affordable, I'm not complaining.
1184269660_RussellsReserve10Y-2b.thumb.jpg.39cffe1732af373d65807d7f568d4609.jpg

• I like it 4

Per my comparison in the Tasting section vs. MMCS, I picked up a couple more MM101's today at the $30 sale price. Given it's a limited release I figured I better move it or lose it. Used a couple gift cards, so it was like it was free!

I have way too many bottles in the cabinet; someone please tell me to stop!

• I like it 2

Okay, I finally caved and bought a bottle today. I ain't telling y'all what it is,  just 'cause. Sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield 'round here. "No respect I tell ya'."  😒

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

15 hours ago, GaryT said:

Last Friday picked up a couple of Luxco (single barrels?)  Figure both to be around 5 yrs-ish, and 107-113 proof for $35 and $40.  Sherlock's has had some nice picks over the years, so cautiously optimistic (and if not great, at least not breaking the bank).

IMG_20210115_160155.jpg.78fac7cb98a6fe933def72e277e59327.jpg

you inspired me - I already had the Rebel and then added an Ezra Brooks today.   Both Ohio picks.

• I like it 1

I had some good luck in Jersey yesterday -  I picked up a Kentucky Spirit inexplicably priced at $47,  which is less than the store's price for Rare Breed.   WTKS is typically around $65 in Jersey and unavailable to my knowledge in Pennsy,  so this was a nice bargain.   It's also an excellent sip - from Warehouse "K"  and a classic WT vanilla n' leather bomb.

I also found a Jim Beam 11-year Brown Rice Bourbon  (350 ml size)  marked down to $22.     This I want to compare side by side to my dwindling bottle of Little Book Chapter 4,   the blend for which is based on 4-year Brown Rice bourbon,  to which is added 7-year cask strength Knob Creek and 8-year Booker's rye.     Perhaps I can isolate the flavor notes attributable to the rice.   

• I like it 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:54 AM, Kepler said:

Nice pickup.  I really like the 1792 BiB picks I've had.  A big fan of various other Barton BiB products as well (those who know, know 😉).  I think somehow the Barton juice is just best around 100 proof.  Most (not all, but most I've had) 1792 Full Proofs are unbalanced on the hot side.

Agree .  Of course, it isn't just Barton juice that tastes best at 100 proof.   I've only found to date one 1792 BIB store pick,  and that soldier was mustered in and out of service in near-record time.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Okay, I finally caved and bought a bottle today. I ain't telling y'all what it is,  just 'cause. Sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield 'round here. "No respect I tell ya'."  😒

Biba! Joe

I hope Its not Smirnoff Raspberry vodka like Joe has...... :blink:

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I hope Its not Smirnoff Raspberry vodka like Joe has...... :blink:

🤮

• I like it 1

Just arrived in Tucson and first stop was TW. Totally crazy price on Beam Repeal Batch $10.95. JB White was $12.95. I liked Repeal at twice that price but thought it was limited release and gone forever.  Woohoo!

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Did someone visit the HH gift shop for those cute little ECs. 🙂

They did. I had never had a chance at the “Hand Grenades” so it was an easy buy for me. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

They did. I had never had a chance at the “Hand Grenades” so it was an easy buy for me.  

I think you’ll like ‘em. While I readily admit that I’m not the biggest fan of ECBP, I really like the “hand grenades”. I always try to stop at HH to grab one whenever I’m in Bardstown.

Also, If anyone has been to HH lately, are they still limiting the purchase of the “hand grenades” to one per customer?

Biba! Joe

The JD rye was opened and shared at the store and initial impressions  out of a plastic cup are good.  After that my decision was cost driven. MMCS for $34? Yes, please. The OF Ryes were $22 with a $10 rebate when buying two! 

C32C17EE-EC0A-46D1-ACF5-D3E76BC45F7D.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I think you’ll like ‘em. While I readily admit that I’m not the biggest fan of ECBP, I really like the “hand grenades”. I always try to stop at HH to grab one whenever I’m in Bardstown.

Also, If anyone has been to HH lately, are they still limiting the purchase of the “hand grenades” to one per customer?

Biba! Joe

I was there in November and they limited the regular bottles of ECBP to two, so two at the most.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I was there today and the answer is yes  one per.  I was in Bardstown for other reasons and just had to swing in.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, AlfaLarreo said:

I was there in November and they limited the regular bottles of ECBP to two, so two at the most.

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

I was there today and the answer is yes  one per.  I was in Bardstown for other reasons and just had to swing in.

Mucho thanks to you both.👍

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

what else did they have on hand?

Picked up the Thomas Moore Port Cask Finish.  Haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued.  Lengthy finish on these.I can enjoy finished whiskeys, but it has to be done right.

Larceny BP

ECBP C series

grenades

EC18

were the specials.  Otherwise, their normal offerings

17 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Larceny BP

ECBP C series

grenades

EC18

were the specials.  Otherwise, their normal offerings

Thanks - thinking about passing through on a trip to Indiana.

8 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I didnt stop a couple months ago when i was there. I may have to ride over one morning and eat lunch at mammys. What does a man have to do to get into the gift shop?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.