What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nabbed an EC BP B520 I came across at $55 +tax, as well as a replacement OGD BIB (not pictured).

IMG_1154.jpg

• I like it 9

9 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I know these 15 year KCSB barrels are dwindling in the program, so I snagged a couple of stragglers I came across the other day in a random store.  Man alive, these are fiery beasts when first opened (as is this one), but I find them to be very enjoyable once they settle down, and an insta-buy for me at around $50.  I generally love the oak and depth that these older barrels offer, and I can’t pass them up.

742CD304-FAE7-4428-9F04-0DB263D6FBD3.jpeg

I've had several different tastes of these and a few bottles of different barrels, but never a bad one. If it isn't quite your cup of brew, then you can always do a 50/50 with a 9yr. No matter what, it's a good score...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

Read mixed reviews figured I’d figure out for myself. Will uncork this weekend in a long and slow experiment :)

EDIT: c/n resist one small sip!

45064007-25FF-4F7B-AB39-E07011C98862.jpeg

Edited by Hatchertiger

36 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Read mixed reviews figured I’d figure out for myself. Will uncork this weekend in a long and slow experiment :)

Funny, I was curious as well, and just opened one of these and a Willet distilled bottled in bond square bottle version of Old Bardstown. This one initially was off-putting, but a night later kind of grew on me. I have heard it could be Beam, HH, or maybe the new ones are also Willet distilled? Anyone? I bought mine in KY mid december. The Willet BiB has a different profile than this one. I'll revisit both later tonight. Let us know what you think after you get into it!

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I didn’t buy anything today. Quit asking!!! 😬🥶

Biba! Ken

Crabby ol' bastid... Have a drink!!! 😬

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 3

18 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Crabby ol' bastid... Have a drink!!! 😬

THANKS for the push!!  I just did.😉  even if this IS the "purchase" thread.

• I like it 2

On 1/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, CPBourbon said:

E863FADF-7007-4209-AD78-C3493D7A8309.jpeg.e2c56e344baf0b9ff4816027c1f2d5ef.jpeg

Ok, not the most impressive but a first for me since I started this hobby. I know it’s not anything super special, but it was one I haven’t had, isn’t in my collection, and I was looking for it a while because I want to do a HH themed tasting with some friends. 

I had looked and asked at about 6 LS and no luck. Found it at Meijer today for MSRP. Haha...I guess I need to be more observant. 

Actually finding an bottle and at MSRP is impressive.  Enjoy!

On 1/11/2021 at 7:52 PM, bayouredd said:

My last one threw a rod. Time to replace!!!

20210111_135010.thumb.jpg.780bd80b6f8b1d45bba42e8b4859b2d0.jpg

I just tossed an empty to the recycle bin.  Time to buy another.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I didn’t buy anything today. Quit asking!!! 😬🥶

Biba! Ken

You won't last long!

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Actually finding an bottle and at MSRP is impressive.  Enjoy!

Found two bottles of Henry McKenna is LV for $38 each, quite amazed actually.  Now I can finally try it.

14 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

What did you think?  I bought mine before it was Willett distillate and pretty sure it was Beam.  I love the peanut brittle taste so I fell in love with this bottle.

My estate bottled old bardstown was purchased a couple of months ago. Not sure who distilled it. It had a weird funk to it that was off-putting. It has slowly gotten a little better, but it doesn't really suit me. Maybe young Beam?

These 2 have very different profiles!

I was surprised at how much I liked this Willett distilled stuff. I have not enjoyed the Willet pot-still stuff I have tried over the years, but I assume that the pot-still has been sourced? Looking forward to trying more (aged) Willett distillate as it becomes available.

Sorry for the bad photo- 

IMG_6930.jpg.13c0a1e3ec83d4cf90e3a5a1d6d300a6.jpg

Edited by steven s

On 1/10/2021 at 11:49 AM, AndyD said:

I was very surprised to see surdyks getting a pick this year.

I was too!  I’d not have known about it, but through their Instagram page.  I don’t normally go there for bourbon.  The barrel pick is very nice!  Classic Four Roses, surprisingly drinkable at barrel strength.

Pick up two bottles of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit from Ace Spirits today, selected by Eddie Russell, just pooped the cork, smells great!

E97BA2B0-2DDA-4603-BE68-55B1D1A369BA.jpeg

• I like it 3

52 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

Pick up two bottles of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit from Ace Spirits today, selected by Eddie Russell, just pooped the cork, smells great!

I’d a thought a poopy cork would smell pretty s**ty. 💩😂 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

I’d a thought a poopy cork would smell pretty s**ty. 💩😂 

Biba! Joe

Ahhhh!  Darn Siri!  Good catch and too funny.

15 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

Ahhhh!  Darn Siri!  Good catch and too funny.

Sorry Chris, I just had to. 😏 Thanks for being a good sport.👍

Biba! Joe

I never got my hands on the discontinued 6 year HH and I always wanted to try it. At $50 it didn’t feel great walking out of the store but I wanted this in my bunker. 

21D3E4E6-2A1D-413C-9396-C90CDDCCE853.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sorry Chris, I just had to. 😏 Thanks for being a good sport.👍

Biba! Joe

Oh, for sure!  I don’t blame you!  BTW, the WTKS was pretty on profile with maybe a little more Kentucky hug and fuller body than off the shelf WTKS—but it was just the neck pour.  Overall not disappointed, they posted the barrel online on Monday, and it was sold out by mid-day Wednesday.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, PhantomLamb said:

What did you think?  I bought mine before it was Willett distillate and pretty sure it was Beam.  I love the peanut brittle taste so I fell in love with this bottle.

Well I've only taken that one small sip ( but one giant swig for mankind?) and it is definitely unique. It has that traditional "sweet" bourbon taste that I enjoy but there is definitely something else going on.  Looking forward to a full on tasting this weekend. But today is Friday Jr. so maybe ..... 😉

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Friday Jr.  ..... 😉

Dammm, why didn't I come up with that! Good Stuff...

• I like it 2

Thursday referred to here as Little Friday since as long as I can remember being old enough to actually partake in  (and enjoy) the concept.....

Saw Maker's 101 on holiday clearance today for $30 and had to buy one to compare. Didn't crack it yet, though.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.