What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Almost 15 years and sub $50. Last of a dying breed.

What's the final verdict here? Good, bad, bout the same as others???

Edited by bayouredd

10 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

What's the final verdict here? Good, bad, bout the same as others???

You need to be a JB peanut fan to enjoy this one. It has the quintessential JB funk up front and a long tobacco and leather finish. Very good!

5 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

You need to be a JB peanut fan to enjoy this one. It has the quintessential JB funk up front and a long tobacco and leather finish. Very good!

Makes sense. I'm trying to hash out why I like Beam products so much. It took me a couple of years to figure out which one's I liked; now I want to know why...

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Strange look'n bottle

Tremendous bourbon.     The proof is part of the charm.   Is it worth the price?   You decide,  I think its the cat's pajamas.   

2 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Tremendous bourbon.     The proof is part of the charm.   Is it worth the price?   You decide,  I think its the cat's pajamas.   

Thanks for the info. I will give it consideration if I come across a bottle. But seeing one is unlikely around here. 

Cheers

15 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

My bourbon of the year for 2020. Wish I could find more of the aged ones

• I like it 1

These are always store picks in my area. One of my standard buys, I agree the proof is part of the package.

That being said, I mixed equal parts of this and JB Bonded as an experiment. I was pleased with the result, though I wouldn't blend this all of the time.

Visiting Kansas from New York and picked up two bottles so far.  Decided on the Repeal Reserve (series 3) and a 1.75 of Weller SR so far.  

765A8B48-6628-4A9F-87D0-EA9EC027C5A5.jpeg

7244EB42-D604-40D9-8221-0A678B720D78.jpeg

• I like it 4

3C475C59-C0EA-473B-AA09-8091723C7E34.thumb.jpeg.cf4d9d414a9c06d2ad9ab38e5f39b92b.jpegGrabbed a backup bottle because who wouldn’t?  Same ABV as the bottle I got from another retailer...will have to verify the barrels.

• I like it 7

Dang!  An LLS that I go in occasionally told me they sold their 1 bottle of JD SB BP rye for $149.99 this past week.......

56 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

Visiting Kansas from New York and picked up two bottles so far.  Decided on the Repeal Reserve (series 3) and a 1.75 of Weller SR so far.  

765A8B48-6628-4A9F-87D0-EA9EC027C5A5.jpeg

7244EB42-D604-40D9-8221-0A678B720D78.jpeg

It boggles the mind that there are places in the country where cases of Weller sit, when in this area there would be a riot if that happened. The ripoff artists around here have 750's of WSR for $50 or more when they even have any.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, lemonman said:

It boggles the mind that there are places in the country where cases of Weller sit, when in this area there would be a riot if that happened. The ripoff artists around here have 750's of WSR for $50 or more when they even have any.

100%!  Same price for me in NY for a 750 when you can find it.  Wish I could take a couple cases home and share with friends. 

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, lemonman said:

Ditto.  It’s even worse when the good  stores that sell stuff at decent prices can’t get things, but the tater stores do.  🤬

Joe

• I like it 3

E863FADF-7007-4209-AD78-C3493D7A8309.jpeg.e2c56e344baf0b9ff4816027c1f2d5ef.jpeg

Ok, not the most impressive but a first for me since I started this hobby. I know it’s not anything super special, but it was one I haven’t had, isn’t in my collection, and I was looking for it a while because I want to do a HH themed tasting with some friends. 

I had looked and asked at about 6 LS and no luck. Found it at Meijer today for MSRP. Haha...I guess I need to be more observant. 

• I like it 6

Picked up two bottles of a Surdyk’s liquor store Four Roses single barrel.  OBSK, 9 years 7 months, 59.1 % ABV.  Spicy, floral, elegant, well balanced.  Smooth at barrel proof, but I’ll be adding a small splash.  Also picked up my first bottle of WTRB 116.8 proof (just now getting through the 03 batch which was good.  The younger bourbon is evident, but tasty.

970E0A3E-1F92-45B8-A1C5-6826985EE8B4.jpeg

• I like it 6

Every January I vow to make no purchases for the first month of the year since the previous couple of months are always expensive. I always fail. I've made it to very late January a few times but then something comes in that won't be there if I wait. Well this year I only made it to yesterday. My local got in a bunch of 1792 12yr. This was in my early running for best new release of the year until the KC12 came along. I like it quite a bit so I brought home a case.

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ditto.  It’s even worse when the good  stores that sell stuff at decent prices can’t get things, but the tater stores do.  🤬

Joe

Those tater stores may not be acquiring their bottles legitimately.

Something to keep in mind.

22 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Picked up two bottles of a Surdyk’s liquor store Four Roses single barrel.  OBSK, 9 years 7 months, 59.1 % ABV.  Spicy, floral, elegant, well balanced.  Smooth at barrel proof, but I’ll be adding a small splash.  Also picked up my first bottle of WTRB 116.8 proof (just now getting through the 03 batch which was good.  The younger bourbon is evident, but tasty.

970E0A3E-1F92-45B8-A1C5-6826985EE8B4.jpeg

I was very surprised to see surdyks getting a pick this year.

1 hour ago, AndyD said:

I was very surprised to see surdyks getting a pick this year.

I was too!  I’d not have known about it, but through their Instagram page.  I don’t normally go there for bourbon.

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

My last one threw a rod. Time to replace!!!

20210111_135010.thumb.jpg.780bd80b6f8b1d45bba42e8b4859b2d0.jpg

Solid choice sir!

• I like it 2

I know these 15 year KCSB barrels are dwindling in the program, so I snagged a couple of stragglers I came across the other day in a random store.  Man alive, these are fiery beasts when first opened (as is this one), but I find them to be very enjoyable once they settle down, and an insta-buy for me at around $50.  I generally love the oak and depth that these older barrels offer, and I can’t pass them up.

742CD304-FAE7-4428-9F04-0DB263D6FBD3.jpeg

• I like it 9

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.