What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I cracked open a store pick Larceny a couple nights ago, and continued pulling heavily at it this afternoon. I had taken a break after three different PS bottles in short order, but I'm back enjoying one of my faves. Almost too easy to drink...almost.

20 hours ago, ijb said:

photo_2021-02-19_02-26-14.thumb.jpg.c1d88bbe17ff885dedbd505d0446da4c.jpg

Now that’s a solid combo! Reminds me it’s been too long since I’ve had a 1920. I’ll have to correct that soon. 

• I like it 1

Polished off my BT SiB tonight. Bottle was in that limbo zone of barely enough left for a solid pour if I only took my usual measure, so I just tilted it upright to bid it an extra-tall fond farewell. 

The bottle was, on the whole, pretty decent but not much different from regular BT. I did a few blinds with it, CEHT, and ORVW10 over the past few weeks, and each time I favored the CEHT the most, with the ORVW and BT swapping 2nd and 3rd runner up (BT actually took 2nd 2 of 3 times I did it — guess I just prefer the rye mashbill). What really confounds me is that over the three times I did it, even though my “favorite” was always the same, my guess as to which was which were more often than not wrong. 

I hope my honesty about the limitations of my palate doesn’t lose me too much credibility with you lot. 😬 

Cheers!

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 3

On 2/18/2021 at 5:54 PM, HoustonNit said:

This stuff is really good.  I love the EW profile, very well balanced, all the stuff I like in the right dose. I know it’s only 86 proof but this needs more love around.

D30477ED-8A7B-4698-B226-A1EB13F4A8A9.jpeg

Reminds me I need to pick up one of these again soon too. 🤔

On 2/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, JCwhammie said:

Shoveled my driveway.i needed to warm my belly, so now I'm enjoying the best KC Sib I've had. This is a big caramel bomb that's lacking much of the Beam peanut. I absolutely love this barrel. 

20210215_210401.jpg

IMHO it's almost impossible to beat a good KC single barrel pick.  You have to go up a level to the better LE bottlings (like ECBP or better) to outclass it.

• I like it 6

On 2/17/2021 at 8:44 PM, FasterHorses said:

HH90 (just secured another case) and some Crown 16yr Rye. Funny the $14 bottle wins. 

May be true, but I never compare bourbons directly to ryes.  Not an even comparison usually, at least to my palate.  I will usually prefer a good bourbon over a good rye.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, HoustonNit said:

This stuff is really good.  I love the EW profile, very well balanced, all the stuff I like in the right dose. I know it’s only 86 proof but this needs more love around.

D30477ED-8A7B-4698-B226-A1EB13F4A8A9.jpeg

On 2/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Agreed.  I had a couple of bottles over the last 6 or so months, and found it very nice.  Tremendous balance as you say.  Very underrated, particularly for its price.

Agree with you both.  This one used to be very highly thought of, and always landed on those "best" lists.  But it seems like it has gotten tossed aside in the current "high proof or bust" era of bourbon drinkers. It seems like anything under 100 proof is automatically dismissed. It's their loss because they are missing out on a lot of good whiskey... 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Agree with you both.  This one used to be very highly thought of, and always landed on those "best" lists.  But it seems like it has gotten tossed aside in the current "high proof or bust" era of bourbon drinkers. It seems like anything under 100 proof is automatically dismissed. It's their loss because they are missing out on a lot of good whiskey... 

Agreed.  When I first discovered barrel strength bourbon I became a "proof whore".  But lately I've been drinking much more in the 90 proof range such as ER, EWB, RR10, EC SmB SPs, etc.  Not the tongue punch of a barrel proofer but just much easier sipping.  I've got to revisit EW SiB; haven't had it in years..

• I like it 4

Introducing newbies, sipping after a long break, and appreciating the art of slow dilution are all good reasons to enjoy well-done lower-proof entries.  Adding poor-quality water, or watering too quickly can definitely fracture or saponify the whiskey when diluting barrel proofers by the dram.  

Eagle rare, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace are examples currently open in the likker lokker.  

It’s just been too damn cold for me to enjoy a cigar recently.  I’ve been jonesing though.  Sitting on the deck, in dark clothes, and in direct sunlight....it’s almost warm enough.

C99F512C-67FF-418C-87AC-9396C295DBFE.jpeg

• I like it 4

Relaxing on a Saturday's gloaming with a Dickel Barrel Select.   To me, this is the best way to take your vitamins.   It's soft, sweet and layered with flavor.    I prefer it to the new Bottled in Bond and the hyper-aged Dickels I've tasted as private labels.  

I'd go far as to say it's the best bourbon you can find at this proof point.   It's only 86 proof,  curated and well-aged (9 years or so).   This is a perfect proof, and pour,  to accompany a meal.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

Had a margarita on the rocks w/ taco dinner tonight,  then is was:

Buffalo Trace
Man, I try & I try... but I just find this stuff to be incredibly boring. A burst of generic bourbon sweet notes followed by mediocre spice & an almost non-existent finish. It's insane to me that this has gotten to damn near unicorn status in places like my particular area of NC. If anyone else made this same whiskey, nobody would ever think twice about it.

MM101
Ok, that's more like it.

OGD114
Now we're talking.

WT101
Mission accomplished!

Edited by k-train
  • I like it 5

On 2/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, BigRich said:

It’s just been too damn cold for me to enjoy a cigar recently.  I’ve been jonesing though.  Sitting on the deck, in dark clothes, and in direct sunlight....it’s almost warm enough.

C99F512C-67FF-418C-87AC-9396C295DBFE.jpeg

And, of course, utilizing our "natural insulation" doesn't hurt, either.   🤣

• I like it 1

On 2/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, Kepler said:

EWSB used to be 10 years old, then they started to get quite a bit younger.  I think that put some people off.

Even at that, a good barrel is good, and I need to revisit.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:51 PM, k-train said:

Had a margarita on the rocks w/ taco dinner tonight,  then is was:

Buffalo Trace
Man, I try & I try... but I just find this stuff to be incredibly boring. A burst of generic bourbon sweet notes followed by mediocre spice & an almost non-existent finish. It's insane to me that this has gotten to damn near unicorn status in places like my particular area of NC. If anyone else made this same whiskey, nobody would ever think twice about it.

MM101
Ok, that's more like it.

OGD114
Now we're talking.

WT101
Mission accomplished!

Near me, I can find the standard BT almost any time at a grocery store or pharmacy, sometimes even on sale ~ $20.  To me, BT tastes like flat Pepsi Cola with melted ice.  It's not awful, but the others seem much better all around.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And, of course, utilizing our "natural insulation" doesn't hurt, either.   🤣

Damn right!

I’m having an after work pour of the MMCS that I purchased yesterday. This is a pretty good one. It’s Batch 20-04, 109 proof, and it has the vanilla/ pecan, buttery flavor in spades. 

I revel in the fact that I’m the self proclaimed SB Weller Whore. What can I say? This title may also be read as “Wheater Whore”.  😉 As I’ve said numerous times, MM was my gateway bourbon. I full well admit that I have a nostalgic connection to it. There will always be at least one in my cabinet at all times. While other bourbons seem to be MIA from time to time, as of late, MM and it’s different variations seem to be readily available. The recent pricing of their products has also been a pleasant surprise. 

MM-$22.99

MM46-$25.18

MMCS-$37.99

MM 101-$35.99

If I see any at these prices, I flat damn guarantee y’all that at least one is coming home with me. ^_^ 

FWIW, I currently have an equal number of Weller’s and MM’s open. 😲

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having an after work pour of the MMCS that I purchased yesterday. This is a pretty good one. It’s Batch 20-04, 109 proof, and it has the vanilla/ pecan, buttery flavor in spades. 

I revel in the fact that I’m the self proclaimed SB Weller Whore. What can I say? This title may also be read as “Wheater Whore”.  😉 As I’ve said numerous times, MM was my gateway bourbon. I full well admit that I have a nostalgic connection to it. There will always be at least one in my cabinet at all times. While other bourbons seem to be MIA from time to time, as of late, MM and it’s different variations seem to be readily available. The recent pricing of their products has also been a pleasant surprise. 

MM-$22.99

MM46-$25.18

MMCS-$37.99

MM 101-$35.99

If I see any at these prices, I flat damn guarantee y’all that at least one is coming home with me. ^_^ 

FWIW, I currently have an equal number of Weller’s and MM’s open. 😲

Biba! Joe

If there's a Woodman's nearby you can meet/beat those prices. I picked up a MM for $21.99 there last week (in store sale) and last MMCS was $35.99. Not seeing much MM101 anymore around here; saw it at a liquor store for $40, but I stocked up a while ago for much less than that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.