What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, flahute said:

Do not do that damage to yourself! Save that bottle and use it as snow melt for your front walk tomorrow morning.

I'm one of the (very) few that didn't completely hate BL. I never bought another bottle of it after the first one soon after it was released, but I almost liked the shortbread cookie note I found in it. The young graininess kinda killed it, but if the could have found a way to bring more of that shortbread (age?) it might be pretty good. 

I have a bottle of Batch 1 of Smooth Ambler Wheated (not BL) that I guess will remain unopened.

I'm getting through a cold, snowy night with Gary Burton, Jim Hall, Chuck Israels,  Larry Bunker and David Nicholson.    

Quite satsfying stuff, actually, thiis DN Reserve.   My first taste of this,  and it's better HH than any McKenna I've had in recent years.  Leather n' pipe tobacco, maybe?  This'll be an easy decision when it's time to re-up - this was just 26 bucks! 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Awesome, thanks for sharing.  I recall thinking my last bottle not being up to par with recent bottles but thought it might have just been my palate.  So, I should seek out bottles with the LL\G or H for 2018 or 2019?  Trust me, if it makes a different I will check every bottle on the shelf, especially on the back of the shelf, if it yields a bottle with a better flavor profile, even if is just in my mind.

Yes, according to a Reddit post by Bruce Russell, the late 2018 and early 2019 batches contained some 10yo barrels due to the Longbranch release taking up a lot of the younger barrels.  Excellent stuff. 

I’m having a couple of after work pours of a ps  BT from 2019. This one is a bit of an odd bird to me. The manager at this store has done some stellar picks over the years, and our palates usually align. Not so much this time. A number of past BT barrel picks from this store have been rich, sweet, vanilla and nut flavor bombs. 😋 Right up my alley. Not this pick. With this one, the overall flavor is a bit muted, and it has a light, tannic spiciness to it. It really caught me off guard at first. I figured it was just my palate. I waited a couple of days before trying it again. Nope, it had the same flavor. This isn’t a bad bottle by any means. It’s just different, and  I have to admit it’s kinda grown on me. 🙄

I may have to follow the lead of @Clueby. I have three other, different  ps BT’s, and of course, a number of regular bottles. A multiple sbs may be in order. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a couple of after work pours of a ps  BT from 2019. This one is a bit of an odd bird to me. The manager at this store has done some stellar picks over the years, and our palates usually align. Not so much this time. A number of past BT barrel picks from this store have been rich, sweet, vanilla and nut flavor bombs. 😋 Right up my alley. Not this pick. With this one, the overall flavor is a bit muted, and it has a light, tannic spiciness to it. It really caught me off guard at first. I figured it was just my palate. I waited a couple of days before trying it again. Nope, it had the same flavor. This isn’t a bad bottle by any means. It’s just different, and  I have to admit it’s kinda grown on me. 🙄

I may have to follow the lead of @Clueby. I have three other, different  ps BT’s, and of course, a number of regular bottles. A multiple sbs may be in order. 😎

Biba! Joe

This makes me wonder if choices given are not meeting profile barrels and are secondary thoughts; therefore put in the LS queue. I got 2 different LS picks in 2018 and thought neither was as good as the well choices in the bars and restaurants. In fact my last unopened one is in my Stag Jr vatting queue.

As you say, they aren't bad, just no pizzaz.

• I like it 1

Put a hellacious dent in my KC 9 & polished off a Sib over the weekend. What's a fella to do after a drab working Monday?

How about a KC 12 pour or 2...

Heavy duty caramel apple with more prevalent oak than the others mentioned. It even has a tongue numbing effect that makes for a long finish. A bit more oaky than I prefer on the finnish but not overwhelming.

20 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'm getting through a cold, snowy night with Gary Burton, Jim Hall, Chuck Israels,  Larry Bunker and David Nicholson.    

Quite satsfying stuff, actually, thiis DN Reserve.   My first taste of this,  and it's better HH than any McKenna I've had in recent years.  Leather n' pipe tobacco, maybe?  This'll be an easy decision when it's time to re-up - this was just 26 bucks! 

Glad to hear good things about the DNR. I’ve been curious about it for a while now, but have never gotten around to trying it yet. I think NC ABC has it on sale this month, so I feel like I probably should go ahead and give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I can’t get it for $26. It’s normally $35 here & the current sale price is $32.

Edited by k-train

2 hours ago, k-train said:

Glad to hear good things about the DNR. I’ve been curious about it for a while now, but have never gotten around to trying it yet. I think NC ABC has it on sale this month, so I feel like I probably should go ahead and give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I can’t get it for $26. It’s normally $35 here & the current sale price is $32.

I was surprised to find it at $26,  it's usually north of $30,  but the price got me to pick up a bottle  -  and now I'll likely be a repeat customer    

• I like it 1

Sipping some Barton's juice from about forty years ago -  Hiram Walker's Ten HIgh,   from Bardstown with a tax stamp.   Not bad at all,  it starts out with a dry nuttiness and drops some classy vanilla notes at the end.  Just 80 proof,  I do believe I'll have another.           

I went back to the Fighting Cock for round two.  It kept reminding me of something.  I couldn't quite place it.  It sort of reminds me of Knob Creek.  Funny how now and then, HH makes something that tastes like a Beam product.

• I like it 1

Today's my son's first birthday. So of course my first pour after putting him down for the night is from the bottle I opened in celebration when we brought him home from the hospital when he was 3 days old. Cheers to him being healthy as a horse. 

20210203_203644.jpg

• I like it 20

9 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Today's my son's first birthday. So of course my first pour after putting him down for the night is from the bottle I opened in celebration when we brought him home from the hospital when he was 3 days old. Cheers to him being healthy as a horse. 

20210203_203644.jpg

Nice.  Cheers, indeed!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

A couple of pours of ER this evening. 😋 One for the first birthday of JCwhammie’s son. 😁

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.2283890c33476c1b353df52a12d9b04e.jpeg

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A couple of pours of ER this evening. 😋 One for the first birthday of JCwhammie’s son. 😁

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.2283890c33476c1b353df52a12d9b04e.jpeg

Thank you, Joe!! Cheers, sir. 

• I like it 1

Last night was a 1-2 punch of 4RSmB followed by HMcK10. Was really digging the finish on the 4R, and the McKenna was a good change of pace and went down very easy. Good little Friday.

• I like it 1

Quick work trip to the big island that included a little free time was a much needed respite from the long rainy winter of Seattle. 
I closed out the trip with this pour of Booker’s at the hotel bar before catching the red eye flight home. 

19DF0BE2-46BC-494F-A5A2-7F04E1D35F34.jpeg

• I like it 15

2 hours ago, B3Nut said:

Sipping some EWSB in my home studio while racking my brain to write lyrics...LOL

Hang in there Todd. Maybe a switch to some WT would help.😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:01 PM, PaulO said:

I went back to the Fighting Cock for round two.  It kept reminding me of something.  I couldn't quite place it.  It sort of reminds me of Knob Creek.  Funny how now and then, HH makes something that tastes like a Beam product.

It's the nuttiness.

Moved on again to another distillery.  One of those Heinz 57 Bourbon nites for me. 🙄

This one is a Barrell Bourbon SiB Store pick. 13yrs,  Barrel proof and clocks in just under 100 proof. I typically enjoy cask strengths under 110.  Typically for me,  just so much more viscosity & flavors when a lower cask proof. 

Cheers

Went to a sporting clay shoot yesterday and when I got back RY 10y was calling my name. So, I had to go with it... Great bourbon. 
2192E1CA-AAF5-4CB3-B355-ECE95BC6BCFB.thumb.jpeg.77e076a516517f11db8fed144a8053f4.jpeg

• I like it 3

Drained a 10yr old OBSK with a very small pour with our sausage gravy brunch. In keeping with the rules, this was just opened.

20210207_135327.jpg

• I like it 3

On 2/6/2021 at 3:53 PM, flahute said:

Quick work trip to the big island that included a little free time was a much needed respite from the long rainy winter of Seattle. 
I closed out the trip with this pour of Booker’s at the hotel bar before catching the red eye flight home. 

19DF0BE2-46BC-494F-A5A2-7F04E1D35F34.jpeg

Sweet!  Even if work is involved, bourbon and paradise!  #winning

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.