What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m sure this is 16y old Dickel and might I say it’s really good. For $84, I’m in all day on this one. 
CF78AE50-A903-44AC-9E0C-244B7E088948.thumb.jpeg.0665831f99a90d7c1aa633eeaf2ebfd8.jpeg

• I like it 3

did our weekly virtual tasting w/ some friends back in the south east. each week someone sends the others 2 2 oz blind pours.

Tonight's ended up being:

Luxco rebel distillers collection. 113 proof. I enjoyed this, but even after proofing down just a bit, I still had to get through a little astringency and ethanol to find that soft, sweet-cream finish i get with most wheaters. It was there, but not as forward and effortless as with some Wellers. (had a nip of OWA to compare). I will not buy one, but it was enjoyable.

Barrell Craft Spirits infinite Barrel Project february 2019 release. 119.3 proof. This one confounded me for sure. New additions to the project for this particular release were: Polish rye, Polish rye finished in curaçao casks, Indiana bourbon, indiana malt, and Scotch finished in bourbon casks. The nose wasn't too terribly bad, but the taste, to me, was. I got a strong licorice note, as well a little bitter orange from the curaçao barrel. A very small amount of scotch in a blend can go a long way toward messing up a bourbon-based blend in my experience, and that held true for this blend, which was just a mess. The other tasters agreed. Certainly interesting and quaffable, but not super enjoyable to me. 

Misposted in the 2020 thread.

Spent a good portion of the day helping the widow across the street and her family load up a moving truck.  Her husband passed a few months ago and she has decided to move closer to the kids and grandkids.  We have a few more loading days, one trip a day to Lexington.  I am strictly on this end of the labor gang.  We should be finished by Monday/Tuesday, trying to beat some more winter weather heading in.

A large pour of WTKS warehouse O for medicinal purposes.  Never had a O before this bottle.  A very nice profile.  I may let it open up after this for a little while.

image.jpg

Edited 27 minutes ago by markandrex 
CSFS
  • I like it 5

On 2/11/2021 at 2:40 AM, B.B. Babington said:

well yea, that's fair amount in that glass, you do a few of those and empty bottle.  I need to step up to your example rather than wimp sissy pours I do.  I'm currently also using Glencairn but only pour a little thinking to maybe do comparisons.  silly me.

I double checked, and 2 oz. is right about there at the fattest part of the bulb. That's my 1 pour a night level versus sissy pours if doing a SBS or multiple. 🙂

Edited by dad-proof
except for holidays and weekends, natch

On 2/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, markandrex said:

Last sip on a Remus Reserve IV

8116D4DA-4C50-44B6-B710-70EB8D48EBAD.jpeg

I finished one and went back for a second.

• I like it 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:35 AM, flahute said:

I wish everyone could do this.

I did batch B last night and every one was exceptional. Better than the best of batch A. Did Batch C tonight. Three of them were exceptional.

The finals are going to be tough.  

We could if you would buy up a bunch of bottles and send out samples.  😜 We are here for you!

• I like it 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:40 AM, B.B. Babington said:

well yea, that's fair amount in that glass, you do a few of those and empty bottle.  I need to step up to your example rather than wimp sissy pours I do.  I'm currently also using Glencairn but only pour a little thinking to maybe do comparisons.  silly me.

I say cut out the middle man (the glass) and just drink straight from bottle.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Misposted in the 2020 thread.

Spent a good portion of the day helping the widow across the street and her family load up a moving truck.  Her husband passed a few months ago and she has decided to move closer to the kids and grandkids.  We have a few more loading days, one trip a day to Lexington.  I am strictly on this end of the labor gang.  We should be finished by Monday/Tuesday, trying to beat some more winter weather heading in.

A large pour of WTKS warehouse O for medicinal purposes.  Never had a O before this bottle.  A very nice profile.  I may let it open up after this for a little while.

image.jpg

Edited 27 minutes ago by markandrex 
CSFS

First of all, kudos to you for helping a neighbor.  We need more of that in this world.  Second, that is a cool glass.  Third, WTKS can be stellar.  I hope you enjoyed the pour.

• I like it 3

I went with variety over volume tonight. ~1oz each of four different pours. My infinity bottle first while I was cooking Turkey burgers. It contains probably 25-30 different whiskeys at this point, been going for a few years now. It’s pretty drinkable at present, but not among the frontrunners of the night. Second was a SiB BT, which was awesome, followed by a CEHT SmB, which was awesome+1. Then I finished with a HMcK10 which contrasted nicely from the BT sweetness with some oaky tannic notes. The CEHT won the field by a good margin though.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Cajuin said:

Old Forester 1920.

About polished bottle  off and truly enjoyed ever drop.

It's my favorite of the OF blends, glad you enjoyed it!

It's been several years since I have opened one these. Cheers John! We miss you!

20210213_151622.jpg

• I like it 4

Another day of loading followed by some WSR and a few homemade chocolate covered caramels before dinner.

1221B13F-55DA-4888-9753-4BC433442F6E.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Some of the King tonight. 

Very nice Lloyd. Regular ol BT here.

BTW, my son’s dog Harper, says hi to Buddy. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg.0f6f4dc49f3e28772244543ce02e6461.jpeg

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Wife’s a Cubs fan - Brookfield girl.

Tonight, I almost finished that WT 101 handle I found in the bunker but got distracted by Valentine’s dinner - Rye Manhattans pre-dinner, basic Pinot noir with ribeye dinner, and mint mist (shaken vodka + crime de menthe) with cookies for dessert.

sipped on KC 9yo at bedtime.  I wonder where I put that handle bottle?  I sure hope it’s not in the middle of the kitchen floor. . . .

• I like it 4

Rare Sunday afternoon bourbon session due to the cold weather conditions encouraging me to be anchored down.

I'm in a bottle clearing mood so I finished off the last pour of an excellent Rebel Yell 10 yr SiB, and now I'm zeroing in on an Early Times BiB liter that is getting dangerously low.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Edited by Irishod
Mistake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.