What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, beasled said:

I do like the term 'bunker clunker', and Big Level is certainly that. Bottled vomit from start to finish. 

I'm sipping on some Baker's tonight. No vom in sight unless I have too much. 

I have a handful (armful??) of Baker's in the bunker, and you have no idea how close I came to grabbing one of them instead of that last SA BL.  Good news is - I'd already had a short sip of OGD BIB earlier in the day so was able to resist the Siren's Call.  Big Level it is - at least until I eat some solid food. :blink: OR, the dawn breaks.:P

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have a handful (armful??) of Baker's in the bunker, and you have no idea how close I came to grabbing one of them instead of that last SA BL.  Good news is - I'd already had a short sip of OGD BIB earlier in the day so was able to resist the Siren's Call.  Big Level it is - at least until I eat some solid food. :blink: OR, the dawn breaks.:P

I wish you luck then!

I have more Baker's in the bunker than anything else. Many armfuls, in fact! It is rather underrated, not on this forum of course, but sits dormant on shelves here, ripe for the picking. 

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

I do like the term 'bunker clunker', and Big Level is certainly that. Bottled vomit from start to finish. 

There have been a number of occasions where I was undecided as to whether to purchase a certain product or not. Liking wheaters the way I do, the Big Level was certainly on my radar. Contrary to what some folks might think, (my wife included), sometimes I do pay attention. 🤔 Over the years, the reviews of fellow members here have saved me more than a few dollars. I passed on Big Level because of what people here posted about it. Hats off, Harry and beasled. 👍

FWIW, over the years, positive reviews here have cost me a crap ton more more money than I’ve saved.😮 What’s a mother to do? 🤪

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There have been a number of occasions where I was undecided as to whether to purchase a certain product or not. Liking wheaters the way I do, the Big Level was certainly on my radar. Contrary to what some folks might think, (my wife included), sometimes I do pay attention. 🤔 Over the years, the reviews of fellow members here have saved me more than a few dollars. I passed on Big Level because of what people here posted about it. Hats off, Harry and beasled. 👍

FWIW, over the years, positive reviews here have cost me a crap ton more more money than I’ve saved.😮 What’s a mother to do? 🤪

Biba! Joe

Hats off yes, probably because it was the only thing on hand to be sick into. 

Jokes aside, that's what's great about this place - a veritable banquet of seasoned and knowledgeable folk whose opinions can be relied upon to make sound purchase or indeed avoid a vommy bottle purchase. Long may that continue. Though of course that doesn't explain how I ended up with a bottle of said bunker clunker. 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I recall that somebody earlier posted that new KC 9yr is now going for around $30.  Back when (and this is not bragging because at the time I thought I'd WAY overbought) I loaded up with pre-NAS KC at about $23  per 750.  I fully agree that KC 9, even with its rough edges, is drinkable anytime.

And on entirely different subject --

ANYWAY!  Georgetown won by a point, BUT I did not celebrate.  Rather, I used the euphoria to do some prep for the heavy snow  (well, 6-8 inches) we are expecting tonight - rearranged the cars so I can drive the main one away from the house before I clean it off in order to reduce shoveling the parking space, found the snow shovel, brought the car snowbrush in the house, and got my heavy gloves out of the spider web corner of the garage.  What I sipping on?  DO NOT LAUGH!!  As part of my New Year's resolution of reducing bunker clunkers, I opened my remaining Smooth Ambler Big Level.  WHY??  Just watched "On the Waterfront" and am now watching "Captain Blood".  I've seen them enough that I do not have to pay attention and can, in some scenes, do ALL the dialogue.   SO, I be paying attention to the action on the small screen rather than what my taste buds be saying.

EDIT - Oh, yeah, what Bayouredd said - IT IS SATURDAY.

While I don't envy the snow prep but understand fully, I do love the movie choices for a blase', restful Saturday.

However, The Big Level proves that you are tougher than I...

Congrates on the Gtown win; same town that I saw Rocky Horror in 78...🤪

• I like it 1

Enjoying a nice pour of some SB Blend (70/30, heavier on the OWA) .  Started this one back in 2014, although have topped it off at least once since then (maybe twice).  A chocolate covered cherry bomb!

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

JOE!  What beslead wrote about "Hats off" but I did not quote a couple seconds ago hit home.  I bought the SA BL when it came out because I thought John Little, the SA blender, would ensure that its wheated, "Yearling", would not be released before it was ready and that Big Level was IT.  I do recall that, when SA received a capital injection, some of us SBers hoped it would not mean the Big Money would lean on them too much to release too soon.   After I tasted BL, I decided that I'd give SA the benefit of the doubt and blame the marketers and Big Money.

IN SUM - I was glad to throw myself into the breech and to buy two 750s of BL and give it multiple chances to grow on me so you all did not have to.  YOU SHOULDA LISTENED!!  OR WAITED!! 

OTOH, after sipping on this for a movie and a half on TCM, it's not bad. :huh:

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

...FWIW, over the years, positive reviews here have cost me a crap ton more more money than I’ve saved. What’s a mother to do? 

it's all a matter of perspective.  different strokes, different folks.  Among other stuff, I like astringent toxic, nastiness.  But at least in my reviews I note it might kill ya.

23 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OTOH, after sipping on this for a movie and a half on TCM, it's not bad. 

I've been sippin' Sazerac Hand Sanitizer while watching Hardy Boys movie with child.  After several gulps the sanitizer is not bad.  Movie is still bad but maybe get better when finish sanitizer.  

• I like it 2

Some Murray Hill Club Batch #5 tonight, MHC has been one of my go too bourbons over the past year or two. I just picked up a Batch #20 recently and looking forward to trying it soon. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I saw several bottles prominently featured at a store today with a nice sale.  So, it would have been less expensive to try.  But, I recalled what I read here and just walked on by.  I realize that we all don't have the same tastes or preferences but too many people's whose tastes are comparable to mine have given this one a thumb's down.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What I sipping on?  DO NOT LAUGH!!  As part of my New Year's resolution of reducing bunker clunkers, I opened my remaining Smooth Ambler Big Level.  

Do not do that damage to yourself! Save that bottle and use it as snow melt for your front walk tomorrow morning.

• I like it 3

I open a newly purchased (today) store pick of RRSiB.  My motivation was to give it a try to see if I should buy more before the sale ends.  I got this one for $48.  Obviously, my motivation was a ruse.  I already knew it would be stellar.  My real motivation was to drink a solid bourbon on a cold Saturday night.

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

I open a newly purchased (today) store pick of RRSiB.  My motivation was to give it a try to see if I should buy more before the sale ends.  I got this one for $48.  Obviously, my motivation was a ruse.  I already knew it would be stellar.  My real motivation was to drink a solid bourbon on a cold Saturday night.

Endorsed.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Do not do that damage to yourself! Save that bottle and use it as snow melt for your front walk tomorrow morning.

Too much good bourbon to not have to drink bad bourbon.  Snow melt, drain cleaner, cookie additive.  We should start a thread on what to do with undrinkable bourbon.

• I like it 3

I finally got to try the no age statement Fighting Cock.  I removed the collar covering the cap.  This bottle was filled higher up the neck than any bottle I remember - up to about 3/4" below the cap.  I poured it, and noticed a nice chain of bubbles around the inside of the glass.  These remained a while.  I recall from somewhere, this characteristic referred to as "beady".  The old pre fire DSP 31 Dant did this in a big way.  How does it taste, maybe no big surprise, very similar to some other familiar HH brands.  I compare this to EW BIB, with just a slightly drier profile.

• I like it 4

Sipping a squirt of Old Tub (a just for the halibut buy last night.) Rather enjoying it as the snow falls and John Coltrane flows from the speakers...

I really like the current Fighting Cock especially for the $16 it sells for at Woodmans. I can't say I've ever had an expression of that standard HH mashbill I didn't like...Evan Williams Single Barrel is a near-constant and if I'm short of cash, out of whiskey, and at the local grocery a 1l bottle of EWB invariably hops into my cart...

TP

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Lot’s of snow on the way. I am prepared. 😬

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.f576c93e748cba9ec86a5526493e02de.jpeg

Yes I did. 😉

Doing my first fill-in gig with a new band.  The bar had a choice of McCormick, Old Crow, or EW Black. EW it is.

FB_IMG_1612071339524.jpg

20210130_233549.jpg

• I like it 9

Cracked a bottle of Old Forester 150th (batch 1). Not a ton of oak on it so I don’t think this stuff is necessarily super old. But quite tasty for sure. Drank it neat and to me it didn’t need water or ice, although I’ll probably try it with a little water next time just to see what it does to it. 

Edited by BottledInBond

23 hours ago, Clay34 said:

LL/IB or18 followed by201127, so help me understand this code.  Bottle date of 11/27/2020?

Note, next pour was slightly better, but I have had some 101 that is just a shocker at this price point and it puts an exceptionally large smile on my face. 

Also bought some Longbranch, and my wife enjoys the lower proof.  I would rather drink the 101 or Rare Breed. 

It would be LL/IB for Feb., 2020.  The rest is the day and time.  Here's how to read the Wild Turkey laser codes (copied from Reddit):

LL\ZZ###### Format (c.2013–current)

Beginning in 2014, Wild Turkey moved its bottling back to Lawrenceburg, KY and began to use a date code with format LL/ZZ######. This date code will be laser coded directly on the bottle below the back label toward the base of the bottle. This date code will be laser coded directly on the bottle below the back label toward the base of the bottle.

This date code uses a new alphanumeric date format. The first letter after the slash corresponds to the year of bottling, where “C” corresponds to 2014, “D” corresponds to 2015, “E” corresponds to 2016, etc. The second letter after the slash corresponds to the month of bottling, where “A” corresponds to January, “B” corresponds to February, “C” corresponds to March, etc. The next two numbers correspond to the day of the month of bottling. The final four digits are the time of bottling in 24-hour time format. For example, a date code of LL/DF021000 corresponds to 10:00 a.m. on June 2, 2015.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

It would be LL/IB for Feb., 2020.  The rest is the day and time.  Here's how to read the Wild Turkey laser codes (copied from Reddit):

LL\ZZ###### Format (c.2013–current)

Beginning in 2014, Wild Turkey moved its bottling back to Lawrenceburg, KY and began to use a date code with format LL/ZZ######. This date code will be laser coded directly on the bottle below the back label toward the base of the bottle. This date code will be laser coded directly on the bottle below the back label toward the base of the bottle.

This date code uses a new alphanumeric date format. The first letter after the slash corresponds to the year of bottling, where “C” corresponds to 2014, “D” corresponds to 2015, “E” corresponds to 2016, etc. The second letter after the slash corresponds to the month of bottling, where “A” corresponds to January, “B” corresponds to February, “C” corresponds to March, etc. The next two numbers correspond to the day of the month of bottling. The final four digits are the time of bottling in 24-hour time format. For example, a date code of LL/DF021000 corresponds to 10:00 a.m. on June 2, 2015.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.  I recall thinking my last bottle not being up to par with recent bottles but thought it might have just been my palate.  So, I should seek out bottles with the LL\G or H for 2018 or 2019?  Trust me, if it makes a different I will check every bottle on the shelf, especially on the back of the shelf, if it yields a bottle with a better flavor profile, even if is just in my mind.

Tonight's pour is MMCS 20-04.  I have mentioned recently that I prefer MM101 over MMCS and still do.  However, this one is hitting on all cylinders tonight.  I am not detecting the overbearing alcohol on the nose or taste on the the finish like I have noticed with all but a few batches.  This one is taking me back to my first MMCS.  The last MMCS I had was batch 20-02.  I realize my palate can be off or my preferences can differ over certain periods of time but I am curious to the variability of batches for MMCS.  Do others notice this variability?

Tried to start with WT101 but it wasn't tasting good tonight. Other pours from this bottle have been great so it's not the issue that Joe and others have noted. My palate just isn't into it tonight.

So now trying some KC9yr from before it went NAS and yessssss, that is hitting the spot about as good as it ever has. All kinds of creme brulee tonight.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.